Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:47 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that I don't meet a lot of people in the city who went to non-elite colleges or mid major colleges like NIU Eastern Illionois, or other smaller regional colleges. They all seem to be from U of M, U of I, IU, etc. To get into U of I or U of M or IU's business school, you generally need to be in the top 10% of your highschool class! In high school, getting into a college like U of M is just rare and an amazing accomplishment, but in Chicago, it seems like they are just another college. I even know people who are getting into U of Chicago for their MBA's. Your just a big fish in a big pond. So are kids from these other colleges just not wanting to move to Chicago, or not getting recruited?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 12:44 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Not really sure what you are asking. In my experience there are wide range of successful people in Chicago and its desirable suburbs. Many folks that have the drive and skills to succeed in the competitive industries that command the highest salaries very likely went to colleges that foster that competitiveness.

Of course folks that may have gone to less prestigious schools but perhaps worked harder to make their own luck can do every bit as well, perhaps even better given that they probably have less of a sense of entitlement / more to prove. I know more than a few people that have gone to SIU, ISU, EIU, WIU or the other second tier schools from neighboring states that are quite successful. Of course there are not a whole lot of sports bars that are going to bother trying to track down some satellite feed of a non Division 1a football game so that makes it a lot less likely to stumble into some alumni packed bar cheering for the Panthers, Salukis, Leathernecks, Redbirds etc...

The degree to which one's network of alumni connections can help to foster one's success is hard to quantify. In fields where having an inside edge is vitally important ones personality and likability are hugely important. In other areas where the technical mastery of a subject and individual achievement are more important it is fair to say that the range of less socially adept people can achieve success is wider. I suspect very few successful physicians were known for being the "social chair" of their fraternity or sorority though I suspect many top salespeople could say that they have always been good at finding ways to resonate with people...

Old 09-14-2013, 01:37 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Chicago is a relatively expensive city with a disproportionate share of high-income/high-status jobs compared to smaller Midwest cities. It makes sense that there would be a lot more graduates from top-ranked schools here than most other cities.

As a bit of perspective, when I lived in Boston, it seemed like every other person I met was an Ivy League graduate, and pretty much every single physician at my teaching hospital had an Ivy League or equivalent background.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So are kids from these other colleges just not wanting to move to Chicago, or not getting recruited?
I know a lot of people from "other" colleges and such. It just depends on where you hang out in and what not. If you hang out in Lincoln Park, Old Town, Lakeview, etc then of course you aren't going to see them as much - they dilute the overall field because these areas are big 10 central.

Also someone who went to Grinnell or something probably isn't going to give a **** about rooting for their sports team here (What are they, D3?).

I think you are just paying attention to what you see. There's plenty of people in the city who went to non big 10 schools.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I know a lot of people from "other" colleges and such. It just depends on where you hang out in and what not. If you hang out in Lincoln Park, Old Town, Lakeview, etc then of course you aren't going to see them as much - they dilute the overall field because these areas are big 10 central.

Also someone who went to Grinnell or something probably isn't going to give a **** about rooting for their sports team here (What are they, D3?).

I think you are just paying attention to what you see. There's plenty of people in the city who went to non big 10 schools.
So what other areas besides the north side are you referring to? Thats basically where every professional with a degree lives.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
So what other areas besides the north side are you referring to? Thats basically where every professional with a degree lives.
Every professional with a degrees lives there? I think you need to get out more if you really think that...

I even know lawyers who make around $200,000 a year who live in Avondale and CEOs of small companies who live in Logan Square. I know plenty of people all over this city with college degrees not to mention the South Side. Afterall, U of Chicago is in Hyde Park and Obama lives in Kenwood..Many people in Bucktown, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, etc with college degrees who are "professionals." MANY. I have coworkers who live near the United Center and Humboldt Park who went to Northwestern too. A lot from many parts of the city are "professionals."

Old 09-14-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Every professional with a degrees lives there? I think you need to get out more if you really think that...

I even know lawyers who make around $200,000 a year who live in Avondale and CEOs of small companies who live in Logan Square. I know plenty of people all over this city with college degrees not to mention the South Side. Afterall, U of Chicago is in Hyde Park and Obama lives in Kenwood..Many people in Bucktown, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, etc with college degrees who are "professionals." MANY. I have coworkers who live near the United Center and Humboldt Park who went to Northwestern too. A lot from many parts of the city are "professionals."
Buck town and wicker park at the north side. Northwester is also a really good college. You were saying that outside of the northside, a lot of people went to non-elite colleges.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Buck town and wicker park at the north side. Northwester is also a really good college. You were saying that outside of the northside, a lot of people went to non-elite colleges.
Since when is Bucktown and Wicker Park the north side? North side is Lincoln Park, Lakeview, North Center, etc. Not Bucktown or Wicker Park. They are Northwest Side, which is not the same as "north side."

There's plenty of people outside of that who went to good/decent schools. U of Chicago is in Hyde Park on the SOUTH side, which is ranked as one of the top 5 colleges in the entire world. You'll find people in those areas, and I know others in areas closer to Midway too on the SW side who went to good colleges.

We are talking about professionals, and again if you really think they only live on the north side, then you need to get out more. Let's also not forget that Beverly actually has a higher median income than Lincoln Park, and Mount Greenwood is almost the same.

Last edited by marothisu; 09-14-2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 04:22 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
What a dumb statement. Are there some neighborhoods with higher percentages of their residents having degrees? Sure. There are people with degrees living all over the city though.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:23 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Where's your cutoff point for non-elite and elite school, because Chicago has many universities besides U of C and Northwestern? Or, are you implying that people who went to non-elite schools in other parts of the country simply aren't moving to Chicago, where as people who went to elite schools are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago