Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 PM

27 posts, read 96,045 times

Advertisements

Ok,

I come from a college town with a small, but vibrant rock scene. And I'm pretty active in it too. (I help run the Battle of the Bands here as well as produce some of my own shows at the theater here)

So, where do the rockers hang out in Chicago?? (Because I've got to have my rock fix)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Man, true rock is dying here. Long live the Lounge Ax.:-(

I do not consider most of the "indie", emo,etc bands of today rock...But thats me.

The Mutiny(a magnificent dive) usually has the most rock bands play. Double Door and Metro have medium scope rock bands play, but not on an everday basis...

Usually not many bars have original rock bands play. For the most part all you will find is tribute,cover,and major acts play within the city limits and that is all. The burbs have many bars that have original rock bands play however.The burbs are your best bet.

Sometimes you can find true rock bands at The Beat Kitchen and Shubas though in Chicago.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Usually not many bars have original rock bands play. For the most part all you will find is tribute,cover,and major acts play within the city limits and that is all. The burbs have many bars that have original rock bands play however.The burbs are your best bet.
Are you serious? My own experience suggests you have this totally backwards. If you think there are no original artists playing in Chicago venues, you're just not keeping up. In fact I'm leaving in about 10 minutes to go see one at Sylvie's, and with that I'll have seen 5 local original-act bands in just the last two weeks.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Are you serious? My own experience suggests you have this totally backwards. If you think there are no original artists playing in Chicago venues, you're just not keeping up. In fact I'm leaving in about 10 minutes to go see one at Sylvie's, and with that I'll have seen 5 local original-act bands in just the last two weeks.
I never said no original "artists." I said original ROCK bands. Rock bands,rock bands, rock bands. Yeah they have some at Sylvies too. I am talking about in general. Rock bands, not emo or "indie" garbage.(Not all Indie or even "emo" is garbage though, but most is...)

The OP said Rock bands right?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-05-2008 at 10:55 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 10:09 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
With over 1000 touring acts coming to Chicago annually, you should be able to find live music of any genre. Use the Reader (free weekly - comes out in Thursdays), the Illinois Entertainer, Chicago Time Out and the Metromix website to look up upcoming gigs. Chicago bars tend to cater to bands with original music, for the most part. If you want to see some good cover bands, the suburbs has a lot of venues that feature both cover and original bands.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:43 PM

Ok..... perhaps I should clarify a bit.

1) I'm not interested in cover bands. If I wanted to hear those songs I'd download them into my iPod.

2) Emo, for better or worse, still counts as Rock. Thursday's a little much for me, but there are less emo bands that I like. "indie" is still a bit too undefined for me to make a judgment unless we were actually listening to it.

MySpace.com - The Last Great Assault - Huntsville/Spring, Texas - Alternative / Hardcore / Rock - www.myspace.com/thelastgreatassault
MySpace.com - Falling North - HOUSTON, US - Rock - www.myspace.com/fallingnorthmusic

Those are some of our local bands.

I'll certainly pick up a Reader when I get down there. (er, up there). I figure it'll take a few weekends before I find the place that fits me. Should be a fun.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherBearkat View Post
Ok..... perhaps I should clarify a bit.

1) I'm not interested in cover bands. If I wanted to hear those songs I'd download them into my iPod.

2) Emo, for better or worse, still counts as Rock. Thursday's a little much for me, but there are less emo bands that I like. "indie" is still a bit too undefined for me to make a judgment unless we were actually listening to it.

MySpace.com - The Last Great Assault - Huntsville/Spring, Texas - Alternative / Hardcore / Rock - www.myspace.com/thelastgreatassault

MySpace.com - Falling North - HOUSTON, US - Rock - www.myspace.com/fallingnorthmusic

Those are some of our local bands.

I'll certainly pick up a Reader when I get down there. (er, up there). I figure it'll take a few weekends before I find the place that fits me. Should be a fun.
The Last Great Assualt is decent musically, but they need a new singer. Ick.

Falling North is much better overall.They need more hooks and some good bridges though. With better production they could be much better.

I just checked out Thursday-God, the lead vocals and backing vocals suck. Why cant anyone sing anymore or at least scream well? Wow. The music is top notch though.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 02-05-2008 at 11:01 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 PM

Yeah, the high pitch is something that kind of has to grow on you, but Jordon is the core of the group. He and the guitarist are brothers.

Joel, the lead for Falling North, has amazing vocals. He used to do Opera.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherBearkat View Post
Yeah, the high pitch is something that kind of has to grow on you, but Jordon is the core of the group. He and the guitarist are brothers.

Joel, the lead for Falling North, has amazing vocals. He used to do Opera.
Well, I will say that even with their faults, both TX bands are better than most Chicago bands I have heard in a long time. Thats just my opinion though. At least I did not turn them off right away which is what I do when I hear most Chicago bands within seconds. Message me. You should bring them up to play here. It would be a good change of pace. I even have a few bands here they could play with.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:16 AM

258 posts, read 1,020,804 times
Move to Wicker park, you'll understand once you're moved.

Six corners alone has: double door, SubT, the note just off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago