Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 05:57 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,381,903 times

Advertisements

I live in Lakeview, the girl i've been dating lives in Wicker Park, and it is already feeling like a LTR. I leave for work at 6 in the morning, she gets home around 6:30 - 7:00 after a long commute. Then if we want to hang out, it takes at least 20 minutes to get there by car and longer by bus. That leaves like 3 hours to hang out tops. And who wants to travel MORE after a long commute? Plus rent is so expensive, you can cut in in half by living together. Anyways, it already feels like a strain on our relationship. Anyone else feel the same way?? Its a lot easier I guess if your in the same neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 06:05 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,048,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I live in Lakeview, the girl i've been dating lives in Wicker Park, and it is already feeling like a LTR. I leave for work at 6 in the morning, she gets home around 6:30 - 7:00 after a long commute. Then if we want to hang out, it takes at least 20 minutes to get there by car and longer by bus. That leaves like 3 hours to hang out tops. And who wants to travel MORE after a long commute? Plus rent is so expensive, you can cut in in half by living together. Anyways, it already feels like a strain on our relationship. Anyone else feel the same way?? Its a lot easier I guess if your in the same neighborhood.
Congrats on the relationship jman07.

Distance can put it's toll on relationships here. I was speaking with a young gentleman the other day who had the same concern about distance and social life. I think that's why neighborhood you choose can be so important. My social life tanked when I moved to Lake View because all my friends where downtown and south.

Moving in with your girlfriend is a good idea as long as you both are ready.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Congrats on the relationship jman07.

Distance can put it's toll on relationships here. I was speaking with a young gentleman the other day who had the same concern about distance and social life. I think that's why neighborhood you choose can be so important. My social life tanked when I moved to Lake View because all my friends where downtown and south.

Moving in with your girlfriend is a good idea as long as you both are ready.
Ya. Well the thing is is that she is only about 3 miles away, but with traffic it feels like 30 miles in a normal city.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Ya. Well the thing is is that she is only about 3 miles away, but with traffic it feels like 30 miles in a normal city.
Trust me. I understand.

With her commute, it will be easier to maintain the relationship to consolidate. It can shrink some bills and help financially. Many do that in Chicago.

Belmont is the worst east west street in the evening.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Trust me. I understand.

With her commute, it will be easier to maintain the relationship to consolidate. It can shrink some bills and help financially. Many do that in Chicago.

Belmont is the worst east west street in the evening.
Ashland gets pretty bad for NS.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:23 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,875,232 times
I don't know. Break ups when you live with someone can be pretty tough. You can't just stop calling her and move on.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I don't know. Break ups when you live with someone can be pretty tough. You can't just stop calling her and move on.
That's where communication comes in before you move in together. Put the cards on the table with all the what ifs and where we're at in our relationship.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:45 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,439,892 times
Is this really how guys decide when to move in with their girlfriend?

interesting...

Honestly, commute .... followed by financial gain... should probably not be the top two reasons to move in together.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Is this really how guys decide when to move in with their girlfriend?

interesting...

Honestly, commute .... followed by financial gain... should probably not be the top two reasons to move in together.
Usually a couple makes this decision together based on all factors combined. It's not like the guy "decides" and then it magically happens. At least in the world I live in.

If you made it to the end of my post you would have read that living apart is putting a strain on our relationship also.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,243,580 times
The East-West commutes in Chicago can be pretty crappy. In general if you live on the Northside I think you end up being either a Red Line or Blue Line person. It seems like you guys probably need to make some decisions about that. That said, biking can be a huge help in those situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago