Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 01:09 PM

302 posts, read 454,120 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some advice.

I had a car that was added to an existing iPass account. Apparently, before it was added, there were toll violations that I am in dispute of. Illinois Tollway is saying I didn't pay violations on this car over the span of 12 months (not that I didn't pay any in 12 months, but I didn't pay about 10-15 days worth over the course of a year) and want to charge me about $20,000.00 because of late fees on about tolls that would probably equal out to $100.00-$150.00 total, I'm guessing because they won't even tell me what tolls were in violation. I was unaware of these violations and kept my receipts from online payments. They sent the violation notices in the mail supposedly to my old address prior to me even owning the car, even though my license never had that old address (just my State ID) and my car was registered at a newer address obviously. With that stated, I asked them to provide me a line of items of what wasn't payed so I can compare what wasn't paid and what was paid. On top of that, I asked for an itemized break down of the fees since they are not posted on the website anywhere. This was 3 weeks ago for tolls in 2012 and they have yet to do so.

Here's the other part. Since my car was added on a iPass account, they suspended all other cars on that account even though I don't own any of those other cars, my name isn't on the registration and the names are completely different. These cars also had been on the iPass for several years before me. It was more of a convenience thing to add my car to an existing iPass account with the other house members. My car was on that iPass for about 2 years now before they suspended it 3 weeks ago.

I thought to myself, okay, while I'm disputing these items, I'm going to go ahead and buy the other members an iPass since they are pissed about the current situation which is no fault of theirs. I bought one, they tried to register their cars under it, and they are still blocked. Even those who the iPass wasn't previously registered under, if their plates were registered, they're blocked still. So that's $40 down the drain there.

To make matters worse, this is all showing up on my credit which is severely dropping my score.

So City-Data, what should I do? I no longer even live in Illinois, but I want to at least allow my former housemates the ability to add their cars to iPass so they don't have to go online everyday to pay for tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 01:13 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,474,182 times
Pay the money you owe! Problem solved. Dispute it in court after if you need to.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Pay the money you owe! Problem solved. Dispute it in court after if you need to.
1)They won't let me pay what I owe which would be $1.50 per toll and $20 each. They want $20,000 which is an absurd amount.

2)They haven't even told me how they calculated it and have yet to provide proof of which tolls were missed even though I have asked for it 3 weeks ago. I was simply told, someone will call me back which no one has.

3)If I told you you owe me $20,000 because you hit my car a few years ago, but you didn't know about it, would you just pay it and dispute it in court later or would you investigate first?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,474,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtamay3 View Post
1)They won't let me pay what I owe which would be $1.50 per toll and $20 each. They want $20,000 which is an absurd amount.

2)They haven't even told me how they calculated it and have yet to provide proof of which tolls were missed even though I have asked for it 3 weeks ago. I was simply told, someone will call me back which no one has.

3)If I told you you owe me $20,000 because you hit my car a few years ago, but you didn't know about it, would you just pay it and dispute it in court later or would you investigate first?
You need to get a lawyer.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,539,559 times
20k!am I reading it right?

Old 08-10-2015, 09:47 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,539,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Would you pay 20k?

Old 08-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
20k!am I reading it right?
Yes 20K. And I still haven't gotten a response from them.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,746,862 times
Sounds unlikely.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sounds unlikely.
What part? If this was a $500 fine, ok, I'd pay it. I'd be upset, but I'd pay it because I know it's on me. Instead, the state has come up with some absurd amount of interest which they haven't been able to explain and expect me to pay it.

The main issue is trying to get an iPass account for the people who this has nothing to do with.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:17 AM

184 posts, read 246,849 times
I'd definitely consult a lawyer and get this taken care of ASAP. I assume you've already read this info on the their website: http://www.illinoistollway.com/docum...aphic_0912.pdf and http://www.illinoistollway.com/docum...GUIDELINES.pdf. You are paying a minimum of a $70 fine per violation, plus the cost of the toll itself, and you are at risk for having your driver's license suspended.

While the other people on your account are not legally responsible for paying your violations, unfortunately, being on the same account has linked them to you. Based on what I read, I don't think there is any way to clear their cars until you pay what you owe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago