Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabonda View Post
So this seems like a steal of an apt that I found:
11 East Delaware #19M, Chicago IL - Trulia

I live very, very close to this building. I would say for the building it's a steal but you can find other places for that amount, especially in the South Loop. My building is a little older, but I pay under $1400/month in that area for it. Good area though.

Again, you should be looking on rent.com. Trulia and the like are mainly condos for sale. Rent.com has wayyyyyyyy more high rise stuff on it and you get more legitimate pricing. Some of the stuff you quoted in the South Loop is a little much. I know numerous buildings in the $1400-$1600/month range for a nice 1 bedroom down there in a high rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 11:26 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Agreed that *walking* 1 mile in 10 minutes would set a world record, although any halfway decent runner could manage it. Running to work sounds like a bad idea, especially in the summer.

I have actually had the experience of walking through Washington Park and I was terrified. I'm male, a former Hyde Parker, and relatively jaded but I felt like I was the only non-criminal in the park. I don't recommend it.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM

12 posts, read 17,836 times
Well maybe I should call the Guinness book of records and set it! I walk 1.3/1.5miles in 14 minutes to class, I've timed myself, and google estimates it to be a 23 minute walk. Blame it on my long legs and natural fast pace

Thanks for the input on the commute

Old 10-08-2013, 03:14 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Another option is biking from the Red line station or from the Metra station to the hospital. The Chicago bike-share program will have a bike station at the Red line 55th station, the Metra 56th St station, as well as near the U of Chicago Hospitals. Actually, you could also just take the 55th St bus.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Agreed that *walking* 1 mile in 10 minutes would set a world record, although any halfway decent runner could manage it. Running to work sounds like a bad idea, especially in the summer.

I have actually had the experience of walking through Washington Park and I was terrified. I'm male, a former Hyde Parker, and relatively jaded but I felt like I was the only non-criminal in the park. I don't recommend it.
Agreed that Washington Park is a nasty little bit of business.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:35 PM

148 posts, read 307,599 times
Take the Metra. It's not that far of a walk, and it's a lot safer. There will be Divvy bikes installed soon around 59th and Dorchester that you could also use if you dont want to walk. Return the bike at 58th and Ellis.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
If you can push your start time back to 7:30ish, there is the 192 CTA bus that is express from downtown to the UofC.

CTA Bus #192 U. of Chicago Hospitals Express - Route Information
This would be extremely helpful, but I think that the OP is a nurse (guessing), and her schedule might not be all that flexible.. This is probably the best, and safest, way of getting there, though..

Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
I suggest that the OP take the #6 express bus from downtown to 51st and Cornell. There she can board the #172 for the ten minute ride to the hospital complex. The bus in Hyde Park is free with Uof C ID but it does not start running until 7 am. The #2 express bus from downtown is an option but the earliest one does not get to the medical complex until about 7:24 am.

Don't walk through Washington Park from the red line in the dark on early winter mornings. There are a whole passel of people who drive to Hyde Park early in the morning so explore car pooling.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:11 PM

12 posts, read 17,836 times
@Manigault: Thanks. I walked from the station to the hospital at around 9am and was surprised that it was not as bad as I expected, but as you noted it probably gets worse when its dark.

As of right now, I think I'll just rent a room in Hyde Park until I figure out exactly where I want to live and figure out a realistic plan for commute. Maybe get a car... Thanks guys. You're awesome!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:43 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times
Another former Hyde Parker here urging you not to build a walk through Washington Park in the dark-dark early morning into your commute (and commending you, too, on the decision to start out by living in HP while you figure out what will work for you long-term). Congratulations on the job and I hope you like living in Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago