Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktownbabe View Post
I'd have agreed with Ukrainian Village 5-10 years ago, and Wicker Park 10-20 years ago, but they're not so laid back now. Even Division Street has all sorts of douchiness going on with its bar scene these days, which is what the OP appears to be wanting to avoid.
I semi agree about Wicker Park, though don't confuse "many people on the street" with "not laid back" - they don't have to be related. You can still be laid back with a lot of people around. However, you think Ukrainian Village is not laid back........? You and I are on completely different planets. Ukrainian Village is a laid back place and far from fast paced. IMO almost all areas in Chicago are laid back and not fast paced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 PM

70 posts, read 117,064 times
How much is the average monthly rent in a 1 and 2br in Logan?

Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
I guess it depends on if laid back really just means laid back or if it is code for wanting to avoid "douche bags."
Most "cool" neighborhoods in Chicago have some level of douchiness at this point.
Pilsen is probably completely douche-free while still having the typical hipster amenities.

Here's a good map of the "douche vortexes" in Chicago.

http://chicagoist.com/2014/05/01/chi...e_vortexes.php

Last edited by rzzzz; 10-25-2014 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 06:27 PM

7 posts, read 9,189 times
Thanks again for all the replies. Lots of good food for thought here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I semi agree about Wicker Park, though don't confuse "many people on the street" with "not laid back" - they don't have to be related. You can still be laid back with a lot of people around.
^ This resonates with me. Based on some of the responses, I have to say I didn't realize "laid back" would be such a loaded term. I'm really not after a sleepy/suburban experience because if I was I wouldn't be moving to Chicago I'm not trying to avoid active commercial streets, I just wouldn't want the one I live near to be rowdy or fratty. But based on the responses, maybe I'm overshooting it by looking for something "laid back". For reference, I found Lakeview East to be laid back when I visited because when walking on Broadway I saw a lot of coffee shops, restaurants, and clothing stores and not a heavy percentage of bars. I imagine living there would mean venturing out a little for nightlife when I want it, but on a given night I'd rather have 15 restaurants nearby to choose from than 15 bars.

I've heard East Humboldt Park come up a lot here and that is one I've heard of but I'm not too familiar with it. Is it safe for someone new to the city, especially a twenty-something female? What are some cool things to check out in the neighborhood?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapony View Post
^ This resonates with me. Based on some of the responses, I have to say I didn't realize "laid back" would be such a loaded term. I'm really not after a sleepy/suburban experience because if I was I wouldn't be moving to Chicago I'm not trying to avoid active commercial streets, I just wouldn't want the one I live near to be rowdy or fratty. But based on the responses, maybe I'm overshooting it by looking for something "laid back". For reference, I found Lakeview East to be laid back when I visited because when walking on Broadway I saw a lot of coffee shops, restaurants, and clothing stores and not a heavy percentage of bars. I imagine living there would mean venturing out a little for nightlife when I want it, but on a given night I'd rather have 15 restaurants nearby to choose from than 15 bars.
Yeah, LVE is like that. There are some bars there but not a lot. It's very laid back even though a lot of people are around. In that case, Ukrainian Village would be better than Wicker Park only because Wicker Park has a good number of bars. UK Village does too but a big mix. More laid back IMO.

Quote:
I've heard East Humboldt Park come up a lot here and that is one I've heard of but I'm not too familiar with it. Is it safe for someone new to the city, especially a twenty-something female? What are some cool things to check out in the neighborhood?
It's up and coming but still so so with safety. It may not be an area where you could never venture out at night, but one of those "you never know." Might be another UK Village in 5 years the way things are going though. If you were to look there, I'd say go close to Chicago Avenue or Augusta

Old 10-26-2014, 08:39 PM

7 posts, read 9,189 times
Ukrainian village sounds intriguing. Does the area have good public transit? What are the best streets/areas to explore?

Old 10-26-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapony View Post
Ukrainian village sounds intriguing. Does the area have good public transit? What are the best streets/areas to explore?
Depends on where you are - the eastern part is better because it's near the Blue Line (Division stop). That's kind of considered East Village. Chicago Avenue has a bus that runs all night that can get you downtown and the Blue Line also runs all night. Then there's also the Ashland Ave bus which kind of runs all night between there and and areas like Pilsen and Bridgeport (it also hooks up with the Division Blue Line stop).

Chicago Avenue has a number of things on it as does Division. Division is kind of the border between UK Village and Wicker Park. Damen and Augusta have some stuff too. Some of the side streets there are cool. Good amount of new construction modern homes mixed in with the old south of Chicago Avenue. I think south of Chicago Avenue is considered more just West Town than anything though. Still fine though..

Old 10-27-2014, 06:05 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
I guess it depends on if laid back really just means laid back or if it is code for wanting to avoid "douche bags."
Most "cool" neighborhoods in Chicago have some level of douchiness at this point.
Pilsen is probably completely douche-free while still having the typical hipster amenities.

Here's a good map of the "douche vortexes" in Chicago.

Chicago's Douche Vortex Map: Chicagoist
What's your description of D-bags? I have feeling I know that type you're referring to but just curious.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:03 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
What's your description of D-bags? I have feeling I know that type you're referring to but just curious.
i think each of those areas has their own version, and would probably rarely mix.

River North? 55 year old divorced dude double parking his Porsche while trying to secure a reservation at Tavern on Rush

Wrigleyville? Visit any bar on Clark Street on a friday night.

Wicker Park? The lines are starting to blur on this one as the neighborhood slowly just becomes Lincoln Park: The Sequel, but probably whoever it is that actually hangs out at Debonair Social Club. Add in the bike messenger wannabes flying through six corners against the light, all the while yelling at the pedestrians to get out of their way.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Well that article I linked does a better job than I could in describing the common types of Chicago d-bags. In particular I was impressed with the description of the hipster/bro hybrid you now find in Wicker Park and in the East Village and Williamsburg areas of NYC. SF has a particularly noxious version of this, the Hipster/Bro/Nerd/Potential Millionaire hybrid which make neighborhoods like the Mission and Hayes Valley unbearable these days.

Personally, I am just trying to avoid packs of loud, obnoxious drunk people who harass others. Their other attributes don't matter as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago