Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 09:23 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times

Advertisements

I will be taking a road trip that will take me thru Ohio. I've attempted to research this - but have not found 100% proof that it will be accepted.

Does anyone have experience of using their IPASS thru the Ohio Toll system?

I did read their EZ Pass is accepted here, so i assume so... but you know what they say about assuming....

TIA,

TCS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
equipped to accept I-PASS which can also be used on the Chicago Skyway, the Indiana Toll Road, and on any of the more than 20 U.S. tollroads where E-ZPass (http://www.illinoistollway.com/pls/portal/url/PAGE/Tollway/IPASS_Welcome/IPASS_Using_IPASS/IPASS_On_the_Road/IPASS_Other_Systems - broken link) is accepted.
disregard... I found the answer already... and if i could have deleted this thread... I would have.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 AM

434 posts, read 1,164,466 times
It does work on the Ohio Turnpike (and on the Indiana Toll Road), as you have found. I'm from Ohio orignally so I go back and forth numerous times throughout the year (and it's about time they got EZ-Pass).

The only difference is that there is no "Open-Road Tolling" like in Illinois; meaning, you will have to drive through the narrow toll booths at the west and east ends of the state (and at the exits).

Last edited by sandwalk; 11-17-2009 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: grammatical

Old 11-21-2009, 01:09 PM

thanks sand.... and as we just got home today... I did notice no open road tolling... while i hate paying that tax, but the open road tolling makes it a bit bearable.

I liked the way they do the 'partial' where you go thru the booth just before you get on the tollway and jsut as you get off ... we started just outside of Buffalo on our way back from Niagara Falls.

I was just happy we could use our Ipass on the other states tollways.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 33,112 times
I have traveled the ohio toll road 3 times in the last 3 years and have had problems using my i-pass, when i drive into the toll gate my transponder is not being read and the digital read out tells me to take a ticket, and if i don't take a ticket the gate does not go up, so when i get to the other end of the toll road and go to pay the toll the agent seemed to be irritated that i had a ticket, when i gave them my trasponder and they had to type it into the system, i told them it is not my fault the last toll station would not read my transponder, i will be using the toll road again next month how do i avoid this problem ?

Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
The only problem that I have has with using IPASS in other states is that if you replenish your account you need to wait at least two days to use it. It will work instantly (same day) in IL but for some reason it takes a few days for the other states.

I know this because it happened to me and I had the same thing where the gate would not go up and I had to take a ticket and when I go off the turnpike, the clerk said that my IPASS was coming up INVALID. She then asked me when I added money to the account and I told her that I did it earlier that morning and it worked fine in IL (I had manually added about $70 to my account to cover my trip to Pennsylvania and back). That's when she told me that account replenishing does not take affect for a couple of days in the other states.

So.....just an FYI for those that may be traveling with IPASS in other states. Oh, and it does not work in every state. For instance, does not work on the Oklahoma turnpike.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:48 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Yes, Ohio is one state that honors IPass. Here is the current listing.
Using I-PASS on Other Toll Systems - www.illinoistollway.com

Old 06-15-2012, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 33,038 times
We drove out east in 2011 and used our I-Pass in all those states that had tolls, including Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs