Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 PM

14 posts, read 16,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
60614 is the area of Lincoln Park which is one of the safest parts of town. Hyde Park is a good part of town, but you aren't going to want to live there if you're working in Lincoln Park because of the commute. Hyde Park isn't very exciting either.

I'd recommend Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Old Town, Gold Coast, River North, or Streeterville. All of these will be a pretty easy commute to work, all are safe, and all have a lot of things to do. They're all walkable areas where you don't need a car, but if you need one you can always catch a cab, the train, walk, or use a bike via bike share (or your own). Where you will be working is just north of the downtown area which is mostly full of tall buildings (but not all are tall buildings). There are also some tall buildings along the lake where you will be working, but not nearly as many. Most of the buildings are 5 stories or lower.
Actually, if you're driving, the commute from Hyde Park to Lincoln Park is pretty easy. I've been doing it every day for ten years.

BUT, Hyde Park would be a boring place for a single 22 year old. I live there because it's a good family neighborhood and I'm middle aged, so less interested in night life.

The recommendations in this post are all good. Visit Hyde Park for the lakefront, the University of Chicago, and the Museum of Science and Industry, but don't move there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 PM

14 posts, read 16,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I went looking and there is a significant difference between condos and coops

A condominium owner actually owns the apartment in fee simple, like any other homeowner, and owns an undivided interest in the common areas like parking lots, recreations areas, lobbies and hallways.

In a cooperative apartment complex you don't actually own any real estate. Rather, you own shares in a not-for-profit corporation. As a shareholder you get the right to lease space in the building. The corporation owns the common areas.
As a practical matter, a co-op is pretty similar to a condo. When you need to move, you hire a realtor, show it, and somebody buys you out based on the market value of where you live.

One potential advantage of a co-op is that if it's well managed and financially solvent, the co-op will be responsible for more of the day to day maintenance expenses of the property.

One big drawback is that banks are leery of lending money to buy into a co-op, and far less likely to offer home equity loans or re-fi with cash out if you're a co-op resident.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:57 PM

23 posts, read 24,781 times
Default hyde park

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobadger View Post
Actually, if you're driving, the commute from Hyde Park to Lincoln Park is pretty easy. I've been doing it every day for ten years.

BUT, Hyde Park would be a boring place for a single 22 year old. I live there because it's a good family neighborhood and I'm middle aged, so less interested in night life.

The recommendations in this post are all good. Visit Hyde Park for the lakefront, the University of Chicago, and the Museum of Science and Industry, but don't move there..
Is hyde park safe?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoobadger View Post

I agree that the commute would be easier if you were driving - but yeah for someone looking for exciting city life, Hyde Park is not the place to be. Good place to visit for some stuff and it's a good neighborhood but not exciting.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:08 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma hamid View Post
Is hyde park safe?
Yes it's safe, but perhaps you should read what I said about it before and even the poster you're responding to. You want exciting city life - Hyde Park is not that type of place. Even the guy you're responding to said it wouldn't be a good fit for you.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Marothisu

Thank you Marothisu. You Have been most helpful with all your comments.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 AM

91 posts, read 214,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Buying a home for a newcomer, is NOT cheaper than paying rent. That makes no sense. Closing costs alone will be six months rent.

Buying only makes sense if you're confident you will be in an area for a while. If you're young and transient, it's almost guaranteed to not make financial sense.
He did the math and we verified it. How do you know? And yes he plans to stay for at least 3-4 years as the company is also paying the tuition for him to get an advanced degree.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 AM

15 posts, read 18,496 times
Hyde Park is safe because of the patrol because of Chicago University. But "city life" is something like Bucktown or Lincoln Park at North Ave.And it is both safe.

Are you okay for $1200 a month for apartment? Then, you'll be fine.

Also, want to know unsafe Chicago areas?
Englewood.
Garfield Park
Belmont Cragin
Austin
Cabrini Green
City border at Howard
A lot of the South side( Don't count Hyde Park, it's safe)
Portage Park I heard is getting worse.
West side of western Ave is Okay but not the safest.
East side of Western is safe.
As long as you avoid tthose areas, you are fine

Last edited by halfantiochhalfbucktown; 05-04-2014 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: error

Old 05-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Lisah168 i went onto the forum your partner started as i was looking at who else from the UK has moved to chicago. How long have u been there? was it a good move? I'm very 50/50 as to whether i should or not.
Thanks and also thank you halfantio

Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Simplistic and not really helpful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfantiochhalfbucktown View Post
Hyde Park is safe because of the patrol because of Chicago University. But "city life" is something like Bucktown or Lincoln Park at North Ave.And it is both safe.

Are you okay for $1200 a month for apartment? Then, you'll be fine.

Also, want to know unsafe Chicago areas?
Englewood.
Garfield Park
Belmont Cragin
Austin
Cabrini Green
City border at Howard
A lot of the South side( Don't count Hyde Park, it's safe)
Portage Park I heard is getting worse.
West side of western Ave is Okay but not the safest.
East side of Western is safe.
As long as you avoid tthose areas, you are fine
As Cabrini Green is essentially GONE and the surrounding area is pretty close to 100% redeveloped it is silly to have that on a list of "unsafe" areas.

Fact is lots of violence outbreaks in Chicago are predictably found in places like Englewood, which is totally avoid of employment and not anyplace that an outsider ever has reason to go, while there are still odd little pockets of even mostly gentrified areas of Uptown that still harbor a collection of bums and thugs that mean folks need to consider some areas block-by-block...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: