Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,300,843 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that Oak Park threads keep getting moved to the Suburbs forum. I guess the way I see it this way:

1) People inquiring about Oak Park are generally more interested in an urban lifestyle and experience;

2) Oak Park is basically an extension of Chicago because of the more urban (albeit outer-urban) feel and because it is directly connected to the city via the L;

3) Because of the above, Chicago board regulars are more likely to be familiar with the ins and outs of Oak Park than the Suburbs regulars, many (most?) of whom live a substantial distance from the city.

Therefore, I pose a question: should Oak Park threads that originate in the Chicago forum be moved to the Suburb forum? My instinct is to say leave them here. Same for Evanston, and maybe Berwyn and Cicero posts. If they originate in the Suburbs forum, leave them there too.... so basically, leave them where they originate. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,120,590 times
I second the motion.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 PM

391 posts, read 1,304,758 times
Drover knows best!!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:38 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,405,836 times
I definitely agree. We'll call it the "on the el" caveat.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 PM

677 posts, read 4,213,703 times
What about all of the threads about those cities that already exist in the Suburbs forum? At least if the posts that originate here get moved the OP has a chance of finding those other threads where their question is probably already answered. I think it's pretty obvious given the number of repeat questions we get that newbies are not aware of the Search function.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,834,536 times
I think it would just confuse things. Oak Park and Evanston are suburbs--like it or not!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,664,980 times
Leave the burbs in the burbs.Burbs like Oak Park and Evanston are still very different from the city no matter if they are right next to the city or not. Maybe suggest a "inner ring" burb forum or a adajacent burb forum. I think it will not help anything by keeping Oak Park, Evanston, etc threads in the city section.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:00 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,621,965 times
It's definitely a good thought, but I do think we should leave them in the suburb forum--mainly because, well, they are suburbs. Don't want to confuse the issue. There's already a lot of information there and the OP/evanston regulars do a good job of covering the towns.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:27 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,479,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've noticed that Oak Park threads keep getting moved to the Suburbs forum. I guess the way I see it this way:

1) People inquiring about Oak Park are generally more interested in an urban lifestyle and experience;

2) Oak Park is basically an extension of Chicago because of the more urban (albeit outer-urban) feel and because it is directly connected to the city via the L;

3) Because of the above, Chicago board regulars are more likely to be familiar with the ins and outs of Oak Park than the Suburbs regulars, many (most?) of whom live a substantial distance from the city.

Therefore, I pose a question: should Oak Park threads that originate in the Chicago forum be moved to the Suburb forum? My instinct is to say leave them here. Same for Evanston, and maybe Berwyn and Cicero posts. If they originate in the Suburbs forum, leave them there too.... so basically, leave them where they originate. What do you all think?
All these points make sense to me. Not because I live in Berwyn but because, in all honesty, Oak Park, Berwyn, and Cicero are very much like Chicago neighborhoods, are serviced by the CTA, and probably viewed as "neighborhoods" by the majority of folks -- and certainly very differently than Naperville, Elmhurst, Downers Grove, etc. And Berwyn and Cicero practically have more Chicago Bungalows than Chicago for Pete's sake!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:32 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,222,862 times
I think 'burbs served by the CTA can be given a pass and stay. They're very connected to the city.

But how about moving posts about Chicago from people who live in Crystal Lake (or some such place) to the burbs threads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago