Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:12 PM

19 posts, read 88,290 times

Advertisements

You might remember me from about a month ago posting about weekend rentals for a group of my friends and I. Well, after TWO rentals fell through we finally have a confirmed rental for the weekend (one misquoted me the weekend was available and the second had "scheduling conflicts"... ie... rented to someone else for a week rather than us who had already reserved it for the weekend.... GRR). We're staying in a place on Talman, I think is near Ravenswood?

We'd like some ideas on things to do NEAR Talman Rd, if there are things. What are good places to eat? Good shopping? What about takeout? I know I asked this before with the other rentals... does Ginos East or Art of Pizza deliver to that area?

Our plans so far are to spend the Saturday on the Magnificent Mile shopping and sight seeing etc... doing all that "touristy" stuff.

Sunday we plan to go out to breakfast so we'd love suggestions on somewhere that has good breakfasts (again, somewhere near the rental on N. Talman).

There will be 8 of us there, all in our mid 20's to early 30's. Not into partying or the nightlife scene, we're more going to hang out/relax/spend time together. We were thinking of catching a Tina and Tony's Wedding one night, or maybe some of you have other suggestions on things to see/do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
It would help to know what area on Talman Ave you are talking about. A vague address or cross streets would suffice.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:21 PM

19 posts, read 88,290 times
Oh, duh... LOL!

Ainslie is the nearest cross street I think.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:22 PM

I highly doubt Ginos East delivers that far. Art of Pizza might. Try calling them and asking.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 03-01-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-01-2008, 09:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure Art of Pizza delivers to Talman and Ainslie. If they don't, I'd look into ordering from Calo. They're a fine substitute. One thing to keep in mind though is that Art of Pizza closes ridiculously early -- I think they shut down nightly at 9pm. Calo, by contrast, delivers past midnight.

For breakfast, there's a wonderful little Dutch pancake spot within walking distance called, fittingly enough, "Pannekoeken." They are on the 4700 block of north Western Avenue, which is about 2 blocks east and 2 blocks south of Talman & Ainslie. It's a tiny little place that seats about 20 max, so there may be a bit of a wait especially on a weekend and especially for a party of 8. But it's charming and the food is great. Try the apple and ginger pancake.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 PM

As far as dine in:

If you want eat German food go to the Brauhaus.
Chicago Brauhaus - Lincoln Square - Chicago USA

There is also a decent Greek place called Barba Yianni close to there...
Barba Yianni Grecian Taverna - Metromix Chicago Bars & Clubs

Hot dogs and other fast food:
Chubby's Weiners (Yes it is the real name lol) is pretty decent
Chubby Wieners - Chicago, IL, 60625 - Citysearch

Last edited by Avengerfire; 03-01-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 12:01 AM

Screw the Brauhaus. That's like eating at at the Epcot version of Germany Laschett's Inn on Irving Park or Glunz Bavarian Haus about 5 blocks south of Brauhaus on Lincoln.

Which reminds me, this might be a good time to tell nic073 that the neighborhood she's staying is traditionally a German neighborhood. It's not as German as it used to be but there's still a lot of old-school holdout institutions there: German bars, restaurants, and a community/education/cultural exchange center (DANK Haus).

Old 03-02-2008, 10:50 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Screw the Brauhaus. That's like eating at at the Epcot version of Germany Laschett's Inn on Irving Park or Glunz Bavarian Haus about 5 blocks south of Brauhaus on Lincoln.

Which reminds me, this might be a good time to tell nic073 that the neighborhood she's staying is traditionally a German neighborhood. It's not as German as it used to be but there's still a lot of old-school holdout institutions there: German bars, restaurants, and a community/education/cultural exchange center (DANK Haus).
Funny you should mention Leschett's. I spent 2 nights a week there for a period of 2 years or so. Was quite the regular. If you're familiar with the place, this goes back to when Karl and Hilde were living and working there, along with their son, Karl Jr. No food at that time other than hard boiled eggs at the bar and pretzels.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:02 AM

Oops, I forgot to insert the word "Try" in front of "Laschett's Inn. . ."

Old 03-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
...Screw the Brauhaus. That's like eating at at the Epcot version of Germany Laschett's Inn on Irving Park or Glunz Bavarian Haus about 5 blocks south of Brauhaus on Lincoln...
She wanted to know places really close to where they are staying so I gave her the closest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago