Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 PM

15 posts, read 13,851 times

Advertisements

I'm 29 years old. Male. Single. Straight. Good salary. Works as software engineer in Northbrook. I'm looking for a neighborhood with young people, single professionals women, with nightlife. Other posts suggest Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Logan Square, Old Town. I'm taking into consideration that it will take me 40min to get from those neighborhoods to Northbrook. What do you think I should choose? Other suggestions are welcome! Maybe there are other places with what I'm looking plus nightlife and reasonable distance between the work and home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:57 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,961,724 times
What type of nightlife are we talking about and what kind of commute do you want to (i.e. max amount of time)? Also, none of this means anything without a budget in mind.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 PM

15 posts, read 13,851 times
I'm planing to drive. Up to 40min. Preferable rent is up to $1000. Nightlife is bars, clubs, meeting interesting people

Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 PM

Thanks. I know that you meant bars, clubs, etc. What kind of bars? On that budget you probably won't be living downtown on your own (though there may be a few places you could get a studio in in the Gold Coast, but they won't be special). The great thing about Chicago is that you don't have to live in the neighborhood you do nightlife in.

The problem with your 40 minute commute time is that any areas you may find interesting in Chicago are still like 15-20 miles away from Northbrook. That commute time may not work if you don't get on the road early enough in the morning and come back after a certain time. Am I assuming correctly that your workplace is not near the Metra and your employer does not provide a shuttle from the Metra?

I guess if you had to live in the city, my suggestions would be Lincoln Square/Ravenswood, Albany Park (along the train line), Edgewater, Rogers Park, and Irving Park. I picked these because of your 40 minute commute. Irving Park offers a good thing because it is right near the Edens which you can take up to Northbrook. It's also on the Blue Line which runs 24/7 and can get you to some nightlife areas at any hour. It may take at least 15 minutes just to get to Logan Square from there.

Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, and Albany Park because they have things to do and they're on a train line (brown) but that train line doesn't run between like 1:30am and 4 or 5am depending on the day. It's more inland, though you can take Lawrence Avenue across to the Edens. Edgewater and Rogers Park because they have things to do, but they are on the Red Line which runs 24/7. Again like Irving Park, the ride to other nightlife areas will take a little bit, but at least it's something. These two are probably the furthest away from Northbrook out of any I listed.

I don't think with the 40 minute thing your options are amazing, but it's something maybe. I think if you were able to take the Metra to work instead, that 40 minute constraint would allow you to live in a few other areas like Logan Square.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 PM

12 posts, read 14,412 times
i'm guessing Rosemont

Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 PM

This thread is asking about areas in the city. Rosemont is not Chicago.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,460,359 times
Default But it is pretty much surrounded by Chicago ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Mod cut: off topic.

Firstly, if the OP is working in eastern Northbrook near the terminus of the Edens they likely can drive from any neighborhood close to the Blue Line and north of of Belmont in about 40 minutes for the AM commute, evenings would be worse. If they work closer to the west end of Northbrook, nearer the Allstate Campus they may want to live closer to the Lawrence split as traffic will take longer and might be wise to consider 294 instead. Rosemont would be a could option for the latter commute and not only does it have a rapidly developing entertainment district of its own, good Blue Line access will put you into the hottet areas in under 20 minutes and enable a safe trip back home at any hour.

Sometimes one has to use their knowledge of the region to answer questions instead of playing silly games about borders.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-27-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 08:00 AM

319 posts, read 605,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theateist View Post
I'm planing to drive. Up to 40min. Preferable rent is up to $1000. Nightlife is bars, clubs, meeting interesting people
Without knowing what kind of bars/clubs/interesting people:

Any blue line stop north-west of Damen and you'll be near wicker, logan square, etc. You could even be out to Irving park, and be closer to work and an easy hop on to 90/94. Rent would be cheaper out there, but you'd be commuting to night-life.

It is a huge help when you say what kind of bar/club is preferential to you. There are many types. I think in Wicker, you really get a little bit of everything, but I don't consider the area to have much in the way of clubs or sports bars.

You can meet all different types of "professionals" in Wicker park/UKV. Lots of UIC/RUSH docs and nurses, students, hipsters (like chet ), and the thousands of graphic designers.

As an addendum chet, the second night-life is on the table, the suburbs should be basically thrown out. It's just not the same. While there are no doubt individual bars and night-life destinations in the suburbs, those are not what most under 40's are looking for. That and with the difficulty of finding public transit or being intoxicated while driving makes most of those areas undesirable to say the least.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,715,038 times
Quote:
Right, plus most suburbs are truly awful for night life and restaurants. Including Rosemont.

Last edited by Vlajos; 01-26-2014 at 08:29 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 09:28 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,606,166 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the poster to whom your responding was being facetious, seeing as how he's not Chet. Even if it were technically part of the city, there's no reason a 29-year-old looking for nightlife would ever live in Rosemont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago