Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Chicago's Future?
World Player 62 88.57%
Flyover Town 8 11.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,420,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Ain't gonna happen in my life or my kid's lives. I could care less.
A) I figured this thread would turn into a conversation about climate change. Just had a hunch.

b) Not planning on having grandkids? Or great-grands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,156,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo13 View Post
you never even lived in the city? your opinion is pretty much moot as far as i can tell, if you're from the 'burbs. all that for nothing, haha...
I have to agree with that statement. You can never get a feel for a city until you've actually lived in it (inside city limits).

Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,695,397 times
I would add that I think you can know the city without living there if you've spent a significant amount of time there, and not just in one or two neighborhoods... which in High School usually doesn't happen.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:08 PM

I agree. I think the catch is if you spent your time in the actual city, or if you just stayed in the burbs.

You can't explain to somebody who hasn't lived in the city how it feels to be getting off work on a Friday, on a sunny, summer afternoon, cruising down Lakeshore with the windows down and the beach at your side...with the whole weekend ahead of you.

Or how that afternoon can turn to night and how the whole mood of the city changes, bars, clubs, plays, great restaurants, house parties, and all other forms of nightlife at your fingertips.

Or how it feels to walk down your block into the local coffee shop or restaurant and chat it up with the neighborhood regulars.

As a suburban kid (who felt he was deprived as a child) who moved to Chicago, but was in love with L.A., I tried to stay as disconnected as possible. I quickly fell in love with the vibrancy of the city. Coming on a year later, I've removed LA from my immediate plans (no knock on LA, I still love the city) and reluctantly made my decision to choose Chicago.

That is why I don't think you can really judge a city unless you actually live in it. (Who knows...maybe I'll move to LA one day and find a new love...ha ha)

Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 PM

809 posts, read 2,414,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I agree. I think the catch is if you spent your time in the actual city, or if you just stayed in the burbs.

You can't explain to somebody who hasn't lived in the city how it feels to be getting off work on a Friday, on a sunny, summer afternoon, cruising down Lakeshore with the windows down and the beach at your side...with the whole weekend ahead of you.

Or how that afternoon can turn to night and how the whole mood of the city changes, bars, clubs, plays, great restaurants, house parties, and all other forms of nightlife at your fingertips.

Or how it feels to walk down your block into the local coffee shop or restaurant and chat it up with the neighborhood regulars.

As a suburban kid (who felt he was deprived as a child) who moved to Chicago, but was in love with L.A., I tried to stay as disconnected as possible. I quickly fell in love with the vibrancy of the city. Coming on a year later, I've removed LA from my immediate plans (no knock on LA, I still love the city) and reluctantly made my decision to choose Chicago.

That is why I don't think you can really judge a city unless you actually live in it. (Who knows...maybe I'll move to LA one day and find a new love...ha ha)
Slightly offtopic, but do you feel that LA can really compete with the urban feel of Chicago? As you are someone who has lived in both places I'd be interested in knowing your opinion.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:48 PM

I haven't lived in both cities. My sister moved out there when I was younger so my extent of the cities has been week long visits and a few extended visits over the summer.

I don't want to start a city war, but no I don't get the same urban feel in LA as I do in Chicago. Don't get me wrong, LA is very urban, in its own way. But in the traditional sense...no I do not.

I think the fact that it was built around the car kinda put it at a disadvantage. But I still love to visit, and you can't beat the weather.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,695,397 times
LA really isn't walkable, which to me is a key aspect of feeling urban. Everyone is always in their damn cars, to me LA feels like a really big suburb in that respect.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,183,930 times
LA is very walkable but certain parts are very suburban looking. Plus LA has a thousand freeways bisecting it. That being said, its also very urban. I think you do LA an injustice because it does not have the downtown core like the Loop. But in fact, parts of LA are just as urban as Chicago outside of the downtown area. On the southside, stretches of Pulaski and Cicero have suburban characteristics.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,867,616 times
Santa Monica is very urban and walkable... And is one of the only parts of LA that I like!

Die LA! Die!

Oh wait, is that starting a city war?

Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,420,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Santa Monica is very urban and walkable... And is one of the only parts of LA that I like!

Die LA! Die!

Oh wait, is that starting a city war?
Hey! You guys wanna talk about that other city? The one that isn't LA? It's big. On Lake Michigan. Not Milwaukee.

Name means "smelly onion".

Ring bells?

Or we could start a new thread called "LA smells like Poop and Cumin".

Either or, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago