Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,221 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a property in this area, on Armitage, between Western and California. Does anyone have thoughts on the safety and the future of this neighborhood? Is it considered a safe area. As I'm new to Chicago, I'd love input from those more familiar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:53 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,267,261 times
This particular neighborhood is known as Palmer Square, and is on the rise. There's a lot of great stuff popping up on Milwaukee ave, and you'd be close to Revolution Brewery (yum.)

There is still some crime in the area, but it will probably decline as the neighborhood continues to gentrify.

For reference, my wife and I looked at a handful of condos in the area which were garbage, but still had higher asking prices. The fact that they sold for asking price either indicated that people were speculating on the neighborhood heating up or that they really wanted to live there despite the 'meh' quality of housing. I suspect both.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,221 times
Thank you mannheimMadmen,

I'm wondering if this is a better area, or on campbell, slightly north of north? Where did you guys end up living? do you buy or rent

Old 02-22-2015, 07:35 AM

I think either location is a good choice. Campbell and North is also a great choice; you're a short 4 block walk from the Wicker Park six-corners corridor, which is teeming with commerce, food, live music, etc. Wicker Park is already completely gentrified and super, super nice.

Truthfully, you don't start seeing really noticeable crime until you go west of Kimball or so. As always, the classic maxim of 'don't wander around by yourself late at night' or 'don't wander in alleys by yourself' applies. I'm sure you know that crime happens everywhere, even in Chicago's very best and most expensive neighborhoods.

As for us, we ended up buying a place in Jefferson Park, which is about 4 or so blue line stops north of where you're looking. Since I work in Glenview and commute to work by Metra train, I had our real estate agent pull all properties that were within walking distance of the Milwaukee District North line (which encompasses 4 or 5 different neighborhoods.)

Best of luck in your search.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,292,655 times
I'm not overly familiar with Logan Square, but in general I think when you pass Western you are stepping over what a lot of people think of as a potential border for the capacity of gentrification to spread. Of course it varies neighborhood to neighborhood; one subject you will often see debated on this forum is just how many transplants are going to keep coming and spreading west in search of cheaper rents.

But offhand I would say the original location's proximity to Milwaukee would speak well for it.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,123,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I'm not overly familiar with Logan Square, but in general I think when you pass Western you are stepping over what a lot of people think of as a potential border for the capacity of gentrification to spread. Of course it varies neighborhood to neighborhood; one subject you will often see debated on this forum is just how many transplants are going to keep coming and spreading west in search of cheaper rents.

But offhand I would say the original location's proximity to Milwaukee would speak well for it.
Excellent advice in 2002.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:45 AM

Indeed. Even though I lived in squeaky-clean Andersonville for close to 5 years, I'd have no aversions to living closer to Central Park Ave.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:57 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,145,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
This particular neighborhood is known as Palmer Square, and is on the rise. There's a lot of great stuff popping up on Milwaukee ave, and you'd be close to Revolution Brewery (yum.)

There is still some crime in the area, but it will probably decline as the neighborhood continues to gentrify.

For reference, my wife and I looked at a handful of condos in the area which were garbage, but still had higher asking prices. The fact that they sold for asking price either indicated that people were speculating on the neighborhood heating up or that they really wanted to live there despite the 'meh' quality of housing. I suspect both.
Not to nitpick, but that area isn't known as Palmer Square. It's Logan Square. Palmer Square is a very small area to the north and west.
The area the OP is asking about is definitely appealing due to the gentrification along/around Milwaukee and will further benefit from the opening of the 606 (aka Bloomingdale Trail)
I still find some of the surrounding neighborhood (mostly south of Armitage) to be a bit sketchy, even so, it continues to improve. I think the most dangerous thing about neighborhood however, would be being so close to Parsons Chicken and Dante's Pizza. My cardiologist would kill me.

Last edited by quigboto; 02-22-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-22-2015, 09:05 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,292,655 times
I'm not really sure what the glib comments are meant to imply, but I was talking about appreciation in real estate more than anything.

But I hate to contest, you know, any absolute authority on the subject.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:19 AM

62 posts, read 79,884 times
I really like that stretch of Armitage just west of Western, and strongly prefer it to that closer to North Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago