Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
It was a troll post initially, regardless if it was intended to be.

Part of the reason I hated living on the west coast was a combination of how shallow/stupid people were. Moved back to Chicago ASAP, after trying to be accepting for a year of the misery that it is out there. Though I did get a lot of nice rocks.

A friend of mine, who was a psychologist, confided on me on the day I was leaving, and wasn't a terribly close friend, more of an acquaintance, about how miserable she was living out there, because her patients were morons compared to those on the east-coast/mid-west. (She had a practice for 20 years out east, grew up in IA)

So yes, a *physically* adult person may have posted this. And I'm sure I'm going to go out and buy a shirt that is $90 to make them feel better, since the K-mart one made in the same labor camp with a different logo somehow is different.
Yes just watch on the Jay Leno show "jaywalking" or on Bill O'Reilly's show "Watters World" and see how clueless/dumb/stupid adults can be. They dont even know answers to simple questions. (or questions that would show they are paying attention to whats going on. They would for example see a picture of a famous person, and not know who they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
Well, I think poor people like you should be shamed. What kind of bad decisions did you make to be poor? Then well off people like myself have to support you. It makes me sick to see all of these homeless people or people who have to buy their clothes at Goodwill or Walmart. People are poor because they make bad decisions regarding what a well paying job would be or they are ignorant about how to earn a good living. How could their parents raise them to be poor? (PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS SARCASM)

I hope I don't run into you because you're poor, judgmental and incredibly shallow. What a miserable combination. You sound like those vegans who let EVERYONE know that they're a vegan in an effort to show that they are superior to the rest of us who think that life is too short to eat some of that nasty crap. After all, how do you know someone is a vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you. What an insufferable group of people.
That dude quoted a guy with a cart selling soda and candy. that guy with the cart is at least working. so I applaud him for that.. Its probably all he can do.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Sure, it's rampant; EVERYONE is 300lb plus. So is everyone in SF a stuck up snob?

Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
fat shaming/hate is weird

Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Yes, OP. We're all really big and fat over here. Please, stay in SF.
Not me. I weigh all of 125 pounds, although I try desperately to put on weight, I really do.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 AM

410 posts, read 491,822 times
Please tell me this is a joke.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:18 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
fat shaming/hate is weird
kinda, I mean there are so many conflicting messages I can see how people develop a variety of opinions.

1. clearly, genetics are a huge factor. I know people who bike 5 days a week who appear to be quite overweight. but they are healthy.

2. people are increasingly connecting obesity with astronomical spikes in health care costs. like smoking, one's lifestyle choices do have financial implications for society.

3. thanks in large part to agricultural subsidies, HFCS is now used as a cheap filler in many products you might not expect. seeing it listed first in items like ketchup is pretty telling IMO.

4. building on #3, our public schools serve crap food which conditions kids for the rest of their lives. watching grown adults eat flaming hot cheetos on the L at 8 am isn't a genetic problem, that's a behavioral conditioning problem.

5. all the above notwithstanding, you can't judge a book by its cover. on an individual basis, I'd absolutely rather give someone overweight the benefit of the doubt than be a judgmental SOB. where we can make a difference is on the political/policy side of things.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:45 AM

3 posts, read 5,278 times
I don't have any problem with how much people weigh or what they look like. I really hate when I am on a crowded bus, there are always few overweight individual taking up 2-3 seats at once. They normally sit in the front of the bus, and they won't get up for seniors. I live on the South Side. I see this happening almost everyday on the number 6 bus.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarc View Post
I live on the South Side. I see this happening almost everyday on the number 6 bus.
I've noticed that too.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmarc View Post
I don't have any problem with how much people weigh or what they look like. I really hate when I am on a crowded bus, there are always few overweight individual taking up 2-3 seats at once. They normally sit in the front of the bus, and they won't get up for seniors. I live on the South Side. I see this happening almost everyday on the number 6 bus.
Really - 2-3 seats? I cannot imagine someone taking up all 3 of the side-facing seats, unless its with their packages. 2 maybe.. but not 3.. though I have seen some men sit with their legs spread out wide and they might take up one seat plus half of each of the seats next to him (i saw one guy friday do this, and when a lady wanted to sit down he put his legs back together and she was able to sit down.

Part of the reason is that the CTA seats have gotten skinnier, which seems to be a problem nowadays. You really have to be a tiny short and slim person to fit in them.

When you are a large person especially, and if you are not in shape, its tiring on the body to stand. A large person has the need for a seat because especially if they go a long distance they don't want to stand and get bumped around while the bus is moving and its tiring to stand while carrying extra weight. Some overweight people may believe that their being fat makes them a handicapped person and therefore they take a seat up front which is meant for seniors and handicapped.

I notice this when I went to Target last month. I had not been out shopping in a long time in a Target. Well, when i got there, i saw about 2 dozen carts where you sit on them and wheel yourself around the store, rather than walk. a long time ago I only saw about 6 of these. I then proceeded to shop and I saw a lot of fat people on these carts,, because Target is so big, that fat people cant walk the aisles to shop and have to ride instead. Thats just my opinion and view about the matter what I noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago