Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:48 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
So there you have it Irishtom29.
I like Irishtom, but given that he recently referred to Pilsen as a "dump" and recently moved to Florida, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's not really up on the current state of Chicago neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 08:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
While I don't live in that area, how do you know what my habits are in the area? There are times when I'm there for more than just a few hours.
Dude, calm down. You take stuff way too literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I like Irishtom, but given that he recently referred to Pilsen as a "dump," I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's not really up on the current state of Chicago neighborhoods.
Well it's not like Pilsen is some universally gentrified playground from end to end. Much of it is still... well, characterizing itas a "dump" seems a bit harsh but IMO much of Pilsen is still an eyesore.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Dude, calm down. You take stuff way too literally.
Nice backpedal. You don't get to say ridiculous things and then respond with "dude, calm down, I didn't mean it" when people call you out on it. Well, technically I guess you do get to, but people aren't going to take you very seriously in the future.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Nice backpedal. You don't get to say ridiculous things and then respond with "dude, calm down, I didn't mean it" when people call you out on it. Well, technically I guess you do get to, but people aren't going to take you very seriously in the future.
When someone takes a general statement not referring to any specific party to be referring to them specifically and then takes issue with it, then yes they need to calm down and not take it so literally. Whether my telling them so causes you to take me less seriously is of no concern to me whatsoever. Best I can see you're not exactly a pillar of credibility yourself.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 AM

86 posts, read 159,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I find it extremely odd that anyone would call it the worst of anything, let alone the worst on the entire North Side. I can only assume these are Lakeview residents from the suburbs or possibly Iowa who are afraid of people who are different from them.
Go look at the crime data around Lawrence & Sheridan. I certainly am not a suburbanite/Iowa transplant/Lakeview resident... its a crappy area in a hit or miss neighborhood.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,561 times
As others have noted, unless you're getting the apartment for a song, it's just not worth the potential headache. Others have summarized it well: you're fairly close to the JJ Peppers where **** goes down and you're also close to the Wilson/Broadway intersection where **** also goes down. I could think of a lot of other places to get a 2BR. There is absolutely no reason to be tied to this particular place.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,168 times
Well, I guess I will need to give little background information about myself before giving my recommendations so I don't get mislabeled as a "puss" or a *shudder* "suburbanite":

In the 6 years that I've lived in Chicago, I've lived in West Humboldt Park near Pulaski and Division, East Humboldt Park near North & California, Pilsen near 18th and Damen, some neighborhood whose name I don't recall but I was near 50th & Western (is that Back of the Yards?), and I now live in East Garfield Park near the Conservatory. Before that, growing up in Boston, I lived mostly in Roxbury and Mattapan (a neighborhood some like to refer to as "Murderpan".

Yeah, so I'm no stranger to rough and sketchy neighborhoods. I lived in Uptown for a year, not too far from Truman and the cemetery. So, Uptown has its pros and cons, but for me and my roommates at the time, the pros wee much better than the cons. If given the chance, I would move back to that area (alas, too far from various jobs). I've even recommended Uptown to someone recently looking to move to Chicago w/ a couple of dogs.

However, let me say that I've never liked the area around Wilson and Sheridan and Lawrence and Sheridan. In fact, I dislike the latter more so than the former. I went to that JJ Peppers once and avoided it ever since. That corner store near that intersection (Market Pantry??) is even worse. To put it bluntly, **** goes down around there. Constantly. It's not always the level of violence that makes it to the news, but there is a near constant, level of tension around that intersection. I've witnessed some intense arguments from the loiterers that hang out in fromt of the JJ Peppers that have made me speed up to move away. As much as I would recommend Uptown as a whole, I wouldn't recommend anything around that area. It's better once you get further east of Sheridan and the area around Broadway isn't bad, it's just that chunk immediately west of Sheridan and south of Lawrence heading towards Wilson that I've never liked. The further away you are from there, the better.

ETA: Wasn't there an incident were several people waiting the bus at that bus stop there got shot? This happened a bit before the shooting in front of the church on Wilson?

Last edited by eevee; 09-25-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
I like Irishtom, but given that he recently referred to Pilsen as a "dump" and recently moved to Florida, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's not really up on the current state of Chicago neighborhoods.
We're still back and forth between Lincoln Square and St. Augustine, still prepping for the move, no hurry. We're in St. Augustine now though. Got a little tipsy today at the tiki bar by the beach, a 1 block walk away.

WELCOM to Paulas Beachside Grill

I think I'll grow my hair out and become one of those bald guys with a ponytail, I already have the Hawaiian shirts.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
We're still back and forth between Lincoln Square and St. Augustine, still prepping for the move, no hurry. We're in St. Augustine now though. Got a little tipsy today at the tiki bar by the beach, a 1 block walk away.

WELCOM to Paulas Beachside Grill

I think I'll grow my hair out and become one of those bald guys with a ponytail, I already have the Hawaiian shirts.
I'm having trouble picturing the hard-core South Side Chicago trades union man at a tiki bar, and with a ponytail yet, but people can surprise you..

p.S. Have you called anyone a "jagoff" yet?

Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

p.S. Have you called anyone a "jagoff" yet?
LOL, Christ, yer killin' me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago