Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Chicago's Future?
World Player 62 88.57%
Flyover Town 8 11.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:14 PM

381 posts, read 847,473 times

Advertisements

Besides the politics in the city of Chicago getting better, I want universal health care. Wait, never mind, that's a pipe dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 PM

128 posts, read 174,785 times
Are you joking?!

Do you know how short twenty-five years is?

We are talking about a major world city here! It isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But whoever said that the "second tier" postion is going to get crowded is right on the mark. Let us not forget about little ol' Houston who has now become the global leader for both energy and medicine FOR THE WORLD!!!!! That is simply something that Chicago can not say. Not to mention that Houston has a much more strategic, and attractive postion for buisness seeing how it is right of the Gulf of Mexico and land in Houston tends to be cheaper than Chicago. I do not see Chicago EVER matching NYC on any economic, political, or social level. I also do not see it ever catching up to the combined force of LA, or San Francisco. Both NYC and California are just to powerful. Phoenix's population is exploding and is the most popular place in terms of population shifts from the midwest into the desert. It is far to early to see what Phoenix's economy will be like by the time Houston manages to surpass Chicago in population. I think it is safe to say that it is no longer a question "if" Houston will have the bigger population, but when. Chicago's battle is within that "second tier" category. Good luck Chicago! Houston's economy is powerful!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:40 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,822,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
Are you joking?!

Do you know how short twenty-five years is?

We are talking about a major world city here! It isn't going anywhere anytime soon. But whoever said that the "second tier" postion is going to get crowded is right on the mark. Let us not forget about little ol' Houston who has now become the global leader for both energy and medicine FOR THE WORLD!!!!! That is simply something that Chicago can not say. Not to mention that Houston has a much more strategic, and attractive postion for buisness seeing how it is right of the Gulf of Mexico and land in Houston tends to be cheaper than Chicago. I do not see Chicago EVER matching NYC on any economic, political, or social level. I also do not see it ever catching up to the combined force of LA, or San Francisco. Both NYC and California are just to powerful. Phoenix's population is exploding and is the most popular place in terms of population shifts from the midwest into the desert. It is far to early to see what Phoenix's economy will be like by the time Houston manages to surpass Chicago in population. I think it is safe to say that it is no longer a question "if" Houston will have the bigger population, but when. Chicago's battle is within that "second tier" category. Good luck Chicago! Houston's economy is powerful!
The only way you bash Chicago is by comparing it to other cities. C'mon! You're possibly the most outspoken Chicago hater on this board, and I have yet to read 1 good reason from you to hate the city!

Blah, blah. The truth is, you can't predict what city is going to overshadow another until it happens. Our world is changing at a rapid rate, and the most severe water and food shortages nationwide are happening in the areas that are growing the fastest (the west and the south).

So when you say that cities like Phoenix and Houston will contiually grow without anything significant happening might not necessarily be true. Chicago, luckily, is not at risk for a major drought or natural disaster, at least for now anyways.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm saying that you don't have any sources to back up most of what you claim to be true

Last edited by Nafster; 01-27-2008 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-27-2008, 08:12 PM

And also you have a serious grudge against Chicago for some reason.

What did the city itself do to you while you were growing up?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:27 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,808,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
And also you have a serious grudge against Chicago for some reason.

What did the city itself do to you while you were growing up?
I think it was too tough for him. It turned him into a whimpering whiner.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,700,760 times
Quote:
The only way you bash Chicago is by comparing it to other cities. C'mon! You're possibly the most outspoken Chicago hater on this board, and I have yet to read 1 good reason from you to hate the city!

Blah, blah. The truth is, you can't predict what city is going to overshadow another until it happens. Our world is changing at a rapid rate, and the most severe water and food shortages nationwide are happening in the areas that are growing the fastest (the west and the south).

So when you say that cities like Phoenix and Houston will contiually grow without anything significant happening might not necessarily be true. Chicago, luckily, is not at risk for a major drought or natural disaster, at least for now anyways.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm saying that you don't have any sources to back up most of what you claim to be true
Right. Let's count the natural disasters not posing a risk in Chicago:
Typhoon
Hurricane
Earthquake
Severe and crippling drought

Old 01-27-2008, 09:32 PM

128 posts, read 174,785 times
Quote:

What are you talking about? I don't hate Chicago! I grew up in the west burbs, and although I never lived in Chicago, the city, I still feel strong connects to the city. Mostly because most of my family and friends still live there. The only reason that I post negative Chicago info is because the people on this site from Chicago and its suburbs seem to be living in "la-la" land, and think it is perfection. For every one post that is a negative remark about Chicago, there are at least three Chicagoans that feel it is their appointment on earth to defend it till death. Where I have a problem is where these same people patronize(that is being nice) other forums, and attack them to pieces. Face it folks. Chicago has problems. Big problems! So yes, you can say that when I go to a forum(not Chicago related) and there are several Chicago members trolling, it does make me a little aggravated. But the difference between the ones being attacked, and me, is that I have a first hand, life-long relationship with Chicagoland, and I'm so tired of the corruption, tolls, taxes, bad raods, traffic, year long bad weather(I don't care what anyone says!), strip malls, endles urban sprawl, people that act like they have money when they don't, ghetto, bad schools, high crime, etc. While every city has the same issues, the degree which Chicago suffers is high when comapred to others. I don't know how many Chicago members have floated over to the Phoenix forum and stated how much crime there is in the city. WHAT?! Chicago was murder capitol USA a few years ago. Does anyone see a problem with that except me.

Next topic. I don't understand why I need sources to back up my previous remarks. Single out one thing that I posted that isn't either common knowledge, or just general info. I didn't know I needed a source to say that Houston was the energy and medical capitol of the world. I just though it was implied. If you want a source, just do a simple search yourself. It won't be hard to find.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I don't hate Chicago! I grew up in the west burbs, and although I never lived in Chicago, the city, I still feel strong connects to the city. Mostly because most of my family and friends still live there. The only reason that I post negative Chicago info is because the people on this site from Chicago and its suburbs seem to be living in "la-la" land, and think it is perfection. For every one post that is a negative remark about Chicago, there are at least three Chicagoans that feel it is their appointment on earth to defend it till death. Where I have a problem is where these same people patronize(that is being nice) other forums, and attack them to pieces. Face it folks. Chicago has problems. Big problems! So yes, you can say that when I go to a forum(not Chicago related) and there are several Chicago members trolling, it does make me a little aggravated. But the difference between the ones being attacked, and me, is that I have a first hand, life-long relationship with Chicagoland, and I'm so tired of the corruption, tolls, taxes, bad raods, traffic, year long bad weather(I don't care what anyone says!), strip malls, endles urban sprawl, people that act like they have money when they don't, ghetto, bad schools, high crime, etc. While every city has the same issues, the degree which Chicago suffers is high when comapred to others. I don't know how many Chicago members have floated over to the Phoenix forum and stated how much crime there is in the city. WHAT?! Chicago was murder capitol USA a few years ago. Does anyone see a problem with that except me.

Next topic. I don't understand why I need sources to back up my previous remarks. Single out one thing that I posted that isn't either common knowledge, or just general info. I didn't know I needed a source to say that Houston was the energy and medical capitol of the world. I just though it was implied. If you want a source, just do a simple search yourself. It won't be hard to find.
I have issues with much of your response, and here they are in organized fashion

a) I'm not going to tell you whether or not you hate Chicago. You are the only one who knows what you like and what you don't. From your posts, you have seriously negative and amazingly odd comments about the city (things I've never heard from even the most insistent Chi-haters), so I presumed you had some sort of nub with the city.

b) I'm sorry that us Chicagoans love our city so much. If you'd like, you can bring the same issue up with the New Yorkers (who have a good reason to also love their city), the Los Angeles folks, the Houstonians, and yes even people in Phoenix who do the same thing!

c) Yeah, Chicago has lots of problems, I'll give you that. And your honest for admitting that other cities suffer the same fate as Chicago does. But honestly, some of the "problems" you listed are not some of the ones that Chicago stands out on. Chicago does not have as huge of an "urban sprawl" problem as Atlanta, Los Angeles, Phoenix, or Houston does. The suburbs are expanding and sprawling, true, but the city I find to be very minimally sprawled. Also, your "strip malls" statement, I hope you agree, is strictly a suburban problem, no? Are there more strip malls in an older city like Chicago than there are in a newly developed city like Phoenix?

d) Crime - Bleehhhh. Won't even bother with that one. Good luck trying to avoid cities with crime in your life.

e) I never challenged Houston's significance. Houston is a fine city that may actually beat Chicago's population. It's no problem. But population does not define metropolitan area, as well as how good a city is. Just keep that in mind.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 PM

808 posts, read 2,420,437 times
Chicago has many things going for it.

1. It's sustainable. It's right next to massive amounts of freshwater and is surrounded by endless farmland.

2. It's truly urban. Urban environments attract artists and young "knowledge workers" like moths to a flame. These people invigorate the city and keep it exciting

3. It's HUGE. The city already has about 2.8-2.9 million inhabitants. Nothing that big goes away overnight.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM

459 posts, read 1,423,093 times
Quote:

you never even lived in the city? your opinion is pretty much moot as far as i can tell, if you're from the 'burbs. all that for nothing, haha...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago