Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:50 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,803,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I know what you meant, but to me it really pales in comparison to all the Chicago movies that came out in the 80's. Maybe it is semi-rebounding after a slump, but I have a hard time viewing it as a "new trend."
Yeah, TV and film production in Chicago have been pretty consistent for many years now. We may have a slow year or two every now and then, but I don't see anything different about today as compared to, say, ten years ago. I feel like I always stumbled across film crews in the decade+ I lived in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:58 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,282,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The thing is, minus a handful of places, Chicago is better than most of them. Even for fashion.
Yeah but I think there is a misconception from outsiders that it's a big city that could possibly give you entree into those industries whereas practically speaking in reality it cannot. All it does is prepare your resume to move to NYC or LA.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:05 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,825,478 times
Quote:
The thing is, minus a handful of places, Chicago is better than most of them. Even for fashion.
Right, if anything I would say Chicago is fourth in the country for that, after Miami.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:11 PM

144 posts, read 146,351 times
I was watching this show last night on ABC about Chicago politics (it was filmed in Chicago too). It seemed like a good show, but the story line doesn't help the city's rep.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:01 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Yeah but I think there is a misconception from outsiders that it's a big city that could possibly give you entree into those industries whereas practically speaking in reality it cannot. All it does is prepare your resume to move to NYC or LA.
. Very much agree.

The issue isn't what Chicago has or doesn't have compared to other cities. The issue, in my mind, is that I don't understand why more haven't been done to boost this particular economy? Chicago has the talent, it has the infrastructure or at the very least, room to build more of it, it has the reputation and history, and yet it's starting to lag behind places like Atlanta which lacks some of these things. There's little reason for most artists to stay in Chicago unless you're from the area/Midwest. I know a ton of artists rethinking the whole staying in Chicago idea and many have already left for greener pastures (including moi).

Then again, maybe Chicago folks are fine with this and don't want Hollywood 3.0 here...

Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Right, if anything I would say Chicago is fourth in the country for that, after Miami.
The thing is with Fashion, if your fourth you might as we'll be 20th, NYC (and LA to an extent) are so far ahead in those industries that everyone else is almost irrelevant.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
The thing is with Fashion, if your fourth you might as we'll be 20th, NYC (and LA to an extent) are so far ahead in those industries that everyone else is almost irrelevant.
I'd say there's about 90% truth to this...but Chicago, even though it's far behind LA and NYC is still ahead of other cities by a healthy margin.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:33 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,825,478 times
Quote:
I'd say there's about 90% truth to this...but Chicago, even though it's far behind LA and NYC is still ahead of other cities by a healthy margin.
Right thats my point. While Chicago is far from LA and NYC in that regard after those cities its one of your next best options. I mean its not like its NYC and LA are tier 1 and everyone else is on the same tier. For example when it comes to fashion Chicago is way ahead of Indianapolis, or SF is way ahead of Sacramento. After NYC and LA there is a massive drop, but even after that there are cities that are much more relevant than others.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,221,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
If you're in the city you probably noticed all the films and tv shows shooting on location simultaneously as of late. It's cool that the city is becoming so popular in fiction as opposed to shows and movies set in NYC or L.A., though it can get a little grating having to take constant alternate routes because so and so is shooting here and someone else has the other area blocked off, etc.
Chicago has been the backdrop of many films forever. This is nothing new. Even parts of the Chris Nolan-directed Batman franchise was shot in Chicago and when you watch the films, you will see that the cars have Illinois plates on them. So I guess Gotham City is really Chicago lol.

All of John Hughes' films were shot in Chicago/Chicagoland (to include Home Alone and Ferris Bueller's Day Off), The Blues Brothers, Adventures in Babysitting, are just a few of the major films shot there so this isn't recent.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,952,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
If you're in the city you probably noticed all the films and tv shows shooting on location simultaneously as of late. It's cool that the city is becoming so popular in fiction as opposed to shows and movies set in NYC or L.A., though it can get a little grating having to take constant alternate routes because so and so is shooting here and someone else has the other area blocked off, etc.
While Chicago is clearly an awesome city, I don't think television does the city-scape any justice. While I get that Chicago can be a refreshing change to NYC in TV/Movies at times, Chicago just doesn't give me thee wow factor on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago