Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 12:34 PM

56 posts, read 69,520 times

Advertisements

To all the people who moved from NYC to Chicago or who have lived in NYC and now live in Chicago: which neighborhoods in NYC can be compared to Chicago's Lake View, Lincoln Park or Roscoe Village neighborhoods? And how much more expensive is housing (both owning and renting) in those NYC's neighborhoods vs Chicago's neighborhoods mentioned above?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:51 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,965,120 times
Born/Raised in NYC - Manhattan - Washington Heights and currently live in Lakeview, near the Southport Corridor. There really isn’t a direct comparison between Chicago and NYC since, they are pretty different places IMO. To give you a bit of my perspecitve, I’d break it down like this:

Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Roscoe Village have, generally speaking, similar type of people who would live in Murray Hill, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights (ie. A mix of fresh out of college + young couples + young families); though none of the chicago neighborhoods really look or feel like Murray Hill, Park Slope, or Brooklyn Heights. The scale of Chicago’s northside is probably closer to central queens, a good comparison might be Forest Hills, Queens.
I hope that helps.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:10 PM

520 posts, read 606,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Born/Raised in NYC - Manhattan - Washington Heights and currently live in Lakeview, near the Southport Corridor. There really isn’t a direct comparison between Chicago and NYC since, they are pretty different places IMO. To give you a bit of my perspecitve, I’d break it down like this:

Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Roscoe Village have, generally speaking, similar type of people who would live in Murray Hill, Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights (ie. A mix of fresh out of college + young couples + young families); though none of the chicago neighborhoods really look or feel like Murray Hill, Park Slope, or Brooklyn Heights. The scale of Chicago’s northside is probably closer to central queens, a good comparison might be Forest Hills, Queens.
I hope that helps.
I'm a New Yorker as well, and I agree with this. It's difficult to physically compare the similar feel of neighborhoods between the two cities. The breakdown of who would live in each perspective neighborhood you mentioned above though is spot on.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:48 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,459,511 times
I have lived in both, and there is no direct comparison. The cities feel too different.

Just find a neighborhood where you feel comfortable. You aren't going to find "Lakeview" or "Lincoln Park" in NYC, anywhere.

You might find sorta similar people somewhere like Murray Hill or Hoboken, but it looks nothing like Lincoln Park/Lakeview, you might find sorta similar blocks somewhere like Bay Ridge or Sunnyside, but the people are nothing like Lincoln Park/Lakeview, etc. Just look around and you'll find something, but it won't be equivalent.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:26 PM

56 posts, read 69,520 times
Thanks for the insights. Although I didn't really mean in terms of scenery or architecture. What I really meant was which neighborhoods are similar in terms of being relatively safe, with upper middle class young families, with plenty of stores and restaurants? Do neighborhoods like what I described even exist in NYC? And if so, in Roscoe Village, for example, you can buy a very nice 3 bedroom condo with all the upgrades for a little over $400k: how much would a similar place cost in a comparable NYC neighborhood?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,115,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You might find sorta similar people somewhere like Murray Hill or Hoboken, but it looks nothing like Lincoln Park/Lakeview, .
There are definitely parts of Hoboken that look like parts of Lincoln Park (minus hills). However, Hoboken is about 100X more annoying.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There are definitely parts of Hoboken that look like parts of Lincoln Park (minus hills). However, Hoboken is about 100X more annoying.
I've never lived in Hoboken, but what makes it annoying? It's quite easy to get into the city from there, and offers a lower COL than living in "trendy" Brooklyn.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:12 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,479,197 times
Hoboken is the same crowd as Wrigleyville, but worse, since it's in New Jersey.
Imagine "The Situation" but dressed in J.Crew instead of Ed Hardy.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Hoboken is the same crowd as Wrigleyville, but worse, since it's in New Jersey.
Imagine "The Situation" but dressed in J.Crew instead of Ed Hardy.
OK, so the nightlife crowd; because every time I've been to Hoboken, I've found it to be comprised of quiet, leafy, residential streets with great residential architecture.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 24,115,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I've never lived in Hoboken, but what makes it annoying? It's quite easy to get into the city from there, and offers a lower COL than living in "trendy" Brooklyn.
Go out in Hoboken on say a....Saturday night. You'll know what I mean. You think the nightlife in Wrigleyville is bad? Multiply that by a lot. You could stick the bars of Hoboken in Indiana and nobody would know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago