Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What neighbirhoods comprise downtown Chicago
Loop alone 18 22.22%
Loop and Mag Mile 10 12.35%
Loop, Mag Mile, River North 5 6.17%
Loop, Mag Mile, River North and Streeterville 14 17.28%
Loop, Mag Mile, River North, Streeterville and Gold Coast 22 27.16%
Every neighborhood with Loop in the name 3 3.70%
Some other configuration 9 11.11%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 03:10 AM

106 posts, read 201,046 times

Advertisements

The river to the north, just east of Halsted, north of Roosevelt. This is a good link to use for city neighborhood:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comm...eas_in_Chicago

If you see 18 district squad cars you're out of the Loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 09:08 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
[quote=MtMtnMan]The river to the north/QUOTE]

So Marina City, Trump Tower, Merchandise Mart, Wrigley Building, Hancock, Navy Pier, and Mag Mile aren't "Downtown"? Interesting.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:41 AM

398 posts, read 382,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
The southern part of Gold Coast, yes, but remember Gold Coast extends way up north to the southern border of Lincoln Park. I wouldn't include that part. If you're going to include that part you just about have to include Noble Square (uh, sorry, "East Village") and Chinatown, too, in terms of distance from The Loop.
Very good point, SkySky.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
That's funny! No one in Chicago calls North Michigan Ave the Miracle Mile. I never in my life heard of that.. so it must be tourists or something.

About as bad as calling that one place Soldiers Field (plural). no one should call it that. It's Soldier Field
Sure we call Michigan Avenue the Miracle Mile here in Chicago. When we go south of it we're downtown. We go north to get to Beverley Hills, Westwood and Santa Monica.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:28 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Sure we call Michigan Avenue the Miracle Mile here in Chicago. When we go south of it we're downtown. We go north to get to Beverley Hills, Westwood and Santa Monica.
That's funny, I go west to get to those cities from the Miracle Mile.

The Magnificent Mile, so christened by Arthur Rubloff in the 1950s, is well to the east of any of them - as you, but apparently not too many other people, know.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:57 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
That's funny, I go west to get to those cities from the Miracle Mile.

The Magnificent Mile, so christened by Arthur Rubloff in the 1950s, is well to the east of any of them - as you, but apparently not too many other people, know.
Larry, no disrespect to LA (which for the record, I like); but I do mind it being foisted on Chicago.

But turnabout is far play, so did you hear that Rich Melman just announced he is opening a branch of his stellar LEYE restaurant, Lawry's Steak (his mother's maiden name was Lawrystein), in Los Angeles, a smaller, simpler version of the famed Michigan Avenue flagsh........on second thought: never mind.

First it started with Arthur Rubloff and the tag of "Mag Mile", just about when State Street was going down the tubes. Then everything started to explode when Phil Klutznik developed WTP. And since my background is similar to Rubloff's and Klutznik (and actually to a lot of people named Siegel), for unknown reasons, I take some sort of perverse pride in this.

with kudos to Kup, the aforementioned Melman, Turkel, Rahm, JB, Crown, Rosenwald. And, of course, Leopold and Lo......on second thought: never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago