Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Speaking of development on the west side, I just discovered plans to possibly go through with the redevelopment of the old Sears HQ in North Lawndale into 800-1200 affordable and market rate apartments, condos, and townhomes, next to Homan Square. The Tribune wrote about it in 2005, but a massive building permit was issued the other day for one of the buildings to convert a 6 story building formerly part of the old HQ campus into 181 apartments a few blocks south of the Kedzie-Homan Blue Line stop. Very interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Amazing pics. These remind me of the set of amazing pics from the south side (mainly Bronzeville area) that are out there from the 1970s for their quality and what they capture. Really cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I know everyone here is posting from gated communities, but if you ask me, the pictures above are pretty damn cool.
Stop with the ****. I'd wager a lot of money that exactly 0 people on this sub forum live in a gated community.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,037,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Little Italy wouldn't have been 75% ruined...I honestly can't believe they got rid of most of Little Italy for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Most of the elite mobsters themselves had moved to the suburbs by then, but I'm sure Taylor Street and the surrounding area was still a hotbed for a lot of things.
The area when the U was built was mostly all Hispanic and Black by then, not Italian. And the Taylor St./Maxwell St. area was the filthiest, worst-looking slum I have ever seen in the US to this day. The area was a wreck, and the buildings were cut-rate cheap immigrant "projects" when they were new in the 1880's. Just because something is old does not qualify it as "historic."

Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The area when the U was built was mostly all Hispanic and Black by then, not Italian. And the Taylor St./Maxwell St. area was the filthiest, worst-looking slum I have ever seen in the US to this day. The area was a wreck, and the buildings were cut-rate cheap immigrant "projects" when they were new in the 1880's. Just because something is old does not qualify it as "historic."
The neighborhoods torn down were still heavily Italian and Greek. I went to Iggy's at the time and watched the neighborhood being torn down from the classrooms, I was somewhat familiar with the neighborhood. And Mrs. Scala was in the papers often and I followed the political struggle to preserve the neighborhood.

Maxwell St. was a different world than Taylor St. and Greektown, much changed south of 12th St. I used to go down to Maxwell St. often, my father went down there almost every weekend and HIS father did lots of business there. In the 20s and 30s he did business with a black guy down there who spoke Irish Gaelic.

Greasers used to go down to Maxwell to buy Cabrettas, baggies and army boots and Gousters went down for their zip-deck pants and Stacey Adams shoes.

My father's Communion suit came from Maxwell St., a generation later, our family having moved up in the world, mine came from Madigan's at Madison and Crawford.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 09-22-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I've heard that UIUC almost ended up in Kankakee originally but have never been able to verify it. While Kankakee is currently a joke, both it and Chicago would have been better off with the state flagship school just 55 miles from downtown.
I'm not sure how the flagship university being just 55 miles from downtown would have been of much benefit to Chicago. It sure hasn't helped Detroit any, and I don't see that it makes a significant difference to Milwaukee or Indianapolis either.

Undoubtedly the south suburbs would be significantly more developed than they are now but I don't know how that would have helped Chicago.

Old 09-22-2013, 01:31 PM

158 posts, read 302,190 times
West Garfield Park emptied out almost Immediately after 1961 when the University at the behest of Mayor Daley choose the Halsted-Harrison site for the campus. By 1965 the Neighborhood was just gone and South Austin was starting to change. By 1969 everything South of Lake Street all the way to Austin Blvd had changed. Think about it from 3800 W Hamlin to 6000 W and from Harrison Street 600 S to Lake Street rougly 3 S it changed in less than 10 years! Then in the 70's it was finished off from Lake Street to the tracks North of North Avenue No doubt the riots played a big role but West Side Community were worried even in the late 50's seeing North Lawndale and East Garfield Park go so fast. In about 30 years an entire region of Chicago just totally emptied out. My Great Aunt and Uncle native West Siders now in their 70's still have a hard time wrapping their hands around it all.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 AM

I see a new 42,000 sq ft community center is being built near the Kedzie metra stop (Kedzie and Carroll) in East Garfield Park. Pretty cool..

Old 09-25-2013, 09:40 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Stop with the ****. I'd wager a lot of money that exactly 0 people on this sub forum live in a gated community.
The gates we put up are financial. It's alway amazing to me that a standard Chicago bungalow can cost anywhere from $50,000 to $900,000 within a few miles distance in Chicagoland.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:44 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Side Brandon View Post
West Garfield Park emptied out almost Immediately after 1961 when the University at the behest of Mayor Daley choose the Halsted-Harrison site for the campus. By 1965 the Neighborhood was just gone and South Austin was starting to change. By 1969 everything South of Lake Street all the way to Austin Blvd had changed. Think about it from 3800 W Hamlin to 6000 W and from Harrison Street 600 S to Lake Street rougly 3 S it changed in less than 10 years! Then in the 70's it was finished off from Lake Street to the tracks North of North Avenue No doubt the riots played a big role but West Side Community were worried even in the late 50's seeing North Lawndale and East Garfield Park go so fast. In about 30 years an entire region of Chicago just totally emptied out. My Great Aunt and Uncle native West Siders now in their 70's still have a hard time wrapping their hands around it all.
This is an interesting exercise. But given the time frame we're talking about here, my gut tells me it's entirely possible that UIC didn't want to be in West Garfield Park, because of fears of continued white flight. Sure, it would have been grand for the west side if it had worked, but had the area continued to experience white flight (the pattern of which was very clear by 1961), the new UIC would have been completely surrounded by 'hood. Not sure those in charge at UIC would have wanted to take that kind of chance.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:10 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Doesn't surprise me but I know for a fact there was still a great deal of mob activity, whatever the proportion of Italians was. There are still some Italians over there. Not many, but some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago