Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 PM

60 posts, read 127,695 times

Advertisements

The area east of the Damen stop seems to have more available parking due it being zoned because of the proximity to the Metra station. I think the parking permits are only like $25/yr, so you might want to look into that area if you want easier parking. I was just looking at some studios in Lincoln Square and North Center this week. They were around $600 and weren't too terrible. I think you could get something pretty decent at $800. The studios in the neighborhood also tend to be a little bigger than in other areas, at least from my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 05:27 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey155 View Post
Thanks for all the replies so far. I did know that I would have to transfer to the Red Line at some point, I discovered that google maps has a wonderful feature where you can enter two addresses and instead of getting directions by car, you can get them by public transit, which I anticipate will be a great help to me both on my trip in 2 weeks (we're staying at the Marriot on the Mag Mile) as well as when I move. This is probably old news to many people, but I was excited by it!

So what else can you guys tell me about Lincoln Square? Are there decent coffee shops, restaurants, cafes, etc? What about things like grocery shopping (in Chicago in general)...I'm used to loading up my car trunk and driving it back to my house! I'm sure that will be an adjustment for me, but I've heard about peapod and the like...considering that for the heavier items (i.e. cat litter).
You can either a. get a granny cart or b. do car sharing if you want to get rid of your car as it pertains to grocery shopping.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:38 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Illinois grocery tax is 1%. I do not believe the same 1% tax applies to convenience stores, paper products, animal food, wine, tobacco, soft drinks or foods found inany grocery store "Deli".

Old 10-13-2009, 02:32 PM

12 posts, read 35,252 times
I've been doing searches on apartment finder websites and craigslist (with the latter having very few lincoln square apts) and have decided on using an apartment finding service...however, I don't think I will be able to move in until May. Do you think they would show me apartments now so I can get an idea of what is in my budget range?

Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Not unless they have nothing else to do. It's not like there are big building with identical apartments there where chances are a unit in the building would be coming available when you're ready to move. I'm not sure what the current accepted boundaries of Lincoln Square are. I lived that way 12 yrs ago and Lincoln Square wasn't really on the radar then. You might want to also search for Ravenswood which would be a little southeast, also on the brown line and closer to the red. I had a great apt at Argyle and Wolcott.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey155 View Post
I've been doing searches on apartment finder websites and craigslist (with the latter having very few lincoln square apts) and have decided on using an apartment finding service...however, I don't think I will be able to move in until May. Do you think they would show me apartments now so I can get an idea of what is in my budget range?
Just don't tell them you're not looking to move until May.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Just don't tell them you're not looking to move until May.
They make money by renting apartments, not showing them.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:50 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
They make money by renting apartments, not showing them.
Right. So if you want to look at apartments to price now, its best to pretend you want to rent now.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:08 AM

12 posts, read 35,252 times
I've read about car sharing, it seems like a decent enough solution, but my car payment isn't outrageous ($239) and my insurance isn't either (about $80/mo). If I used the car sharing service a few days a month that would start creeping up sort of close to my current payments. I'm just planning on bringing it with me at first and seeing how things go. If I don't need it, i'll get rid of it

On another note, I will be in the city Thursday-Sat this week to do a little scoping out of the neighborhoods. We get in Thurs around noon, planning on heading right to the hotel to attempt check in (we'll take the orange line from midway, connecting to the red line...hotel is the Marriot on the Mag Mile). Thurs plans are Frontera Grill for din, then heading to the bar at the top of the Hancock center for a cocktail and to check out the view. Any other bars/lounges in the area we should check out?
Fri I am planning on starting the day with the CAF river cruise - have seen many recommendations for that and it sounds right up my alley. After that I'm going to try to get in with an apartment broker (any suggestions on which ones are better?) and hopefully get some advice on neighborhoods and see a few places in my price range. After that, Fri afternoon and evening are pretty free. We're thinking of Lou Malnati's for dinner.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated, thanks for all your help so far everyone!

Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,716 times
I bought a condo in Lincoln Square a couple of years ago. I am north of lawerence and west of damen. I love the neighborhood. Overall, it is a more family orientated feel with more kids than some other neighborhoods, but it is has a young vibe with many outlets for entertainment. The best part is that it isn't frustrating to live in.

Parking is usually very accessible. Cars are fairly safe parked on the street. In my neighborhood, we always get parking within 1/2 block of our place and usually right in front.

In the neighborhood (actually on the square), you have a coffee shop, an itialian restaurant, a cooking store with classes, a toy store, an eatery and deli, a couple of german bars, an ice cream shop, a sandwich shop, a couple boutique type stores, a butcher and sausage shop opening soon, a mexican restaurant, a shoe store, and a host of other shops and restaurants. There is a farmers market on the square on the weekends. There are a couple of bars sporatically around the neighborhood, as well as a few shops, bars, and restaurants including coffee shops on Damen ave.

Overall, I love the neighborhood. The walk to the EL isn't bad and is convienent from the brown line that runs through the center of the neighborhood and stops at Damen, Western, and Rockwell.

Overall, I think you would be happy here and have seen quite a few apartments on craigslist which fit your price range in the area. The ride downtown is obviously a little longer than some of the closer (and more frustratingly packed) areas, but the good news is... there are also more seats available this far up the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago