Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:27 AM

3 posts, read 4,964 times

Advertisements

Is river north considered a pretty safe neighboorhood in chicago? particulary around trump tower (wabash ave)?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 11:38 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,867,794 times
Yes

Old 07-16-2014, 11:50 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,513,820 times
Of course it is mostly safe.

It is also full of business people during the day, tourists and those that can afford costly resturants / cocktail lounges in the evening, and likely some high priced sex workers / drug dealers at night.

It would be foolish to worry about your personal safety around office workers during business hours, or among the patrons of high priced resturants / cocktail lounges in the evening. If you are accustomed to strolls with a wad of cash by yourself late at night you might become a target of either police looking to crack down on those who pay for sex or buy drugs but in an neighorhood like River North those things are likely to be initiated online and then paid for in a high rent apartment / hotel so even street thugs don't often waste their time looking for victims...

Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,985,395 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

it's among the safest areas in the city, but not the #1 safest

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-16-2014 at 09:32 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 03:11 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,589,257 times
It's as safe as the Gold Coast or Loop, give or take some stretches on Chicago/State by the red line.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
It's as safe as the Gold Coast or Loop, give or take some stretches on Chicago/State by the red line.

LOL the infamous "Chicago/State by the red line." I use this stop twice a day, at least and have for the last 5 years. I have never once had a problem. I have come back plenty of times after 2am, walked by it at 4am alone, etc - never a problem. Just because there's a few formerly homeless people hanging out in the general area doesn't mean it's even close to dangerous.

Take it from someone who actually lives nearby and is at the stop a few times everyday, or walks by it at least twice a day. It's no or dangerous than anywhere else downtown.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,867,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL the infamous "Chicago/State by the red line." I use this stop twice a day, at least and have for the last 5 years. I have never once had a problem. I have come back plenty of times after 2am, walked by it at 4am alone, etc - never a problem. Just because there's a few formerly homeless people hanging out in the general area doesn't mean it's even close to dangerous.
The city has police officers standing by the McDonald's at the Red Line stop keeping a watch on things now.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,419,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but it's among the safest areas in the city, but not the #1 safest
I would. The largest police presence is in the touristy areas. River North is where a large chunk of mag mile and several other upscale restaurants are, this is like a gem that must be protected the most in the eyes of police. I was of course exaggerating the safety, but it's sort of hard to say which area is the "safest". It's probably a tie between many.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,293,187 times
Yes, it's safe. That doesn't mean it's idiot-proof, but it's safe.

Re: the red line, of course it's not that dangerous, it's usually very crowded, even late at night.

But as I've pointed out/expressed my opinion before, a lot of the potential crime is mitigated by the fact that the vast majority of people exercise a certain degree of caution.

There are also an inordinate number of police around downtown.

IMO, it is a different kind of safe than just a small town that is inherently safe.

There is a confluence of factors at work that statistically make it very safe.

However, unlike in a small town, if you did something like wander down to the lake by yourself at 2 in the morning, or down to an isolated park by the river, the chances or running into shady characters would jump dramatically.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I would. The largest police presence is in the touristy areas. River North is where a large chunk of mag mile and several other upscale restaurants are, this is like a gem that must be protected the most in the eyes of police. I was of course exaggerating the safety, but it's sort of hard to say which area is the "safest". It's probably a tie between many.
It's a safe area, but Edison Park and Mount Greenwood are safer, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: