Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 01:45 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times

Advertisements

Now I don't have knowledge to their books or numbers but I assume with the way they've expanded not just in IL but also CA and AZ, they must be making money and they're successful.

If someone were to come along, buy it and change it, that person would be a fool. Why would you mess with a winning formula? I mean, other than the govt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 06:48 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The thing of it is there are probably more "troubled" quick service restaurants that either currently or formerly "publicly traded" than those that are privately held -- the numbers on places like Arbys, Wendys, BurgerKing and similar household names are dismal while the privately held places like Chik-Fil-A, In&Out Burger, Del Taco, Whataburger and White Castle are doing quite well...

If Mr. Portillo can entice the right kind of "venture capital" firms to help his restaurants grow and compete against restaurants that very likely will try to horn in on this market it should be a win. Thinking broadly, one has to wonder if the right kind of "resturant investment group" could help expand the production of the specialty sausages that Hot Doug's has popularized and marry this to the Portillo's core concept -- that seems like has the potential to blend the familiar and adventurous aspects of "meat in a bun" into something that might be a real category dominating idea...

Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Among the top global chains you find Burger King ranked third, Wendy's ranked 8th and Arby's ranked 17. The numbers are hardly dismal. But I'm not sure I would compare global chains with chains that are national or just regional chains - or chains where all the units are corporate-owned versus franchised.

Portillo's has done an amazing business as a Fast Casual regional chain. As long as they're not bought by a major player they should be fine. A good comparison might be Chipotle, a publicly traded operation that started as a regional Fast Casual chain, and expanded when McDonald's became an investor. Since McDonald's fully divested, a move that was better for Chipotle and stupid on the part of McD's, Chipotle has improved a number of things internally and sales keep going up.

I think Marcus Lemonis would be a great investor. He's local and while he may tweak some things, he's not going to make major changes to an already successful business.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Now I don't have knowledge to their books or numbers but I assume with the way they've expanded not just in IL but also CA and AZ, they must be making money and they're successful.
Army_Guy, Portillo's sales are more than $8 million per unit, with combined sales exceeding $300 million last year. It would be insane to tamper with that beyond tweaking some things.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:06 AM

166 posts, read 259,861 times
The problem is that if an investment group gets Portillo's then they'll have to inevitably change the formula that works. Mr Portillo is currently very successful, and a big part of that is that he sticks to what works. An investment group will have to report increases every quarter/year and therefore will have to look at cutting costs or increasing sales every year. Mr Portillo currently doesnt have that need. He's ok wih making a steady 10M a year lets say. Any investment group will want to make 10M year 1, 12M year 2, 15M year 3, etc. This will lead to the eventual decline in quality and service. Sad that a great place such as portillos will be ruined by capitalism.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:24 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You think their lousy Ora-Ida freezer section type fries are perfection?
Never had their fries. No room for both fries and sandwich.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
The problem is that if an investment group gets Portillo's then they'll have to inevitably change the formula that works. Mr Portillo is currently very successful, and a big part of that is that he sticks to what works. An investment group will have to report increases every quarter/year and therefore will have to look at cutting costs or increasing sales every year. Mr Portillo currently doesnt have that need. He's ok wih making a steady 10M a year lets say. Any investment group will want to make 10M year 1, 12M year 2, 15M year 3, etc. This will lead to the eventual decline in quality and service. Sad that a great place such as portillos will be ruined by capitalism.
I understand your pessimism, because I, too, am a Cubs fan.

Did you see in my post above yours what their annual sales are? For a regional chain such as this, even though they're a Fast Casual versus Quick Service Restaurant, the sales figures are staggering. The only way they can improve in sales is to expand. Investors will increase sales by opening more units, not by pushing each unit to do more.

On another note - who cares about the fries? Have any of us ever heard anyone say they were going to Portillo's because they had a taste for fries?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedCubbieBlue View Post
That's not always true. There are investment funds that are fine with slow and steady growth, especially if they get it at a price that's not an excessive multiple of earnings. The rate of return they want has a lot to do with the level of risk, and while restaurants are relatively risky, Portillo's has a great track record and, with its industry, is probably relatively low risk. They'll bank the dividend payouts and maybe grow it some and then they can sell it at a profit at a time of their choosing when demand for such investments is higher. The current owner wants to sell to retire - an investment group doesn't have such pressure and can buy now and sell only when the overall market is supporting higher multiples and in the meantime bank the dividend payouts. Yes, some investment groups will squeeze companies to death, but there are plenty of others that are more responsible. If you get bought by Warren Buffet, for example, you're probably going to be doing better for it.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Among the top global chains you find Burger King ranked third, Wendy's ranked 8th and Arby's ranked 17. ...
Read much?

What's wrong with Burger King?

Report: Denny's, Wendy's and Domino's among restaurants in danger of bankruptcy - newsnet5.com Cleveland

Quiznos Follows Sbarro Into Bankruptcy Court - Bloomberg

Chains that are ubiquitous but unprofitable are not interesting to investors. Turning around a chain of dumpy stores that are out of favor with the food trends are waste or time and money. Celebritiy type "business men" don't really add value for investors either, though they do make for TV shows that the idiot hordes seem to flock to...

Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You think their lousy Ora-Ida freezer section type fries are perfection?
I think their fries are great. And their cheeseburgers. And their pastas. And their ribs. And their beef sandwich, and the strawberry shortcake, and the chocolate cake ........ When I visited Orange County, where did I go to eat? Portillos in Buena Park. I do like the fries, just me maybe, but I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago