Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:01 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,084,866 times

Advertisements

all the thread here on CD Chicago and we never hear much about Chinatown good or bad. Is that a good or bad thing?

I lived there for a few years back in the 90's and the place has grown a lot the subsequent times I've visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:25 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,202,761 times
90% of posts are from people wanting to move here.
And everyone suggests some neighborhood along the redline north.

No one on here talks about real neighborhoods.
No one here is from "ethnic enclaves"
They see it from the outside.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:43 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
all the thread here on CD Chicago and we never hear much about Chinatown good or bad. Is that a good or bad thing?

I lived there for a few years back in the 90's and the place has grown a lot the subsequent times I've visited.
There have been a number of threads about Chinatown, and I've written a pretty good number of long, descriptive posts in them.

I wouldn't say it's very frequent to come up, but it does come up.

Chinatown in Chicago is, in my opinion, not nearly as good as Chinatown in San Francisco, or in New York, but after that it's probably in the top five for the Mainland U.S. That says more about the sad state of affairs for other cities' Chinatowns than the wonders of Chicago's, however Chicago's is certainly better than any other in the Midwest, and I think it's better than Boston's, Seattle's and Portland's, too, which is pretty impressive considering those are all cities with ports on or near the ocean.

Though it's not as dense as the Manhattan or San Francisco ones, the Chinatown in Chicago is a real Chinatown with Chinese-owned restaurants, Chinese-owned non-food businesses, Chinese-focused doctors and lawyers, Chinese social service agencies, Chinese churches and, of course, lots of actual Chinese residents.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
The weird thing about Chinatown is that it is less "ethnic enclave" than "anachronism" at this point. There are almost certainly more folks of Chinese heritage living in western and northern suburbs, and the folks that do live in such areas are less likely to have friends / relatives in Chicago's Chinatown than in places like Vancouver, Champaign-Urbana, Chapel Hill N.C., Palo Alto or other college towns...

When it comes to folks from any Asian nations they can find unique groceries from their native lands as easily at stores in Westmont or Arlington Heights as easily they can in Chicago's Chinatown. The same is absolutely true of herbalists / traditional medical practioners, Chinese bankers, and lawyers familiar with both Hong Kong/ UK land issues and those of modern mainland China -- all of those can be found in the suburbs, probably with better parking and easier access than in Chinatown. Heck even inside Chicago the variety of shops and restaurants that have ties to immigrants from Vietnam, Korea, or Malaysia are more likely to be found on N. Broadway than along Cermack...

There are certainly some interesting spots to eat and shop in Chinatown but it has not evolved as much as other areas. Part of this is by design, as the business owners that want the area to remain a "draw" for out-of-town tourists as well as folks from within the metro region have a stake in keeping true integration / assimilation at bay.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:07 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
90% of posts are from people wanting to move here.
And everyone suggests some neighborhood along the redline north.

No one on here talks about real neighborhoods.
No one here is from "ethnic enclaves"
They see it from the outside.
If someone says, "I'm Chinese, and want to live around other Chinese people in Chicago's center for Chinese culture", then Chinatown would probably be the first response. But instead we usually get people who are like 20-nothing from Michigan and who want to move to the city to party and meet girls/guys. Or they are older ask about good schools, and that limits the neighborhood choice quite a bit as well.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:16 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
I suggest Chinatown sometimes. The problem with suggesting Chinatown is that it's sometimes hard to find an apartment there, but on Zillow there are some under Armour Square. There are some really nice places down there actually. Some are pretty cheap (3 bedroom, $1250/month, 1990s construction), and others are really nice and about the price of a Lincoln Park apartment but much better.

I do love Chinatown though and am there quite a bit. Not for everyone and I've had a few non-Chinese friends who have lived there. I have considered moving down there before too. As Emanthias said, it's not as good as SF or NYC, but it's probably top 5. I found it better than Honolulu's FWIW. Also, Chinatown had a survey a month or two ago about suggestions to expand Chinatown as they're making a place into 2030-ish for it. I'm not sure if the survey is still available but it's great they're doing that.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
How come we never hear much about Chinatown?

Why? Because people posting here aren't that interested in Chinatown.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

I wish more people were. The thing I find interesting is that Chinatown has a decent handful of restaurants open very late night, especially on the weekends, and is good food usually, but most people have no idea. It's on the f'ing red line which runs 24 hours and people still don't get down there for this. I have to admit that it's great if you're drinking in River North, Gold Coast, or South Loop and need a lot of food after for cheap. It's 10-15 minutes on the red line and you could be at a restaurant at 3am or 4am to get a big plate of Chinese food for under $9. I think Ming Hin has dim sum until 2am too, and there's another place that may have it until 6am.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

I don't think that's a fair assumption to make. The forum activity here is largely guided by people asking questions from outside Chicago.

I go to Chinatown multiple times each year, and bring the kids. We bring out of town guests. It's a lot of fun. It just doesn't come up very often on this forum because it's not a very common place for transplants to move to (unless they are Chinese immigrants).

We do get a lot of dumb generalizations about the South Side on this forum, as if it's just one large ghetto. I'll give you that.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:00 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

No news is good news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago