Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:07 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

I have a real bad feeling that the places that got much poorer also are seeing a concentration of single non-majority race...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 10:18 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I forgot that census tracts can change from each census. I'll still do it but some areas may very well be an eye test. If I want to create more work for myself, I may analyze which tracts have the same boundaries between 2000 and 2010.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:22 AM

66 posts, read 104,007 times
This may be more of a Census question than anything else, but I wonder how much transience comes into play with map like these? For example, people that still haven't transferred their driver license over to Illinois from other states, people in the 24-29 demo that move every year/couple of years, etc.

Do you think things like these would make much of a difference?

Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers View Post
This may be more of a Census question than anything else, but I wonder how much transience comes into play with map like these? For example, people that still haven't transferred their driver license over to Illinois from other states, people in the 24-29 demo that move every year/couple of years, etc.

Do you think things like these would make much of a difference?
No, it makes no difference. They don't mine data from local governments. Every residence gets a questionairre and/or someone who actually physically comes to their residence to take the data.

The thing way more at play are the people who don't even fill it out/answer their doors who think the census is pointless, and also the undocumented persons population who hides from doing it. There could very well be 200,000 more people in Chicago than the official count (and that goes for other cities as well).

Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
No, it makes no difference. They don't mine data from local governments. Every residence gets a questionairre and/or someone who actually physically comes to their residence to take the data.

The thing way more at play are the people who don't even fill it out/answer their doors who think the census is pointless, and also the undocumented persons population who hides from doing it. There could very well be 200,000 more people in Chicago than the official count (and that goes for other cities as well).
Technically the Dept of Commerce considers the actual formulae that is uses to extrapolate data for households that have not sent back their decenial census forms their own version of "Above Top Secret" but for those of us that understand how the poltics of norming enter into the data reporting there are lots of clues about what really goes into the "secret sauce" -- Housing Perspectives (from the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies): A Surge in Hispanic Household Growth? The Challenge of Interpreting Short-Term Trends in Datasets that are Occasionally Adjusted

Bottomline, local governments, especially in urban setting where there are all kinds of factions, have a whole lot of incentives to "help" massage numbers...

Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM

No disagreeing there about the fact that local governments have a lot of incentives to massage numbers. This happens in many areas of the world too, or people helping out where most of their families live/their place of growing up. I think the most prevalent I've ever seen is Istanbul, though in reverse. About 4 million of its residents are estimated to be registered in their "hometowns" instead of Istanbul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago