Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 04:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Bridgeport is historically not the part of town you'd want to go if you were black or African American. But Asian? Bridgeport is now over 35% Asian with Chinatown basically "sneaking" its way into there. Even McKinley Park is over 15% Asian. For the Gold Coast, and as an actual resident of it, I find the younger crowd (20s, 30s, and even 40s) to be not giving a **** what anybody's race is. My building is very diverse itself and I know others in my specific area are too. There are some old people who do care, but they're kind of being pushed away or are in the big minority now in certain areas. And there is racism for black/African American in Chicago, but Asian? That's probably about the safest minority you can be in town here. The opinions of them are generally pretty damn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 07:43 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
I would agree with most posts. Chicago is very racist because of little interaction between Black and Whites.

With that being said, The Gold Coast isn't one of those neighborhoods that has a problem with open Black and White racism. Asians from what I've been told don't experience much racism in Chicago. I have a friend from Japan who was surprised at how little racism she experienced in Chicago. She had the same concern as you because of its history of Black and White racism.

Good luck.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:23 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American JP View Post
Okay so I am from Honolulu, HI and I am majoring in Marketing. I want to move to the mainland for economic opportunities and Chicago attracts me for many reasons. I did my research and it is one of the top cities in the United States that pays above the national average for Marketing jobs, the University of Chicago also has a very good business school and I would like to do my graduate program there if it will open up huge opportunities. I also read that Chicago is one of the top ten cities in the World that is economically powerful. With all of this said it sounds too good to be true but I hear bad things about Chicago and I need to confirm if its true. Besides the awful extreme weather you guys experience I heard racism is still a problem in Chicago. Although the city is well diversed it is still seggregated and it will be difficult for a minority to purchase a home. I am of mix race but I pull more of my Asian roots, I would like to buy an apartment in the gold coast of Chicago but I heard it will be impossible to buy one if I am not White even if I qualify to buy. Is this true? also are the salaries high in Chicago?
It would be illegal for you to be discriminated against based on race in the way you described. You will not have any problems. You may run into some idiot individuals, but institutional racism against asians in the central part of Chicago doesn't really exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago