Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:42 PM

484 posts, read 884,153 times

Advertisements

Anyone who follows the news knows that Chicago has had a lot of crime, especially in the last couple of years. It's a city that I would love to visit but the crime is holding me back. Is it really as violent as the media portrays it? How would the crime compare to say, Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,123,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Anyone who follows the news knows that Chicago has had a lot of crime, especially in the last couple of years. It's a city that I would love to visit but the crime is holding me back. Is it really as violent as the media portrays it? How would the crime compare to say, Atlanta?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ital-well.html

Old 10-15-2013, 03:56 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,434,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Chicago's crime has been in decline since the 90s.

/END THREAD.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:12 PM

39 posts, read 52,432 times
If you are a young black male who wants to visit certain west or south side neighborhoods, then yeah I would think twice.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,325,555 times
Yay! we hadn't had a "crime" thread here in, what, at least half an hour?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,983,320 times
Chicago is pretty much a tale of two cities. 99.8% of tourists will never have any want or reason to go into the areas that are dangerous and frankly, even near most any of them. You're totally fine. If Chicago was actually dangerous EVERYWHERE, there probably wouldn't be 40-50 million tourists who visit every year...

Old 10-15-2013, 05:33 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,507,326 times
Default Have to agree, and it is pretty sad that this has to be pointed out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Chicago is pretty much a tale of two cities. 99.8% of tourists will never have any want or reason to go into the areas that are dangerous and frankly, even near most any of them. You're totally fine. If Chicago was actually dangerous EVERYWHERE, there probably wouldn't be 40-50 million tourists who visit every year...
...the very mixed up priorities of both current Rahm Emanuel administration and prior Daley administration seems to have placed tourist centric development at the top of the heap and neglected any sort of development efforts that would do anything positive for massive swaths of the city that have been plaqued by loss of manufacturing jobs, poor schools and high levels of minority violence.

The decision to lavish scarce resources on quite literally over building areas of Chicago that were already attracting lots of private investment has done much to widen the gap between the haves and have nots. The developers that have benefited from TIF district developments have seen their fortunes grow. So to have the vast major of jobs created in Chicago gone to people that already live in nice areas on the northside or desirable suburbs.

While I can understand the OP being dismayed by media reports that catalog the large number of murders and gun related crime the posters that point out these things are largely confined to parts of Chicago that no tourist will have reason to visit...

Old 10-17-2013, 09:03 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,843,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...the very mixed up priorities of both current Rahm Emanuel administration and prior Daley administration seems to have placed tourist centric development at the top of the heap and neglected any sort of development efforts that would do anything positive for massive swaths of the city that have been plaqued by loss of manufacturing jobs, poor schools and high levels of minority violence.
Why do you think this is? It's not just misplaced priorities. Tourist-centric development is actually something an administration can solve with simple investment of capital in to the downtown area and a few select spots. The "loss of manufacturing jobs, poor schools, and high levels of minority violence" is not something a mayor can easily solve, since the causes run deep in to socioeconomic and cultural roots that go back many decades in this city and other entrenched urban areas. I don't think any mayor can solve these problems without a massive effort from within the communities themselves.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:36 AM

158 posts, read 303,144 times
The disaster that is CPS is a huge barrier to a big rebirth of the Middle Class in the city. In the old days Catholic Schools were cheap and even working class Chicagoans had an alternative to CPS. That isn't the case anymore. The Mayor should support School Vouchers which would be boon for the city in my view. CPS is just beyond hope. Look at schools like St. Angela's grammar in Austin and Providence St. Mell's High School in East Garfield Park. Every student who graduates Providence St. Mell's goes on to College remarkable considering who Impovished and dangerous that community is.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:07 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,972,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
The disaster that is CPS is a huge barrier to a big rebirth of the Middle Class in the city. In the old days Catholic Schools were cheap and even working class Chicagoans had an alternative to CPS. That isn't the case anymore. The Mayor should support School Vouchers which would be boon for the city in my view. CPS is just beyond hope. Look at schools like St. Angela's grammar in Austin and Providence St. Mell's High School in East Garfield Park. Every student who graduates Providence St. Mell's goes on to College remarkable considering who Impovished and dangerous that community is.
This is true, however, you cannot overlook the fact that students in private schools, by definition, have parents who care about their children's education. Public schools do not have that luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago