Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's time for you two to create your own "Chicago v. New York Creativity" thread and duke it out over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 02:10 PM

939 posts, read 2,382,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Just cause it's the midwest does not mean it's some 3rd world place where people know nothing about the rest of the world. We're still part of the United States. I'm annoyed at people from the east/west coast thinking people in the midwest are these confused bumpkins who never travel and think a night out is going to Wal-Mart..
So true. It's mildly annoying, isn't it?

By the way, where are these east/west coasts you are talking about?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:21 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,170,665 times
I proved my point by asking you the question, where would you go if you were a beckoning muscian, actor, designer or artist trying to get discovered? You keep harping on Manhattan's consumption but you have yet to explain why NY continues to lead the way in the creative arts scene. Name another US city where more actors, musicians, artist, models, performers and designer are located. People looking to break in the industry will always go to where the action is. It's simple.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:41 PM

80 posts, read 302,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I proved my point by asking you the question, where would you go if you were a beckoning muscian, actor, designer or artist trying to get discovered? You keep harping on Manhattan's consumption but you have yet to explain why NY continues to lead the way in the creative arts scene. Name another US city where more actors, musicians, artist, models, performers and designer are located. People looking to break in the industry will always go to where the action is. It's simple.

Again the question is about Manhattan, which was the original assertion. Models, indeed fashion designers, are not generally spoken of in the same breath as artists, including musicians and actors. Perhaps this mentality is where the difficulty lies. My answer as to numbers of artists creating is Chicago. The CSO remains premier in the country, picking that matter back up; Robert Falls of the Goodman Theatre the premier dramatic theater director in the country (New York-based actors vie to work here); the reputation and quality of the Lyric Opera competitive with the Met. Chicago has its own school of photography and is very much alive as an art form here. The School of the Art Institute is in many areas the best in the country. Our theatre scene is nonpareil. Pilsen, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ukraine Village are wall to wall visual artists and musicians, as they are general throughout the city. What IS superior in Manhattan is the art museums. On another topic, the fashion models are better also. We do not consider them creative artists, however. After the 80s invasion of the vulgarians in Manhattan, other cities such as Seattle, Athens, GA, etc. stopped exporting their artists, including musicians. The high cost of Manhattan real estate remains, as does the corresponding lack of creative artists. I lived in the Chelsea Hotel in the 70s. THEN Manhattan was still alive. Now it is fast becoming Disneyesque.

No thank you, we'll duke it out right here Drover. It is part of answering the original question, to which questioner I will add that this is a blue city in a blue state; we are not conservative. Last I checked, NYC had a Republican mayor, preceded by Giuliani. Most artists are not Republican either.

Last edited by noplacelike; 12-28-2007 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Further,

Old 12-28-2007, 04:20 PM

124 posts, read 379,867 times
I think Chicago and NY are similar in many ways. World-class cities, cultural and financial hubs, and examples of stark contrasts. Both have seen boom and bust times, both have reinvented themselves, and both offer the absolute best of the urban dream for some, and the most debilitating poverty imaginable for others.

Other than population, the biggest difference seems to be in the "COTFU" and legend-in-their-own-mind attitude of many NYers. Ironically enough, those exhibiting such 'tudes seem to be from somewhere else, and are every bit as provincial as the hicks from west of the Hudson that they disdain.

Chicagoans have been tagged with having a second city inferiority complex, but I look at it more as strong civic pride, well-devloped sense of place, and willingness of Chicagoans to tell someone they're full of it when warranted. To broadbrush it, NY is all about image, glitz, glamour, and "look-at-me" spectacle. Chicago is about quiet determination, substance, humility, and keepin' it real.

I have no empirical data here; just going on personal experience, but I'll take the everyday people, the spectacular beauty, and the much-maligned "Midwestern values" of Chicago over the shallow pasticity of the coasts any day of the week. A little civic rivalry never hurt anyone.

Finally, I'm puzzled by those who seemingly hate Chicago (or anyplace for that matter) but stay. For God's sake, people, if you hate it that much, pack your freaking bags and go look for that greener grass!

Old 12-28-2007, 04:52 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,795 times
As a New Yorker relocating to Chicago, I find this debate sort of puzzling. I don't think anyone, save perhaps the most insufferable coastal snob, would deny that Chicago is one of America's creative centers and has a vibrant, and thriving, arts scene. I don't think anyone would deny that it is one of America's great cities, and one of the world's great cities.

But New York is THE artistic and cultural capital of the country, if not the world. New York is the center of....I don't even want to make the list, because it would be too long. For a Chicagoan to to take offense to, or issue with, someone saying "New York has a more vibrant arts community" would be like me taking offense to someone saying "well, you're a very good-looking guy, but not quite Brad Pitt," or "you're a really great writer, but you're a notch below James Joyce." Of course New York has a more vibrant arts community! It's New York, for crying out loud! But that's no slight at Chicago.

I will admit, however, that noplace does have quite a valid point about Manhattan. Manhattan is great, but at this point it's mostly a playground for the rich.

While there are similarities between the two, Chicago is not New York and New York is not Chicago. I don't see why Chicago should want to be New York. I'm from New York, I love it here and will return someday. But a big part of the reason I'm leaving is that right now I'm looking for a change. If Chicago were exactly like New York, I'd just stay here!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM

80 posts, read 302,685 times
No, New York WAS New York. But thank you for testifying to the downfall of Manhattan.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:30 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,170,665 times
What downfall? I hate it when people say Manhattan or SF is not affordable. By whose standards? I hear the same argument about Chicago from Midwestern hicks. Don't knock it, if you can't afford it. BTW, everyone in Manhattan is not rich. People have been making it in Manhattan without the $100,000 salaries.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:08 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,646,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
L.A. ...........

Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM

28 posts, read 215,420 times
NYC is changing it has gotten so expensive and unrealistic that the artists and the creative people are moving out of the city to Brooklyn and a few areas of Queens because of the prices. There is still no better city in the world and you cant compare the two becasue they are totally different. But Chicago is a city that is affordable and realistic and alot more down to earth than NY and has everything with the lake, parks and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago