Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times

Advertisements

Then they're not working class honestly. I don't think that blue collar means working class always anyway. If you're an electrician and you make 60k a year or something your certainly blue collar, but in my mind you're middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Then they're not working class honestly. I don't think that blue collar means working class always anyway. If you're an electrician and you make 60k a year or something your certainly blue collar, but in my mind you're middle class.

Well many white collar people won't accept any blue collar person as "middle class" no matter how much dough they have or make. Some base class on income but many base it on how that income is earned.

I was making well into 6 figures when I retired but I always considered myself working class; I'm a left-wing trade unionist and would resent being considered bourgeois---I've a different set of values than the middle class. Generally.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:50 AM

Obviously the middle class is a big group and as such it is hard to ascribe them a fixed set of values, but I alwyas thought of the middle class as wanting to own a home, send their kids to a good school and retire on their terms.

Sounds like you did all of that right? Esp. since you mentioned your daughter is a yuppie

Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 AM

132 posts, read 528,934 times
Quote:
I alwyas thought of the middle class as wanting to own a home, send their kids to a good school and retire on their terms.
What class groups don't want to own a home, send their kids to a good school, and retire on their own terms?

Old 08-18-2008, 10:30 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Obviously the middle class is a big group and as such it is hard to ascribe them a fixed set of values, but I alwyas thought of the middle class as wanting to own a home, send their kids to a good school and retire on their terms.

Sounds like you did all of that right? Esp. since you mentioned your daughter is a yuppie

Yeah, it is all mixed up isn't it. Class in this country is complex and talking about it is considered taboo by many.

"Class" by Paul Fussell is a good book on the subject and very amusing too.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,043 times
Indeed, very subjective are the definitions of the various socio-economic "classes"...

But often more amusing than inter-class warfare are the many petty inferiority/superiority intra-class jealousies and skirmishes....

Whether a trailer park or ghetto or Naperville or GoldCoast or Eastern LkForest...humans will be humans: money doesn't cure jealousy...

Old 08-18-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
What class groups don't want to own a home, send their kids to a good school, and retire on their own terms?
Well of course they all do - but the poor will never get it and the rich don't have to work for it. How else are we to define the middle class?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:11 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah if you bought it or owned it more than 10-15 years ago(and in some areas more like 5 years ago) before the huge inflation in housing prices and values. Why would you not be working class still?
Because you suddenly have a really big net worth. Class is a funny thing in the year 2008. It's perfectly alright to spend $40,000 on a F-150 if you're "working class", even though that's the same price you'd pay for a Bimmer 3-series. In today's world it seems like class has more to do with how you shop than actual income levels or net worth. For instance, a union plumber makes more money than a typical architect, but one is considered "working class" and one is clearly not.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:39 PM

838 posts, read 3,098,279 times
My neighborhood has a few dozen single family homes that go from 2.2 million dollars and up. the ppl live in those homes all consider themselves middle class. In fact the entire east lincoln park( north to diversey, halsted to lake michigan) is middle class

Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
A house worth 2.2 million? The must be in denial if they think they are middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago