Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:43 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,244,963 times

Advertisements

Interesting commentary. I have posted a couple times that I have found Chicagoans to be rude and inconsiderate, but people usually insist that Chicago is some kind of down to earth, midwestern city. It's fine if Chicago wants to be a rude place (insecurity perhaps), but why do people here insist that the city is polite and friendly when it's really not?

Watch it, Chicago, we're starting to act like New York - Chicago Tribune

Last edited by downtownnola; 07-25-2015 at 06:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 PM

498 posts, read 731,912 times
**** that guy

Old 07-25-2015, 08:29 PM

431 posts, read 453,915 times
Being down to earth does not preclude being loud or inconsiderate. Chicagoans have always been brash and sorta rude. I've never even heard claims to the contrary until now. In fact, Chicagoans are probably more polite now than ever before. Back in the 1980s the Chicago archetype was some sort of loud, obnoxious, Jim Belushi character.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:19 PM

213 posts, read 230,380 times
Native Chicagoan, live in NYC now. I have never understood the myth that so many Chicagoans have about how friendly they are. I find the people in Chicago, on the whole, to be much less friendly than the people in NYC.

You want nice? Go to Canada or maybe Minneapolis. Chicago is not that place.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:04 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,113,006 times
When I grew up in another part of the midwest, we actually thought of Chicagoans as complete jerks. When I went to college, I made friends with a guy from Bridgeport and he was one of the biggest jerks I ever met so it kind of solidified that.

I think there's kind of two groups of Chicagoans out there and you can tell the difference between their niceness. One group is definitely nice but there's a group of others which are definitely not. I have a feeling that the nice Chicagoans are the semi-new transplants from other, small parts of the Midwest who were taught to never be mean. The ones who are kind of rude aren't necessarily that different from the stereotypical mean New Yorker in my experience. They're brutally honest but that is many times taken as being rude.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-26-2015 at 01:13 AM..

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,244,963 times
Interesting thoughts. Chicagoans do seem to be under the false impression that they're "friendly midwesterners," but I haven't found that to be the case at all. Most of the people I have encountered here have been self-centered and unfriendly (there are exceptions, of course).

Old 07-26-2015, 08:49 AM

8,974 posts, read 10,330,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Native Chicagoan, live in NYC now. I have never understood the myth that so many Chicagoans have about how friendly they are. I find the people in Chicago, on the whole, to be much less friendly than the people in NYC.

Canada? Ever been to Montreal?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:58 AM

431 posts, read 453,915 times
I actually find Chicagoans very friendly despite their obnoxiousness. It's very easy to make friends in Chicago. Contrast that to places like Seattle or Minneapolis where people are stereotypically 'nice' and polite but you can live there for decades and never make any friends.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:37 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,113,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
As someone who spent many years growing up in Minnesota - I don't agree. What most people who haven't spend considerable time in Minnesota don't realize is that people are just as mean there as anywhere else. The difference is that in places like Minnesota, most people are afraid to tell anybody to their faces (though I had run into numerous people who had no issues with it either - and it was more in a cocky way than anything).

Some of the meanest people I know are people I grew up with there. Spend tons of time there and you'll learn how much crap talking behind peoples' backs really goes on. That's pretty much everywhere in the Midwest that's not a small city. Someone who didn't grow up with that thinks that everyone is nice when in fact they're just afraid of saying anything to you. But you better believe they're talking crap about you behind your back constantly.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-26-2015 at 09:52 AM..

Old 07-26-2015, 11:34 AM

427 posts, read 478,794 times
^ Yes Marothisu!! I heard that from a group of Minnesotans visiting Chicago back in March. They said in Minnesota they have something called "Minnesota Nice" where, as you said, they are not willing to say things to your face.

Anyways, since I have moved to Chicago in late June from Southern California I have met mostly really really nice people here. However, to generalize inhabitants of a city as acting a certain way is futile. At the end of the day, most of the people in the really large cities like NYC, LA, CHI, and SF all came from somewhere else. A lot of people I have met here in Chicago came from another state, another country, or from the suburbs.

So like the other biggest metros in the US, Chicago city proper seems to be a very transient city. And with so many people of varied backgrounds, I think everyone is bringing with them some of the attitude or behavior from the place they originally came from.

I think you will find super nice, super cocky/self absorbed, super humble, and what ever else you can think of in a big city with millions of people.

It's not worth it to fight over labeling population in a metro of nearly 10 million people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago