Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 10:35 AM

4,670 posts, read 3,319,118 times

Advertisements

"Nabe", "Hood"??? Well either way, they are referring to neighborhoods... I'm used to hearing the word "hood" in a more urban, or "non-white neighborhood" style. And this is the first time I've heard someone use the term "nabe."... Regardless, looking at the list that BRU67 mentioned, the ones that stick out for me are Lincoln Square on the north, and Bridgeport on the south. But from my understanding the price range is going to be much higher to rent or buy in Lincoln Square than in Bridgeport.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 07:10 AM

37,307 posts, read 39,695,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
My Official Chicago Nabe List, in case anyone wants to start using the term (I know I'm sure going to!)

* I'm going north to south here as best as I can. I'm not trying to state or imply in any way that one nabe has any more nabeness than another.

Rogers Park
Edgewater
Lincoln Square
Uptown
North Center
Logan Square
Lakeview
Lincoln Park
West Town (Ukie Village, Bucktown, Wicker Park, West Loop)
Near North
Lower West Side (Pilsen east of Ashland only, the rest is too rough for Nabe status just yet)
Bridgeport
South Loop

So only 13 out of 77 Community Areas, I was a little off. But we do have a couple Nabes-in-the-making - Humboldt Park and Avondale (and East Garfield Park if you believe our most optimistic realtors), but I don't think they're quite there yet.

At least one Big Ten bar is a general requirement for Nabe status. I didn't cross check this but I'm going to guess that Logan Square, Pilsen and Bridgeport are too cool to have one. However, they are so hip otherwise, I've gone ahead and issued an outright waiver to the latter two, and I will allow the numerous cool "pop up bars" such as the Ferris Bueller bar to substitute in the case of Logan Square.
I reckon a lot of north, northwest community areas have a bar that has some big ten patrons. Oh, and everyone loves Armour Square/Chinatown.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:09 AM

4,670 posts, read 3,319,118 times
OyCrumbler, I'm a huge fan of Armour Square/Chinatown. However, I know there are people that consider some sections of it as littered, and not much on terms of bars! For some people, there is not a draw to reside there given many houses are tightly close together and not much to offer for a front lawn... That said, I enjoy the diversity, the easy accessibility to Italian and Chinese restaurants, and crime is relatively low.- Master Jay in Milwaukee

Old 11-08-2018, 01:43 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,497,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I reckon a lot of north, northwest community areas have a bar that has some big ten patrons. Oh, and everyone loves Armour Square/Chinatown.
While it's a general requirement, it will not give automatic inclusion into nabe status. There would have to be more. I'll entertain argument on whether to include Armour Square/Chinatown but my inclination is to say no. It was still only about 11% white as of 2015 (and 75% Asian). I think that's one that nabe denizens would visit for dining and shopping but probably wouldn't actually live in. Kind of like 26th Street in Little Village, though probably more popular.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:28 PM

37,307 posts, read 39,695,298 times
Quote:
While it's a general requirement, it will not give automatic inclusion into nabe status. There would have to be more. I'll entertain argument on whether to include Armour Square/Chinatown but my inclination is to say no. It was still only about 11% white as of 2015 (and 75% Asian). I think that's one that nabe denizens would visit for dining and shopping but probably wouldn't actually live in. Kind of like 26th Street in Little Village, though probably more popular.
Well, I guess if those areas aren’t nabe status then they are Emerald City. I don’t use the term, but I do argue those are still part of the pretty functional and relatively safe parts of the city.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 PM

504 posts, read 500,933 times
Lots of great nabes that have been listed in this thread!

Old 11-09-2018, 09:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,497,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, I guess if those areas aren’t nabe status then they are Emerald City. I don’t use the term, but I do argue those are still part of the pretty functional and relatively safe parts of the city.
Yes, I'd say Armor Square and Chinatown would be in the Emerald City. Interestingly, it may be the only Community Area in the Emerald City which is not also a nabe. Though the two almost always overlap, they are actually two separate things. Nabe is where the affluent mostly white professionals that everyone covets (to the exclusion of a strong working middle class) actually live. The Emerald City is their region. So you can have parts of their region where they don't necessarily live, if this makes sense.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:02 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,730,482 times
Quote:
Yes, I'd say Armor Square and Chinatown would be in the Emerald City. Interestingly, it may be the only Community Area in the Emerald City which is not also a nabe. Though the two almost always overlap, they are actually two separate things. Nabe is where the affluent mostly white professionals that everyone covets (to the exclusion of a strong working middle class) actually live. The Emerald City is their region. So you can have parts of their region where they don't necessarily live, if this makes sense.
So what is a place where regular people live? A “Bore”? Is the Emerald City a bore?

Old 11-09-2018, 01:26 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,926,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
So what is a place where regular people live? A “Bore”? Is the Emerald City a bore?
I think neighborhoods labels are completely subjective. Many times people will be forced to live in neighborhoods due to financial situations, family, etc., but for many other people they choose based on a variety of criteria. Neighborhood amenities, distance from work, charm/characteristics (which will vary by person), social options, etc. So what one person describes as a bore, may be perfect (not a bore) for someone else, which is why most neighborhood labels are subjective.

Old 11-09-2018, 02:11 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,345,250 times
Quote:
I could see myself living in Chinatown... it would be sort of like living in a foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago