Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:53 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times

Advertisements

I don't recall these folks when I lived there in the late 90s. They must have come after the gentrification efforts. I'm guessing they don't ride the red or green line rails to camp out. Then again I'm guessing at the time my hispanic neighbors would have dealt with these clowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 02:08 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
Whoever gives money to these creeps are complete morons. They're clearly going to spend the money on weed or crack, and they don't even belong here, solely rolling up for a few months out of the year to make an otherwise nice street corner their stinky nasty party spot so they can make some cultural statement.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:01 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I don't recall these folks when I lived there in the late 90s. They must have come after the gentrification efforts. I'm guessing they don't ride the red or green line rails to camp out. Then again I'm guessing at the time my hispanic neighbors would have dealt with these clowns.
They would have their asses kicked by the locals in the pre-Urbis Orbis period for sure.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:19 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
They would have their asses kicked by the locals in the pre-Urbis Orbis period for sure.
Had to google when Urbis opened, that was before my time. I was there for its last couple years. I actually lived about 150 steps from the house while the RW was going on there. Watched all the suburbanites come in to protest, local businesses refused to serve the RW group, etc. That's for another thread though.

You are right about the ass kicking that would have happened....probably by some of the hookers.

Last edited by Oildog; 04-24-2014 at 10:49 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 03:08 AM

122 posts, read 253,287 times
Weren't the two shooting in Wicker Park gang related?

Old 04-27-2014, 12:01 PM

359 posts, read 549,630 times
Quote:
I dont actually see the crusties on the EL train, but they do ride trains to get to other states, sort of like hobos used to do. Also, I dont know if the crusties were present in Wicker Park back then or not, but back in the 90's, I do remember there being small packs of kids like this that lived like bums, especially on the West Coast. One group were called "Freegans", and literally ate out of dumpsters. They would scavenge for food that had been thrown out in dumpsters. It was some kind of cult that was doing it "for the environment". They were kind of a fringe group that would live on the streets, would avoid the police, begged for money, and looked really rag-tag. In many ways, they were really similar to the rail riders of today, especially in their views on society.

Also, I think some people really took the 90's grunge scene too seriously and did in fact intentionally looked grungy or like a garbage bum back then.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
I dont actually see the crusties on the EL train, but they do ride trains to get to other states, sort of like hobos used to do. . .
I've seen them on the Blue Line from time to time. Had the pleasure of getting in the face of one who tried to steal one of the system maps from the overhead display above one of the doorways. I mean, really... of all the things to steal

Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,023 times
What do you expect in crook county where everyone is crooked in someway. From the judges to the police to the lawyers to the politicians. We trade one crook for another

Old 05-01-2014, 04:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedchitown View Post
What do you expect in crook county where everyone is crooked in someway. From the judges to the police to the lawyers to the politicians. We trade one crook for another
Excellent post, and right on point. Maybe you can also wander over to the "best Italian beef in Chicago" thread and tell us all about how the city is failing to properly maintain its transportation infrastructure.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:17 AM

359 posts, read 549,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Excellent post, and right on point. Maybe you can also wander over to the "best Italian beef in Chicago" thread and tell us all about how the city is failing to properly maintain its transportation infrastructure.
I do admit, there has been a rash lately of people coming in to threads and start rambling about something that was totally unrelated to the main subject of the thread....its kinda funny. It is kinda like the internet version of someone being in lets say, a business meeting, and a homeless guy stumbles in to the office and starts ranting about Mayor Daley or something else totally unrelated. Everyone in the office would be like "WTF??"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: