Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Chicago: cost of living, condo, web design services, taxes, university, housing.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:59 PM

28 posts, read 92,634 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a 20 year old college student looking to move to the Chicago area with my husband and 2 year old son when we're finished with school. I have searched the forums extensively and found some good information but am having troubles with actual comparisons of the neighborhoods I am considering.

We currently live in a small town in central IL, but most of my family and many friends are from Chicagoland so I know many areas pretty well and we visit frequently. My favorite neighborhoods in the city are Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park/Bucktown, and North Center. And according to some things I've heard, I might also consider looking at Irving Park, Jefferson Park, and O'hare neighborhoods.

If we couldn't live in the city, I also really love Oak Park and have always felt pretty safe there. Berwyn is another town I'm comfortable in (visited a lot growing up, still go there occasionally) and I like it's location and lower cost of living. There are many outer burbs that I like as well but we prefer an urban feel.

My questions are which of these areas would be the best fit for a young family in terms of safety, schools, cost of living, and culture? Any other neighborhoods or inner suburbs that we should look at? I can't give an exact amount that we'll be able to spend, but my husband will be working in computer programming and I will be doing web & graphic design (most likely from home) if that helps. We don't mind living in a smaller or older apartment/condo/house as long as it's in a safe neighborhood with a good variety of things to do. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:29 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Of the areas you mention, Oak Park has the best school systems. It also has the highest property taxes (if you're interested in buying a place). Forest Park should also be a consideration as it has a similar vibe to Oak Park but a lot cheaper. Since your chlid won't be in school for a few more years, you could probably get away with living somewhere without decent schools and then moving in a couple of years to OP (or elsewhere) if you want to get the "real" urban Chicago experience.

From what I've seen, Evanston is a lot like Oak Park but with a lake and a major university. Housing prices will probably be higher than OP.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I've heard decent things about Evanston, Skokie, Park Ridge, Lincolnwood. Those are pretty close-to-the-city areas. Also just check out the far northwest side of the city, maybe near the blue line.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:17 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
I would also look at Oak Lawn right along 95th Street if you like all the city type stuff (traffic, busses, shoppes, restaurants, walkability, etc.) There is a nice little area being completely rehabbed right near Cicero and 95th Street. Look at the area right near the Oak Lawn Metra station. Metra / Oak Lawn Station Information Many new little stores have been put in as well as some 5 story condominium complexes. There are also tons of homes right off 95th Street which go for about $250K-$350K have typically 3 bedrooms... Maybe 4, 2-3 baths, a garage, basement, nice sized yard, and the taxes are average ($2.5K-$4K a year)Real Estate at Homes.Com for OAK LAWN, IL. * Oak Lawn, Illinois | Www.seo-success-guide.com | Wiki

Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Agree with Evanston, Oak Park and Park Ridge.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM

124 posts, read 379,550 times
"My favorite neighborhoods in the city are Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park/Bucktown, and North Center."

Hmmm...you and every other 20something from 5 states around along with many natives who already live here!

You don't mention whether you intend to rent or buy, or your budget, but in any case, your wallet will need to be pretty fat to afford a place suitable for a family in the aforementioned areas.

You talk about being open to the inner-ring 'burbs, so I'll pitch the SW 'burb where I grew up: Oak Lawn.

It's mostly single-family, owner-occupied homes although there is some rental sprinkled throughout. There are also plenty of condos from which to choose. Small starter houses can be found for the low $200s; starter condos for even less. If you can afford to be spendy, there are plenty of opportunities for that as well. Even in this awful RE market, tear-downs and new developments are moving forward.

Check out the condos in the center of town next to the train station. I believe Morningside is the developer. There is also a Children's Museum going in somewhere in that location. There's plenty of shopping, restaurants are mostly of the chain variety, but improving, and there are a couple fun bars along 95th Street. The Oak Lawn Park District and Public Library are second to none, and the schools are pretty good. Oak Lawn High School admittedly doesn't have the reputation it once did, but they are working hard to improve their overall scores. That said, opportunities abound for g&t students. There are also tons of private schools in the area if you really feel the need.

Oak Lawn's a car oriented suburb, but it's still definitely walkable and has good transportation to the Loop. Norfolk Metra will get you downtown in about 30 minutes. There is also the Rock Island Metra in Beverly a few miles east.

It's oft overlooked because it's not a flashy place, but it's solidly middle and upper-middle class with down-to-earth people. It was a fantastic place to grow up, and more importantly, is still a great place to live. Lots of White Sox fans too!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:44 AM

28 posts, read 92,634 times
Thanks everyone, I will be sure to check out Oak Lawn and some of the other places you mentioned next time I'm up there.

We plan on renting a place at first, and when we finally decide to buy, we are not against living in a condo as opposed to a SFH, depending on what we can afford. I am guessing that with our salaries after college, assuming we find good jobs (something we plan to do before moving), that we'll be able to afford around $1400-1600 for a 2br. Is that doable in any of those places? Again, we don't mind living in a small place as long as the neighborhood is safe. Any other suggestions would be great.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiguy1957 View Post
"My favorite neighborhoods in the city are Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park/Bucktown, and North Center."

Hmmm...you and every other 20something from 5 states around along with many natives who already live here!

You don't mention whether you intend to rent or buy, or your budget, but in any case, your wallet will need to be pretty fat to afford a place suitable for a family in the aforementioned areas.

You talk about being open to the inner-ring 'burbs, so I'll pitch the SW 'burb where I grew up: Oak Lawn.

It's mostly single-family, owner-occupied homes although there is some rental sprinkled throughout. There are also plenty of condos from which to choose. Small starter houses can be found for the low $200s; starter condos for even less. If you can afford to be spendy, there are plenty of opportunities for that as well. Even in this awful RE market, tear-downs and new developments are moving forward.

Check out the condos in the center of town next to the train station. I believe Morningside is the developer. There is also a Children's Museum going in somewhere in that location. There's plenty of shopping, restaurants are mostly of the chain variety, but improving, and there are a couple fun bars along 95th Street. The Oak Lawn Park District and Public Library are second to none, and the schools are pretty good. Oak Lawn High School admittedly doesn't have the reputation it once did, but they are working hard to improve their overall scores. That said, opportunities abound for g&t students. There are also tons of private schools in the area if you really feel the need.

Oak Lawn's a car oriented suburb, but it's still definitely walkable and has good transportation to the Loop. Norfolk Metra will get you downtown in about 30 minutes. There is also the Rock Island Metra in Beverly a few miles east.

It's oft overlooked because it's not a flashy place, but it's solidly middle and upper-middle class with down-to-earth people. It was a fantastic place to grow up, and more importantly, is still a great place to live. Lots of White Sox fans too!

In the voice of the homeless man in Big Daddy in the courtroom scene, "Hell YA!" GO SOX! hehe

Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlymel View Post
Thanks everyone, I will be sure to check out Oak Lawn and some of the other places you mentioned next time I'm up there.

We plan on renting a place at first, and when we finally decide to buy, we are not against living in a condo as opposed to a SFH, depending on what we can afford. I am guessing that with our salaries after college, assuming we find good jobs (something we plan to do before moving), that we'll be able to afford around $1400-1600 for a 2br. Is that doable in any of those places? Again, we don't mind living in a small place as long as the neighborhood is safe. Any other suggestions would be great.
For $1400- $1600 a mo. you should buy. Seriously! You then can write off all your mortgage intrest as well as property taxes so you can actually get a really nice return back in April! Consider it, its the way to go and you can do it in Oak Lawn.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlymel View Post
Hello, I am a 20 year old college student looking to move to the Chicago area with my husband and 2 year old son when we're finished with school. I have searched the forums extensively and found some good information but am having troubles with actual comparisons of the neighborhoods I am considering.

We currently live in a small town in central IL, but most of my family and many friends are from Chicagoland so I know many areas pretty well and we visit frequently. My favorite neighborhoods in the city are Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park/Bucktown, and North Center. And according to some things I've heard, I might also consider looking at Irving Park, Jefferson Park, and O'hare neighborhoods.

If we couldn't live in the city, I also really love Oak Park and have always felt pretty safe there. Berwyn is another town I'm comfortable in (visited a lot growing up, still go there occasionally) and I like it's location and lower cost of living. There are many outer burbs that I like as well but we prefer an urban feel.

My questions are which of these areas would be the best fit for a young family in terms of safety, schools, cost of living, and culture? Any other neighborhoods or inner suburbs that we should look at? I can't give an exact amount that we'll be able to spend, but my husband will be working in computer programming and I will be doing web & graphic design (most likely from home) if that helps. We don't mind living in a smaller or older apartment/condo/house as long as it's in a safe neighborhood with a good variety of things to do. Thanks!
Berwyn and Oak Park would be good. Oak Park has the monopoly on the school rep but Berwyn's Emerson Elementary outscored 5 of the 8 Oak Park elementary schools on the '07 ISAT. So you need to look at the particular school serving the residence you're looking at, as a blanket generalization may not necessarily apply. As you point out, Berwyn will be more affordable than OP. The choice depends on budget too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago