Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:39 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
Being down to earth does not preclude being loud or inconsiderate. Chicagoans have always been brash and sorta rude. I've never even heard claims to the contrary until now. In fact, Chicagoans are probably more polite now than ever before. Back in the 1980s the Chicago archetype was some sort of loud, obnoxious, Jim Belushi character.
Jim Belushi, was born in Humboldt Park, but raised in Wheaton. Scarcely the environment conducive to raising a tough, loud Chicagoan.

I personally think those people that were born and raised in Chicago but left the city for the suburbs (or elsewhere) before Chicago became the city known for the violence, etc. are likely to be friendly and not that much different from urban midwesterners.

It seemed like the typical Chicagoan or Silent generation or older baby boomers that grew up in neighborhoods oriented around the parish and parochial school (although not necessarily) in the 40s - 60s grew up around around a lot of civility and wholesomeness.

Those who experienced Chicago propers darker days starting maybe in the 70s and definitely in the 80s and 90s are themselves hardened and toughened.

Recent transplants from across the midwest that grew up in wholesome environments hopefully will by means of critical mass will slowly transform Chicago into a civil city maybe similar to Toronto. If the former residents of the projects really did receive vouchers en masse that encouraged them to leave the city actually occurred to the extent that people think it did (judging by the crime this did not happen much) then this process would be accelerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
Being down to earth does not preclude being loud or inconsiderate. Chicagoans have always been brash and sorta rude. I've never even heard claims to the contrary until now. In fact, Chicagoans are probably more polite now than ever before. Back in the 1980s the Chicago archetype was some sort of loud, obnoxious, Jim Belushi character.
IMO the stereotype has changed BUT there's still many many people part of that stereotype. However, I have found a number of nice people in town as well as the "give it to me straight" types. My own observations are that people in Chicago are nicer on average now than I remember back from the 80s and early 90s, but still plenty exists that is not exactly nice. I think though, this still falls into the "old stereotype" of Chicago that is maybe a little less true than 25 years ago.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 PM

431 posts, read 449,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Jim Belushi, was born in Humboldt Park, but raised in Wheaton. Scarcely the environment conducive to raising a tough, loud Chicagoan.

I personally think those people that were born and raised in Chicago but left the city for the suburbs (or elsewhere) before Chicago became the city known for the violence, etc. are likely to be friendly and not that much different from urban midwesterners.

It seemed like the typical Chicagoan or Silent generation or older baby boomers that grew up in neighborhoods oriented around the parish and parochial school (although not necessarily) in the 40s - 60s grew up around around a lot of civility and wholesomeness.

Those who experienced Chicago propers darker days starting maybe in the 70s and definitely in the 80s and 90s are themselves hardened and toughened.
sure but you know what I mean about the Jim Belushi Chicago attitude. The lovable loser with a big heart and an even bigger mouth who tells it like it is. And by the way, da Bearse won the Super Bowl. Take that LA and New York!

My family is from Chicago and it was never like what you said. Race riots, union fracas, machine politics, mobsters, street gangs and socially destabilizing inequality have been a part of Chicago history since the great fire. There has never a decade without significant unrest and violence in Chicago. In fact, as bad as things are now, it's probably better than it has been ever in Chicago's history.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 PM

73 posts, read 94,124 times
Most of the rude people I have encountered in Chicago are usually people who:

A. Live in poorer neighborhoods.

B. Are suburbanites who think they have to be rude in the city because they think everyone who lives in the city is rude.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:51 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
I'm not friendly. In the morning, i do not wish to say GOOD MORNING :))) :LL)))))) when i have just commuted and have not sat down yet. But im not going to be fake cheery.

I'm not freindly to the people who beg for money, in order to protect myself i usually ignore them. some of them are faking it to make money from unsuspecting people. Also, if they say "how are you" and say "oh im fine" then their next question is "do you have a dollar you can give me" so in order not to welcome more questions from them, i just ignore them. yes i am cold hearted but some of it is - it happens all the time and i know what will happen, so i just try to ignore.

I am also not friendly, when the snow and ice blows icicles in my face and i just cannot handle the winter, also im afraid im going to slip on black ice and that will be painful, so i really do not feel like being happy with all that.

so thats my story, and im not being a troll, but teling you this is me. Now i am happy when things are different, but thats another topic.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:53 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Interesting commentary. I have posted a couple times that I have found Chicagoans to be rude and inconsiderate, but people usually insist that Chicago is some kind of down to earth, midwestern city. It's fine if Chicago wants to be a rude place (insecurity perhaps), but why do people here insist that the city is polite and friendly when it's really not?

Watch it, Chicago, we're starting to act like New York - Chicago Tribune
sounds like a post from a forumer whose screen name has been reduced to its last four letters.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:56 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,172,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
sounds like a post from a forumer whose screen name has been reduced to its last four letters.
Shhh...you'll blow his cover

Old 04-21-2016, 08:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Shhh...you'll blow his cover
Ahm, ok. I moved to Chicago in September 2013 and left in October 2015. Enjoyed my 2 years there, but would never choose to live there again. The reasons I left is long (as it seems to be with the hordes of people fleeing the city), but the lack of civility and hospitality is disturbing and certainly factored in my decision to leave.

Man opens can of whoop-ass after being called the N-word | New York Post

If you all are willing to put up with the rudeness and racism that permeates the Chicago culture, ok. Enjoy.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,149,906 times
I grew up in New York and I still remember arriving at college in Chicago and being surprised that shopkeepers tried to talk to me when I walked in. That never happened in New York.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:31 AM

48 posts, read 44,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Native Chicagoan, live in NYC now. I have never understood the myth that so many Chicagoans have about how friendly they are. I find the people in Chicago, on the whole, to be much less friendly than the people in NYC.

You want nice? Go to Canada or maybe Minneapolis. Chicago is not that place.

Lol, Minneapolis is not nice. We are just too polite to say anything to you. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago