Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 02:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,078 times

Advertisements

Checking in again, in case anyone has signed up for a new plan yet.

After always signing up for PPO plans, to have the broadest network of doctors and flexibility, I am now considering an HMO plan to save $$. The PPO plans that exist have very limited networks anyway, so in that respect are like HMOs.

What have you chosen and why?

Again, it appears that there isn't a plan that includes Northwestern or University of Chicago hospitals in their network. I was initially going to sign up with BCBS again, which at least has Loyola in their network. The plans have gone up about 10% for me (looking for Bronze plans).

But now I am wondering about CIGNAs HMOs, which include RUSH in their network. I would have to find new doctors though. I have not had great experiences with CIGNA in the past (family member used to have a plan with them). Anyone have any experience with a CIGNA HMO in Illinois?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 04:34 PM

222 posts, read 194,747 times
Everything on market place is BCBS does Cigna meet criteria for aca to avoid fine?

Had BCBS silver advocate HMO last year 370 premium going up to 450 for that Sam plan 2018

Thinking of bronze or a BCBS plan it is silver or gold 500 premium 500 deductable cheaper in the long run if have lots of doctor appointments .

I am quoting per person although I am married so is double what I said.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Me and spouse have always been couple thousand above threshold for subsidy .......

Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmom View Post
What are people's thoughts on the advocate system?
I hate that we won't have Northwestern, U of C or Rush available to us...would mean we'd have to change all our doctors.

An insurance agent suggested that my husband create a group plan (he is self employed - by making me his partner, we could create a small business group and thereby purchase group health insurance), which would open us up to many more plans. Has anyone looked into/done this?
I am pretty sure advicate plan does not exist 2018 we had it 2017 was good but this year there is no advicate plan but you have to search the plans because spouses doctor under advicate plan still covered under some new BCBS 2010 plans in the market place.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
We are still researching but it's looking bad (even on a high deductible) if we want the large hospitals in network. Right now our (very) tentative plan is to go with the Blue Cross Blue Shield plan that is linked to Advocate, since we are near an Advocate hospital and our primary care physicians are linked to Advocate. But it's very discouraging.
What is the name of the 2018 BCBS plan linked to advicate because we had blue Cross advicate plan this year with advicate in the title it does not excist fir 2018.....

Old 12-11-2017, 05:38 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,373,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
What is the name of the 2018 BCBS plan linked to advicate because we had blue Cross advicate plan this year with advicate in the title it does not excist fir 2018.....
The Bronze (HMO) BCBS plan with Advocate in the title was discontinued, but I think there is still a Silver plan with Advocate in the title. However, the Bronze level HMO plan that MIGHT use Advocate (you need to call and confirm) is Blue Precision Bronze HMO 205.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
The Bronze (HMO) BCBS plan with Advocate in the title was discontinued, but I think there is still a Silver plan with Advocate in the title. However, the Bronze level HMO plan that MIGHT use Advocate (you need to call and confirm) is Blue Precision Bronze HMO 205.
Thank you

Old 12-08-2018, 10:30 PM

Well, it's that time of year again.

What Obamacare plan are you choosing? Are you keeping the same one, or choosing another? Why? How much have your costs risen this year?

I stuck with a BCBS bronze plan last year, and didn't have a great experience with them. Only one doctor visit all year, and multiple errors with claim processing, as well as mistakes with their mail order pharmacy. BCBS doesn't have any of the good Chicago hospitals in network - no Northwestern, RUSH, University of Chicago or UIC. They work with Loyola.

My same plan will exist next year and the price is rising a small amount ... from $525 to $550 per month. I am quite surprised, as I assumed Trump's actions in removing the penalty for not having health insurance would cause them to jump more.

Has anyone tried the CIGNA plans or others? Anything to report?

Old 12-09-2018, 08:50 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,521,852 times
BCBS Gold PPO. $630/mo total for both of us. No issues w/BCBS. Wife had major surgery and bills paid in a timely manner, no surprises. Actually paid less for deductibles than expected. A modest premium increase for 2019 of $25. No complaints here.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
BCBS Gold PPO. $630/mo total for both of us. No issues w/BCBS. Wife had major surgery and bills paid in a timely manner, no surprises. Actually paid less for deductibles than expected. A modest premium increase for 2019 of $25. No complaints here.

Wow - you guys must be really young. That is really, really cheap! My insurance is one of the terrible Bronze PPO plans with $6000 deductible. And I pay almost as much as you guys do just for myself! I'm in my 40's.

Good to hear you had a good experience. I am quite unhappy, especially as all of my preferred doctors and hospitals don't take any of the Obamacare plans - including this "PPO" plan. And I basically have to pay $12,200 before my health insurance pays a penny (except for my yearly physical/preventative care).
Painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago