Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 AM

329 posts, read 1,032,453 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks guys for being so helpful and informative. Much better than the SF city data community who are incessantly snarky.

I like that Chicago guys are becoming more style-conscious. One thing that's nice about the Bay Area and LA is that straight men are more European in the sense that they are wearing more slimmer fits, and are taking more care of their appearance. I'm not really used to being around a lot of meatheads/Jersey Shore types, so that I wouldn't love. But as you all say, as long as I'm not out in the white bread suburbs I can't imagine I'll encounter a lot of that.

It's weird that a couple of commenters have said that Chicago is not worldly nor does it have international flair. How can that even be possible for a city with 10+ million!?

What are the most walkable, urban neighborhoods that are relatively safe in Chicago you'd recommend? Would Wicker Park be too expensive for a couple with a combined income of 100K?

And is it true that Chicago sort of feels like a "mini NYC"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 11:58 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,066,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I like that Chicago guys are becoming more style-conscious. One thing that's nice about the Bay Area and LA is that straight men are more European in the sense that they are wearing more slimmer fits, and are taking more care of their appearance. I'm not really used to being around a lot of meatheads/Jersey Shore types, so that I wouldn't love. But as you all say, as long as I'm not out in the white bread suburbs I can't imagine I'll encounter a lot of that.
Well in some areas you'll find that. Like next to Boystown is Wrigleyville which is where the Cubs play, so you'll find a ton of bros there and they live around there too. Parts of Lincoln Park south of Lakeview (where Boystown and Wrigleyville) are the same way. IMO though the eastern portion of both of these neighborhoods near the lake is definitely less like that.

Quote:
It's weird that a couple of commenters have said that Chicago is not worldly nor does it have international flair. How can that even be possible for a city with 10+ million!?
It entirely depends on where you are and your situation in all honesty. Is it possible to have a non worldy experience in Chicago? Absolutely, but again it depends on some things. I personally am friends with a lot of foreign people and people who travel around the world every year. Although many of us enjoy sports, it's not stuff we normally talk about. On the other hand, I have other acquaintances who the only thing they talk about are women, sports, etc.

it's what you make of it in all honesty. There's a lot of sports or irish bar/pubs in Chicago, but there's also a lot of other stuff. I think some people on here really take what they see in areas like bro areas of Lakeview and Lincoln Park, and think that's how the entire city is. In reality it's a city of 3 million with 10 million in the area. Find the right place to live in for you, and if that turns out to be wrong, then realize there's still tons of people around.

Quote:
What are the most walkable, urban neighborhoods that are relatively safe in Chicago you'd recommend? Would Wicker Park be too expensive for a couple with a combined income of 100K?
Assuming you don't have not a ton of debt, and get a 1 bedroom, I think it would be fine in all honesty, especially if you didn't have a car which is definitely do-able and don't like to spend $700/weekend on food and drink.

For a combined income of $100K, you could live in a lot of areas, again assuming no debt. Lakeview, Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Logan Square, Avondale, Lincoln Square, Bridgeport, Pilsen, Hyde Park, Gold Coast, River North, Streeterville, West Loop, South Loop, etc.

Quote:
And is it true that Chicago sort of feels like a "mini NYC"?
Well, you could say that about some areas downtown because it has a lot of tall buildings. There are obvious differences though, but in general, very walkable and don't need a car, etc.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:16 PM

498 posts, read 730,305 times
Quote:
Things are a lot cheaper in Chicago. Imo, you can live in any neighborhood if you have a combined income of ~$100k. Wicker Park and Bucktown are definitely very walkable/safe, as are Lakeview, Lincoln Park, River North, Gold Coast, Old Town, West Loop, and many other neighborhoods

Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM

^ Unless you have a decent amount of debt, but otherwise I agree, especially if you don't need a car (especially if you don't own it if you have one).

Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM

329 posts, read 1,032,453 times
I only have $10,000 left in student loans, and about $3,000 in credit card debt...

Old 09-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I only have $10,000 left in student loans, and about $3,000 in credit card debt...
Not a TON, but I think with $100k that would work out pretty well. Guess it depends on your lifestyle of course, but if you have $100K combined in salary per year, then that's $7692 per month pre tax together. I'm going to guess that after taxes, any health insurances, 401k, and stock incentives, you'd probably be taking home $4500 - $5400 per month? (depends on how the salaries are divided up I guess).

So I guess you could go from there. Even if it's $4500/month, then if you rented a 1 bedroom in one of these areas mentioned for $1200/month (maybe $1300/month), plus say $100/month for cell phones for both of you (could be a little more, not familiar with plans), and an extra $150/month for internet, cable/satellite (if not already included), and any utilities if you have to pay for, then that leaves you with something like $3050 - $3950/month. $100 each for unlimited public transit and that's $2850 - $3750/month. If you paid $700/month to your debts or something, then you're still left with $2350-$3250/month probably.

I think the above is doable for all the other stuff like to have a lifestyle in town and still save some money. Of course though, some of the numbers above depend on how the pay is actually divvied up, which is why I chose such a big range for pay per month.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 PM

5,993 posts, read 13,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Again. Bull****. There's a difference between not doing it yourself and tolerance. Do you have to be gay to accept gay people? No, so you don't have to practice fashion forwardness to tolerate it. And in my experience, I have never run into anybody giving two ****s about my fashion forwardness in this city like I have in some other states/cities.

And yet, nobody has ever said anything to me and people in these neighborhoods at bars still talk to me like anyone else. Oh and it's funny you bring up the ISU thing like I was bound to my experiences at ISU. I used to go to Iowa City and also Des Moines all the time, and still got **** in both of those cities. I have never experienced it in Chicago.

It's not 2000 anymore. People here tolerate it and there are those who practice fashion too now.
Well, when was the last time you spent much time in Iowa and Minnesota? What you are describing is simply nation-wide trends, which honestly 13 years is really NOT as long of a time span as people think, these trends happen slowly. Sometimes I think people exaggerate cultural changes that happen in short historical intervals. Yes there are trends, but sometimes experiences are more anecdotal.

I simply refuse to believe that Chicago has culturally advanced light years in 10-15 years, while the entire rest of the region is stuck in the distant past.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 PM

5,993 posts, read 13,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber clever user name View Post
Wow, that really sucks. My sympathies to you. I am not gay nor am I one of those people who think it should even be an issue (I mean in terms of anyone discussing their sexual or romantic proclivities) but I certainly think it's effed up for people to scream stuff out of the window.

When I hear "straight" men doing sh*t like that, I feel they are latent as hell. A REAL straight guy isn't terrified of seeing two gay guys go at it if it doesn't turn him on...

But River North is NOT Chicago, IMO. Not what my Chicago stands for. It's very touristy and filled with people who have lots of money but it isn't very interesting to me as part of the city. In other words, it probably attracts lots of shallow people in the first place. Go to areas like Boystown/Lakeview, Andersonville, maybe Wicker Park/Bucktown and you will see more out-of-the-box types.
?? From my experiences River North IS the most fashionable area of Chicago - at least in terms of being similar to the stereotype of Manhattan/Hollywood. The other neighborhoods are more fashionable in a distinct hipster way.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Well, when was the last time you spent much time in Iowa and Minnesota?
Iowa? 6 months ago.
Minnesota? 9 months ago.

My parents, brother, and sister currently live in Minnesota and I'm there a few times a year for various holidays. I also go to my alma mater in Iowa, as well as Iowa City and Des Moines area, a few times per year and stay for 4-5 days at a time.

Quote:
I simply refuse to believe that Chicago has culturally advanced light years in 10-15 years, while the entire rest of the region is stuck in the distant past.
Nobody said light years, but I'm speaking from my own personal experience. I have never had a bad experience with being fashion forward in Chicago and many men in Chicago are becoming more and more conscious of the stuff. Even if they aren't fashion forward, they are not necessarily all just defaulting to crap Abercrombie/American Eagle/etc or loose fitting tshirt/crap jeans/shorts type of dress.

Again though, as a resident of Chicago, I'm telling you that a lot of people simply do not care if you are wearing something fashion forward (unless it's just completely ridiculously out there like wearing a trash bag as fashion (there's a famous pic from the CTA)). Really, what do I have to gain by telling people this? I can't think of anything. Let's get real here, we're on a forum that almost nobody in real life actually reads. My opinion is not going to change a popular opinion about an area that people may have out there. I'm just telling you my personal experience and being around other people (i.e. friends) that are the same way.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
?? From my experiences River North IS the most fashionable area of Chicago - at least in terms of being similar to the stereotype of Manhattan/Hollywood. The other neighborhoods are more fashionable in a distinct hipster way.
I disagree. it certainly is one of the more fashionable areas of Chicago, but everytime I am out in areas like Wicker Park, Bucktown, Ukrainian Village, and Logan Square (to name a few) I see far more "fashion forwardness" than I do in River North. People in River North/Gold Coast/etc know how to dress well on average, and there's fashion forwardness for sure, but there's many people who dress nicely but in a safe kind of way. In the neighborhoods above, people are more forward with the fashion for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago