Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 PM

17 posts, read 29,259 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia is top city in smartphone thefts, AAA says | 6abc.com

I would just like to point out that Chicago did not make this list, even though many would ASSUME Chicago would be #1 because of the Sunday Tribune Headlines about iPhone thefts. I think a lot of people PERCEIVE the crime in the city to be far worse than it actually is. And it's probably because the media sensationalizes EVERY INCIDENT, which, in turn, scares people, which boosts their ratings/readership! It's disgusting.

Please, I'm not arguing that the violence reported on in the South and West sides is "overblown". It is very real and very sad. But if I see one more iPhone theft story in the Tribune, I will lose it. Don't they have ANYTHING else to talk about? I mean, COME ON, we're the third largest city in the country!! UGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,977,824 times
Once it hits the north side, it's news. Pretty sad..

Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,229,558 times
The media doesn't sensationalize every incident, what an absurd comment. My cousin's friend was robbed of her phone at the Kimball brown line station last month at gunpoint at 9am on a weekday, didn't make the news. The only time the media brings it up is when it happens on Michigan Ave or in another tourist hotspot.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:31 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,996,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
The media doesn't sensationalize every incident, what an absurd comment. My cousin's friend was robbed of her phone at the Kimball brown line station last month at gunpoint at 9am on a weekday, didn't make the news. The only time the media brings it up is when it happens on Michigan Ave or in another tourist hotspot.
Just because you don't see it the same way you think it's absurd?

Sensationalism is what gets ratings. It's not just a Chicago thing. People need to start demanding more and stop watching the news.

It's no surprise that Chicago is not in the top 10 cities for iPhone theft. We think it may be because we live here and get tired of hearing about the negative news in or city.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Just because you don't see it the same way you think it's absurd?

Sensationalism is what gets ratings. It's not just a Chicago thing. People need to start demanding more and stop watching the news.

It's no surprise that Chicago is not in the top 10 cities for iPhone theft. We think it may be because we live here and get tired of hearing about the negative news in or city.
No, I think it is absurd because they really don't report on it that much. As I said, they only report on it when it is in a tourist hotspot. Do people around here really think the media shouldn't be reporting on what is going on in the city?

Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,504,940 times
Walking the streets I noticed a high number of women carrying their phones in their back pocket with the phone clearly exposed. I guess this is a fashion statement? Anyway, that's like putting a sign on your back saying, here's my phone, please take it!

Old 08-22-2013, 06:41 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,727,882 times
Chicago is not in the top 10, these statistics must be wrong.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 AM

My biggest issue with phone thefts/robberies are the ****ing corporations that won't do anything about protecting their consumers from having their phone stolen from them. There are things they can do to make stolen phones inoperable but they don't do anything as they only care about increasing profits.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,493,153 times
Default The article makes me wonder about a few things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Chicago is not in the top 10, these statistics must be wrong.
I suspect this is old news: Top US Cities for Smartphone Loss and Theft | Visual.ly

When I try to find stats about which city even has the most iPhones per capita the data is just not out there --
Google

which city has most smart phones per capita - Wolfram|Alpha

This is kinda interesting: Map the iPhone Users In Any City, And You Know Where the Rich Live - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities ( I got that result from Bing, but it was way down the list, I just remembered seeing it...)

Old 08-22-2013, 07:29 AM

45 posts, read 92,723 times
Don't you think it's pretty douchebaggish to buy a phone worth $500 and flaunt it around? Especially when it was produced by SLAVE LABOR?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago