Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:49 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,175,527 times

Advertisements

I think the OP isn't even aware of Metra... Cosmopolita, our commuter rail is Metra ( https://metrarail.com/ )

Metra gets you downtown from just about any suburb. Amtrak is for long distance trains service, between cities that re far apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 08:10 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,229,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
There are 3 stations, Union, Ogilve and LaSalle. Union and Ogilve are where most trains arrive, they are both close to each other and on the west side of the loop. From them you can walk anywhere downtown in under 30 minutes, usually much under, depending on where you are walking.
You forgot a station, Millenium.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:46 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,937,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmopolita View Post
Very helpful everyone!
It is such a beautiful city. Looks like rent would be very high.
Do people usually commute 1h+ to work?
That's the case for most of us in Los Angeles.
I think the average is 22 minutes. Also, unlike LA, the commuter trains don't all go into Union Station, there are three other terminals.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:16 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,932,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I think the average is 22 minutes. Also, unlike LA, the commuter trains don't all go into Union Station, there are three other terminals.
22 minutes door to desk would be a very short commute. Most people who commute from the suburbs into the city ride the train for a half hour, plus the time it takes at both ends. An hour door to desk might be a little above average but is not unusual.

Chicago has a huge variety of beautiful and not-so-beautiful suburbs at all price points. If you give more of an idea of what you are looking for, we can be more helpful.

There is nothing wrong with renting in the city either. It is not dirt cheap, but for someone used to coastal California prices, it might seem like a bargain.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:22 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,998,131 times
I definitely can do 22 minutes door to desk if I drive, if I time the bus exactly right I might make it in that time frame. If I walk it's less than 40. I once had a 30 second commute working from home.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:02 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,932,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I definitely can do 22 minutes door to desk if I drive, if I time the bus exactly right I might make it in that time frame. If I walk it's less than 40. I once had a 30 second commute working from home.
I was able to do that when I lived in East Lakeview and worked on Michigan Avenue, but the OP was talking about the suburbs to downtown. We moved from Lakeview to Wilmette so we could send our children to public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: