Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM

9 posts, read 38,121 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move from NJ to Chicago. I will be working on E. Wicker Dr. near Swiss Hotel, and I'm looking for a nice neighborhood where I can raise my kids and also take subway to work. My budget for house is around $500,000. Single family home or townhouse are desirable. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Oak Park, and take the Green Line L into the city. There's a stop 2 blocks from Swisshotel. Good schools for your kids too. Evanston might be a good place to look too, but the commute will be considerably quicker from Oak Park.

Old 09-01-2007, 05:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up. If I were to drive from these towns, how long will the commute be? Is parking situation impossible in Chicago?

Old 09-01-2007, 07:29 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
The parking situation is not impossible, but if you have to park all day downtown, you are looking for about $20/day (maybe $10 if you find a good deal). Commuting on 290 is not fun...... I would say driving from Evanston in rush hour about 1.5 hours in rush hour (could be shorter) or from Oak Park at least 40 minutes..... Anyone agree/disagree with those times?

Old 09-01-2007, 03:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Driving from Evanston won't be anything near 1.5 hours. It's only 10 miles from downtown. However, there's no quick way to get there during rush hour, Lake Shore Drive being the only thing remotely resembling a highway between Evanston and downtown -- and it gets seriously clogged up during rush hour plus it doesn't go all the way up to Evanston so you'd have to fight some street-level traffic just to get to it. So it would still be about 45 minutes. During normal commute times, it will be faster to take the train from both cities, whether it's the Metra from Evanston, or the L from Oak Park (though Metra is an option from there too). It only takes about 25 minutes to ride the Green line L from Oak Park to downtown. And if you want to park downtown, expect to shell out a minimum of $250/mo.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:48 AM

I've been checking out houses in these two areas, and can't figure out what to expect for the money I'm paying. It seems impossible to find a single family house for $500,000.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:58 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
I don't know anything about Evanston, but we recently bought a SFH in OP, so I can tell you my experiences.

Almost all SFH in Oak Park are 60+ years old. Houses north of Lake Street tend to be bigger (and more expensive) than those south of Lake Street. Since crime in Oak Park is correlated with proximity to the eastern border of Oak Park (Chicago city limits), prices get more expensive the further west you live. We found plenty of houses between 4-500K (2 years ago). These were generally 60+ year old, 3 bedroom, 1.5-2 bath houses located in the eastern and southern parts of town.

We ended up in northern Oak Park, west of Ridgeland and are very happy with our location (we spent more than 500K, unfortunately). I have friends who live in southern Oak Park, east of Ridgeland, and like their locations as well. If I was buying now, in your price range, I'd look east of Ridgeland between Madison St and the expressway as well as all areas south of the expressway. Luckily its a buyers market, so prices may even have dropped.

Townhouses tend to be less than 5 years old and centered around the downtown area. You can get 3 bedroom, 3 bath, modern TH within walking distance of the Green line El for under 500K. If you can do without a yard, I would recommend the TH, due to proximity to downtown/public transit.

Don't forget, taxes will be very high (probably cheaper than NJ), about 2% of your purchase price, but that's the price you pay for outstanding public education. Oak Park is expensive for the Chicago area. Being an inner suburb, crime is somewhat of an issue (mostly property crime, violent crime is rare). We looked at Naperville, also (my job is in the western suburbs and it would've been a much shorter commute), but we wanted a urban, pedestrian-friendly town.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:50 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Don't count out Park Forest South or Flossmoor or Homewood. The house prices are lower and you can take Metra just about into the buildings around the Swisshotel. That makes a big difference during winter.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:05 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
Oak Park, Elmwood Park, Mont Claire (Chicago neighborhood that borders Oak Park and Elmwood Park), Lombard (near west suburb), Jefferson Park (Chicago NW side)

Old 09-07-2007, 07:58 PM

96 posts, read 647,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ908 View Post
I've been checking out houses in these two areas, and can't figure out what to expect for the money I'm paying. It seems impossible to find a single family house for $500,000.
Jefferson Park and Evanston are good choices.
I kinda like Jefferson Park since it's a nice, quiet neighborhood, close to the Blue line and plenty of parking spaces also ( in case you have more cars and only 1 garage space). Also, Old Irving Park is a very good choice

Two months ago, one of my clients bought a house in Jefferson Park for $425,000, 3 Bed / 2 Bath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago