Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:16 PM

12 posts, read 17,842 times

Advertisements

Hello,

How safe would you consider 45th & Vinceness avenue? I know that overall the south side is not the safest area to live in, but I need to be close to work (UofC) and don't want to spend a fortune on rent. I also don't mind a little bit of grit or an up and coming area, as long as I don't have to go home to a neighborhood full of daily crime or people just loitering/drinking in front of doorsteps at odd hours and such.

I found a room for rent with some friendly professional ladies & asked about safety and was told that the apartment is in a good area of Bronzeville. I was told that because it's so close to Hyde Park it does not get all the ghettoness (I know it's not a word) and as much crime. I also doubt UofC police patrols there since it's west of Cottage. Any thoughts? The price is $700 for the master bedroom, so I'm kind of leaning towards it, but I also don't want to feel unsafe in my own home.

If it matters, I'll be moving from Baltimore. I live in a good area, it's very diverse on all fronts, but not too far away we do have some pretty run down areas and projects.

Thank you and happy thanksgiving weekend!

Vagabonda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
The UofC police umbrella ends at 47th street and east of Vincennes. I could not advise you to take that apartment at the location unless you have a feel for urban neighborhoods and would not stand out there too much. There are closer accommodations with better transportation to the campus.

Check east Hyde Park or even Washington Park.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:49 AM

12 posts, read 17,842 times
Manigault, I thought Washington Park was the ghetto and very unsafe? Thanks for your advice. I can't seem to find an affordable apartment that allows pets. The UofC faculty and staff residential services is helping me find a place, but so far they've not come up with anything. Craigslist has not been very helpful either.

Thanks again.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:04 AM

527 posts, read 600,440 times
Bronzeville has been gentrifying, but I still would not want to live in the Southern portion of it. Grand Boulevard has 15 homicides in the past two years in an area of only 21,000 people. There are far worse areas of Chicago, but Hyde Park would be far better.

Did you check this site? Hyde Park - Kenwood Apartments | Domu Chicago

Also, it looks like Craigslist has a lot of stuff, such as this: We Have HARDWOOD & SPACE! -Come See this 1 BedRm- Available January!

The best thing to do, if you can, is to come here and walk or drive around the neighborhood, looking for "for rent" signs.

Hyde Park will cost more than the surrounding neighborhoods, but will be worth it. Washington Park is a bad recommendation. It would be worse than Bronzeville, IMO.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabonda View Post
Manigault, I thought Washington Park was the ghetto and very unsafe? Thanks for your advice. I can't seem to find an affordable apartment that allows pets. The UofC faculty and staff residential services is helping me find a place, but so far they've not come up with anything. Craigslist has not been very helpful either.

Thanks again.
Check Mac Properties:

Apartments for Rent - Hyde Park, Chicago | MAC Property Management

Also, try the ads in the Hyde Park Herald:

hpherald.com

Old 12-02-2013, 05:10 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
Quote:

Thanks again.
Stay away from Washington Park.

If you have the money, live in Downtown and take Metra to U of Chicago.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Hello,

How safe would you consider 45th & Vinceness avenue? I know that overall the south side is not the safest area to live in, but I need to be close to work (UofC) and don't want to spend a fortune on rent. I also don't mind a little bit of grit or an up and coming area, as long as I don't have to go home to a neighborhood full of daily crime or people just loitering/drinking in front of doorsteps at odd hours and such.

I found a room for rent with some friendly professional ladies & asked about safety and was told that the apartment is in a good area of Bronzeville. I was told that because it's so close to Hyde Park it does not get all the ghettoness (I know it's not a word) and as much crime. I also doubt UofC police patrols there since it's west of Cottage. Any thoughts? The price is $700 for the master bedroom, so I'm kind of leaning towards it, but I also don't want to feel unsafe in my own home.

If it matters, I'll be moving from Baltimore. I live in a good area, it's very diverse on all fronts, but not too far away we do have some pretty run down areas and projects.

Thank you and happy thanksgiving weekend!

Vagabonda
It's hard for me to say whether the area is safe or not, but I'd trust the opinion of people who live there over people on the internet who have never spent time in the neighborhood. Many people paint really broad strokes over these things.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
It's hard for me to say whether the area is safe or not, but I'd trust the opinion of people who live there over people on the internet who have never spent time in the neighborhood. Many people paint really broad strokes over these things.
I was in Washington Park today and at 43rd and Vincennes yesterday. Just by coincidence.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I was in Washington Park today and at 43rd and Vincennes yesterday. Just by coincidence.
...you obviously lived to tell about it BUT would really recommend living there? Not just the issue of immeadiate safety but also day-to-day livability?

Old 12-04-2013, 01:35 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
The area seems to be slowly improving, from a very low base, but I don't feel safe there - even though one of the best looking blocks on the south side (the 4500 block of Forrestville) is a block away. Just being within the borders of Hyde Park-Kenwood, that is, from Cottage Grove to the lake and south of 47th, will put you in contact with a diverse (= not all African American) population and within the U of C patrol umbrella.

Parts of Kenwood north of 47th have become nicely gentrified, but I'm not sure of the specifics. At any rate, Kenwood stops (rather abruptly) at Cottage Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: