Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,244 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been searching the forums and have seen some topics on this, but I still have no idea where to live!

I'm considering going to Chicago for grad school this fall, either UIC or IIT and don't know where to live. I was raised in the suburbs of Chicago but have been in NYC for the past few years...

So I know Streeterville is very Manhattan-y, which is what I am used to and like, but is probably unaffordable on a student's budget, right? Also, I heard Streeterville is mostly older people (I'll be 25 when I start school).

I am looking for an area with a great city feel (although I know NYC is NYC and Chicago is Chicago) where I don't need a car. If I go to IIT the program I'm looking at is in their downtown campus, and UIC is nowhere near downtow, right? Either way I would need to be close to public transportation (preferably the el, rather than the bus). Ideally I would like to live in the Loop, but I also heard it basically dies at night, kind of like the financial dist in NYC, is that true?? I think many Chicago neighborhoods have more of a NYC boro feel, rather than a Manhattan feel, right?

My budget is around 900/month give or take a little, for a studio bigger than a Manhattan shoebox. I also looked at the Gold Coast, but once again, I imagine that's not really affordable on my broke student income... I am most concerned about the city-life feel to the area (so no suburbs, no Evanston or Skokie). Would like an area with a younger population (20s-ish). I've heard Lincoln Park is good for this, but how easy are the commutes to IIC/UIC since I don't know which school I would be going to yet?

If anyone is familiar with Manhattan, I would like to live somewhere that is similar to either Village, Union Square, certain areas of UES (where the young professionals live).

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 02:26 PM

279 posts, read 759,966 times
You may want to consider Printers Row and the near West Loop (around Greektown). It won't be very active there at nights either, but not nearly as dead as the heart of the loop (like the financial district in NYC). Otherwise, for $900 you may be able to find a studio in an older building in the Gold Coast or River North. Both of those neighborhoods match your description somewhat and do not clear out after 6PM. Finding a studio in Streeterville for below $1000 is probably difficult, but you may get lucky. Check Craigslist and see what you find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago