Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:12 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Go out in Hoboken on say a....Saturday night. You'll know what I mean. You think the nightlife in Wrigleyville is bad? Multiply that by a lot. You could stick the bars of Hoboken in Indiana and nobody would know the difference.
Oh I def know that, but somebody looking for a place to live can easily avoid the bar scene. I live near the wrigleyville bars and have never once had an issue with anything, mostly because I'm not out at 1a on a Saturday very often
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Oh I def know that, but somebody looking for a place to live can easily avoid the bar scene. I live near the wrigleyville bars and have never once had an issue with anything, mostly because I'm not out at 1a on a Saturday very often
Yeah, Hoboken as an area nowadays is nice. It reminds me of Lincoln Park in some ways to be honest and I mean that by how some things are set up (of course Hoboken has some hills). I know it used to be a crap hole though. My mom lived there sometime in the 50s or 60s and told me how her family's apartment had 4 deadbolts on the doors because literally everyone's houses and apartments on her block got broken into. And yet, their apartment was still broken into and most of her mom's jewelry stolen.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Yeah, Hoboken as an area nowadays is nice. It reminds me of Lincoln Park in some ways to be honest and I mean that by how some things are set up (of course Hoboken has some hills). I know it used to be a crap hole though. My mom lived there sometime in the 50s or 60s and told me how her family's apartment had 4 deadbolts on the doors because literally everyone's houses and apartments on her block got broken into. And yet, their apartment was still broken into and most of her mom's jewelry stolen.
Yeah, I remember going to Hoboken in the '80s and early 90s when I was a kid and it was def a rough place, then again so were many areas of Manhattan outside of the UWS/UES; I grew up in upper Manhattan, and was as bad as Hoboken, but def would have been scary to an outsider.

Hoboken and Lincoln Park def do have many similarities, I see where you are coming from...

Old 02-26-2015, 02:19 PM

52 posts, read 50,590 times
Quote:
There are definitely parts of Hoboken that look like parts of Lincoln Park (minus hills).
Uhm, which ones ? Granted, I don't really live in Hoboken, but I do drive through it a lot and to me it's nothing like LakeView or Lincoln park.

Quote:
However, Hoboken is about 100X more annoying.
100% agree. You also forgot to mention how dirty many parts of Hoboken are. Quite a few times, I decided to be hungry or thirsty for a little bit longer just so I don't have to step out of the car.
Never happened to me in LakeView/Lincoln Park.

Honestly, even the downtown of Philadelphia feels more like Lincoln Park than a Hoboken

Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1024 View Post
Uhm, which ones ? Granted, I don't really live in Hoboken, but I do drive through it a lot and to me it's nothing like LakeView or Lincoln park.
I think it's more of the feel and tree lined streets kind of thing if you were to go not too far west of where all the bars are - like Grand & 4th let's say (somewhere around there). The buildings are closer together in Hoboken but it still kind of reminds me of that - especially a lot more than most areas of Manhattan would.

Quote:
100% agree. You also forgot to mention how dirty many parts of Hoboken are. Quite a few times, I decided to be hungry or thirsty for a little bit longer just so I don't have to step out of the car.
Never happened to me in LakeView/Lincoln Park.

Honestly, even the downtown of Philadelphia feels more like Lincoln Park than a Hoboken
Yep. It was amazing to me. I think people in Chicago who give crap to Lincoln Park/Lakeview should go to Hoboken. Granted, you can get Malaysian, Cuban, etc food in Hoboken (you can get ethnic food in LP/Lakeview too). However, the nightlife is pretty much one dimension. At least there is some variety compared to that in LP/Lakeview.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Hoboken, in terms of appearance, has really no similarity to Lincoln Park/Lakeview outside the fact that they're all affluent older urban neighborhoods in the U.S. I'm also highly skeptical of Hoboken being "very rough" back in the 1990's, as, like a Lincoln Park, it has been fairly prosperous and safe for decades. Fifty years ago I guess it was kind of rough, in a working class Italian immigrant sort of way, but never really dangerous.

The only real similarity I'm seeing is that both communities are known for lots of yuppie transplants, which is probably a true stereotype in both cases. But they look totally different. Hoboken consists of lofts, squat, bulky condo towers, and brownstones. It historically was very industrial, though that is all gone, replaced by condos.

Lincoln Park/Lakeview have a row of towers along the lakefront, and then a much lower density profile, with setback, detached homes and small apartment buildings. These communities were never industrial, don't have many squat condo towers or brownstone blocks, and have almost no loft buildings.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I'm also highly skeptical of Hoboken being "very rough" back in the 1990's, as, like a Lincoln Park, it has been fairly prosperous and safe for decades. Fifty years ago I guess it was kind of rough, in a working class Italian immigrant sort of way, but never really dangerous.
At least according to my family, it was pretty rough. Not sure about "lots of homicides" type of rough but there were many home burglaries/invasions and a lot of other crime going on. At least where my mom lived. She said it's much, much safer nowadays than when she lived there.

Quote:
The only real similarity I'm seeing is that both communities are known for lots of yuppie transplants, which is probably a true stereotype in both cases. But they look totally different. Hoboken consists of lofts, squat, bulky condo towers, and brownstones. It historically was very industrial, though that is all gone, replaced by condos.
I don't fully agree - this is definitely true in some parts of Hoboken but not all. Also Lincoln Park is varied in types of residential depending on where you are. The lakefront is pretty high rise-ish but there's a lot of other stuff intertwined with it. A few blocks west of that, it's not high rise or even close to it. Closer to the expressway it's more industrial and has enough loft style buildings in various areas.

I think though in the end, Chicago bears more resemblance to parts of northern NJ than say..Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago