Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 04:44 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

Seemed plenty safe... I lived on Printers Row for a few years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,872 times
Default South Loop - how far to the south and to the west is safe?

I've been living in the South Loop for a couple of years, in a couple of different places...the farthest north being Roosevelt (and Michigan), and the farthest south being 17th (and Indiana). I know that in a matter of blocks, the scenery (and safety) can change. Does anyone know how safe Cullerton and Wabash is? I have 2 small kids. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Check out this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...outh-loop.html

Old 09-05-2009, 10:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenally View Post
Does anyone know how safe Cullerton and Wabash is? I have 2 small kids. Thanks for your help.
I think it's too close to 22nd and State which sports many shadey looking characters and street corner lollygaggers, know what I mean?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,872 times
Thanks Avengerfire and Irishtom29.

I kind've feel Cullerton and Wabash is right on the border between being ok and not ok. If it was Michigan and Cullerton, I'd feel better, but then again, that is only one block away. Can a block in the South Loop really make a difference?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenally View Post
Thanks Avengerfire and Irishtom29.

I kind've feel Cullerton and Wabash is right on the border between being ok and not ok. If it was Michigan and Cullerton, I'd feel better, but then again, that is only one block away. Can a block in the South Loop really make a difference?
Yes, I think so, especially as it's additive, you know, 3 blocks from 22nd and State is better than 2 blocks and if you were another block over on Indiana it'd feel better yet, right?

Old 11-22-2012, 12:01 AM

25 posts, read 41,900 times
Since this post is kinda old, I was wondering if anyone can provide an update on the South Loop presently. I am pretty familiar with it during the daytime, so I was a bit confused after reading some of these posts because it seems relatively safe during the day (or maybe it's because these posts are 4 years old and now things are different...).
Anyways, so how is South Loop now? What other neighborhoods would you compare it to in terms of safety and living? How would you compare it to the UIC/Taylor area?

Thanks. If it helps, I'm looking mostly in the area between Roosevelt and 18th in the South Loop.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM

14 posts, read 30,385 times
The south loop Printer's Row area is directly adjacent to south Grant Park and the Museum Campus. The Roosevelt Collection is also just area the corner as is the Financial District. As much investment seems to be starting southward, the South Loop is a likely candidate for being the next go to place. After all, Lincoln Park and Bucktown are pricier and pricier.

Yes, true, the South Loop used to be home to a big skid row but that's gone now and Columbia College seems to be taking over. Their film school facility is located on State Street. Bronzeville is struggling its way up on its south end.

Developing Bronzeville would tie the Loop to Hyde Park in a consistent level of stability. It is the next step in the long, ongoing redevelopment of the urban core of Chicago, that started some 20 years ago.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblack02 View Post
The south loop Printer's Row area is directly adjacent to south Grant Park and the Museum Campus. The Roosevelt Collection is also just area the corner as is the Financial District. As much investment seems to be starting southward, the South Loop is a likely candidate for being the next go to place. After all, Lincoln Park and Bucktown are pricier and pricier.

Yes, true, the South Loop used to be home to a big skid row but that's gone now and Columbia College seems to be taking over. Their film school facility is located on State Street. Bronzeville is struggling its way up on its south end.

Developing Bronzeville would tie the Loop to Hyde Park in a consistent level of stability. It is the next step in the long, ongoing redevelopment of the urban core of Chicago, that started some 20 years ago.
I would love to see them run a subway line from the Loop through the eastern part of Bronzeville to Hyde Park. I really think if something like that were to happen you would see a massive building boom along the lake side.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:35 AM

33 posts, read 45,395 times
Question The South Loop or Near Southside?

We are Moving from Houston to Chicago. We have one child and two cars. Which would be the better option the South Loop or Near Southside? The commute to our job will be fine for either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago