Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times

Advertisements

I'm attending DePaul this upcoming January and am planning on living in the University Center campus housing in S. State St at the Loop and commuting to Lincoln Park for classes. Is this area safe? I will also need to take the "L" to and from classes each day. I know I will be getting on Red Line at Harrison stop in the morning and get off at Fullerton and vice versa after class. Something I'm concern is that I have night classes during the week and I won't get out until 7 or 8 ish. Is it safe to take the red line? and is it safe to ride the L around this time? I would like to bring a car but parking is such a hassle. Please give some advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:23 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
It would be nuts to bring a car.
There are thousands of people around the Red Line stops long past the hours you cite.

Why not try for housing closer to Lincoln Park campus?

Old 11-25-2013, 09:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
First piece of advice: Don't bring a car unless you don't mind paying around $300/mo for parking. You won't need one to get around town or get to basic services/amenities/etc.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:18 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It would be nuts to bring a car.
There are thousands of people around the Red Line stops long past the hours you cite.

Why not try for housing closer to Lincoln Park campus?
This. Completely agreed on everything here.

The area is safe, and 7pm or 8pm is not considered late. The red line actually never shuts down, and there are still a number of people riding the train even at 9pm or 10pm.There are still people working their office jobs in the Loop at 7pm or 8pm for that matter (not a ton, but there are a good number). Not to mention in general the Loop is amongst the safest areas of town, even if you didn't factor in the reality of hundreds of thousands of workers (many office workers, as well as food service) there at least 5 days a week who don't live there, and not to mention the tourists who stay in their hotels in the Loop, or a few of the big theaters that put on productions (plays, musicals) in the Loop, etc.

A car in the Loop and Lincoln Park? For what? Do you realize these areas are amongst some of the most walkable areas in the entire United States? If you want a quick bite to eat, you walk out of your building for anywhere from 0 to 50 feet and you'll probably find something. Lincoln Park? On the major streets it's like that too. If you wanted to eat at a place in nearby River North, take the train for 5 minutes and walk a few minutes to your destination. The Loop, as well as some of the surrounding areas like Streeterville, part of River North, etc have many high rises in them and there's not a ton of street parking at them. If you want parking, the best chance you have is to park in a ramp, which cost an exorbitant amount of money here ($30-$45 for 8-24 hours on average). It's just not worth it, especially if you're a student and you aren't pretty well off to just throw money away by doing this.

You are pretty much worrying about nothing. If you are worrying about a train ride at 8pm between some of the safest areas of town, then you probably don't belong in a city. With that being said, you should always practice general awareness of who is around you. Crime can happen anywhere and at any moment, so being oblivious to your surroundings is not recommended. I'm not saying crime will happen to you, but in a city, there is always the "you never know" factor.

Also, as Chet said, why not try and live near Lincoln Park? Not only is that where the main campus is located, but things are also open later. I could point you to a few hole in the wall Mexican places open near DePaul at 3am, but I can't do that in the Loop.

Last edited by marothisu; 11-25-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo723 View Post
I'm attending DePaul this upcoming January and am planning on living in the University Center campus housing in S. State St at the Loop and commuting to Lincoln Park for classes. Is this area safe? I will also need to take the "L" to and from classes each day. I know I will be getting on Red Line at Harrison stop in the morning and get off at Fullerton and vice versa after class. Something I'm concern is that I have night classes during the week and I won't get out until 7 or 8 ish. Is it safe to take the red line? and is it safe to ride the L around this time? I would like to bring a car but parking is such a hassle. Please give some advice. Thanks!
I used to live in that exact building in apartment 1230 and did the exact same thing you are talking about. Bringing a car is a horrible idea. The red line is super convenient and generally safe.

However, you have to always watch out for people of a "certain demographic" as there are pick pockets, robbers, and general crazies on that train line. Just remember that you are in CHICAGO now and have some STREET SMARTS and you should be okay.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM

549 posts, read 1,559,545 times
Keep your wits about you - it's a big city - but the Red Line is generally packed with people between Roosevelt to about Sheridan day and night, and that section goes through some of the safest and busiest areas of the city. You should be fine. Don't bring a car - parking is difficult if not impossible in those areas.

The only thing I might suggest is that the Harrison stop, of all of the ones around there, is one of the less well maintained and a bit quieter. Try it, but you might want to try the one just north (Jackson) or south (Roosevelt), which tend to be busier.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
I never had a problem with safety taking the 'L' day or night when I lived in Chicago (and the crime in the city years ago was much higher when I used to take it daily than it is now)--and I never have a problem taking it when I come home to visit. I rode nothing but the red line and I rode it on the south side daily to and from the north side and downtown, day and night. Even riding the 'L' on the south side, I never had any problems or felt unsafe and I am female. Never been bothered or harassed on the red line not once in either direction.

Taking the 'L' downtown/into The Loop is about some of the safest you are going to get. You are really worrying about nothing.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:15 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo723 View Post
Something I'm concern is that I have night classes during the week and I won't get out until 7 or 8 ish. Is it safe to take the red line? and is it safe to ride the L around this time? I would like to bring a car but parking is such a hassle. Please give some advice. Thanks!
While I don't go to DePaul, I do go to Loyola at the Water Tower and ride the red line further south than you do/would to get home and generally closer to 10ish at night. You will be fine. Seriously. Be street smart and you'll be fine, i.e., don't flash your fancy phone around. But this is true city wide of any large city.

And please, for the love of anything, don't bring a car.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:51 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
1 - Yes, it is safe. Do not worry.
2 - Bring a car if you can afford parking OR can handle parking it in different areas, moving it, possibly getting tickets, can find decent parking spots for free/cheap. If I were you, I wouldn't bring a car. If I were me, I would.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:41 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Cars in Chicago can be useful, but if you live in the Loop your car will be more or less unusable during daylight, not to mention you'll have no choice but to rent a space in a commercial garage and it will not be cheap.

I wouldn't even live in the Loop if I were in your position. You might try it and disagree, but I did dorm life and I came out disliking the "college ghetto" scene (a.k.a. dense student housing where everything nearby caters to that crowd). Not to mention people from out of town are often unaware that the Loop is not really a place that people hang out in, unless they're going to some event. If you really want/need student housing, and experiencing Chicago is anywhere on your list of priorities while you're here, I'd try and get it near campus; it's a nice neighborhood. You could also consider an apartment with roommates, and if you're set on keeping your car you can park it on your street for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago