Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 05:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,547 times

Advertisements

I am attending Loyola univ for grad school. Most of my classes will take place on the Maywood campus. I will probably have to travel to Maywood like 3 times a week. I am willing to have a 30min commute to Maywood. I want to experience urban living with shops and nightlife. I also want to feel safe since I will be a female living alone. My budget is around $900 a month. I have done a little research and Lincoln park, Lake View, and gold coast seem to be good choices. Does anyone know of any other places that would suit my desires? How do places like oak park & bucktown compare? I am open to any suggestions

Last edited by meli21090; 06-09-2013 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 06:01 AM

9,916 posts, read 9,701,485 times
Forest Park, which is the town west of Oak Park has some apartments that are reasonably priced. You can get a nice apartment for less money.. and it is a nice area.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:55 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,103,305 times
Well, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, etc is not going to work for a 30 minute commute to Maywood unless you leave early in the morning when not many people are on the road...coming back home though would be a different story. Not to mention that $900/month in those areas will buy you only a studio..unless that's what you want (maybe a one bedroom in Lakeview, but not a great one).

Anyway, I would suggest looking in an area like Pilsen. Lot of good Mexican food and such, some bars, very artsy there, but not a ton of nightlife. However, it's on the Pink Line train so you can do that. The problem with your constraints are wanting to live in the city with all that nightlife and wanting a 30 minute commute. You are kind of sacrificing that by living there. Or as someone mentioned, you can go to the suburb of Forest Park, which has nightlife and it's not like Chicago but it's better than your stereotypical suburb. It's also the last stop on the Blue Line train which runs 24 hours/day and it would put you close to your school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago