Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Do people around here really think the media shouldn't be reporting on what is going on in the city?
Obviously the media should report on what's going on in the city. The problem is that there is a limited amount of time in a broadcast and limited space above the fold/for headlines. Phone thefts are reported as though they're the biggest news of the day, while news like city council votes get buried or completely ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Obviously the media should report on what's going on in the city. The problem is that there is a limited amount of time in a broadcast and limited space above the fold/for headlines. Phone thefts are reported as though they're the biggest news of the day, while news like city council votes get buried or completely ignored.
But the media doesn't report that much on phone thefts. There are 3 instances I can think of in the last 2 months that they've reported on, taking up about 1 minute of coverage each. 4th of July weekend when the good samaritan chased the robber down, the girl from Florida who aided someone and the Air & Water show thefts. It just isn't covered all that often.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 AM

45 posts, read 92,672 times
Lots of them in Oak Park. I find these stats hard to believe...

Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insert witty user name View Post
Lots of them in Oak Park. I find these stats hard to believe...
Lots of what?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM

45 posts, read 92,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Lots of what?
??? Um...iThefts? Are we doing bong hitz 4 Jayzuss, chum?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insert witty user name View Post
??? Um...iThefts? Are we doing bong hitz 4 Jayzuss, chum?
Ok, I'm sure Oak Park should be in the top 10 then.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:16 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Fear sells. Theft is scary. Theft of iPhones is scary to people of a demographic desired by advertisers. It's a business model. Good journalism is mostly dead, at least in the traditional outlets.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Sensationalism is what gets ratings. It's not just a Chicago thing.
Growing up in smaller TV markets, I used to naively think that the poor quality of the local news I saw was due to the podunk places I lived. I imagined that it must be much better in larger cities, the way newspapers in larger cities are usually better quality than newspapers in smaller cities. Not so much, as it turns out. Local TV news is pretty much equally bad everywhere. The production budget/quality appears to vary with market size, but the formula for the actual "news" itself is all the same, and it all sucks.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:28 AM

89 posts, read 179,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
My biggest issue with phone thefts/robberies are the ****ing corporations that won't do anything about protecting their consumers from having their phone stolen from them. There are things they can do to make stolen phones inoperable but they don't do anything as they only care about increasing profits.
They already do that, kind of. When report your phone as stolen, your phone's IMEI # or ESN becomes blacklisted and basically useless on its original carrier.

The strange thing is eBay allows people to sell phones with bad/blocked ESN

Old 08-22-2013, 09:52 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Totally true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Growing up in smaller TV markets, I used to naively think that the poor quality of the local news I saw was due to the podunk places I lived. I imagined that it must be much better in larger cities, the way newspapers in larger cities are usually better quality than newspapers in smaller cities. Not so much, as it turns out. Local TV news is pretty much equally bad everywhere. The production budget/quality appears to vary with market size, but the formula for the actual "news" itself is all the same, and it all sucks.
We have a family member that earned a degree in journalism then went on to law school. They thought it would be interesting to be a "TV reporter" and after bouncing around from Green Bay WI to the Quad Cities and Shreveport LA it finally dawned on the guy that all he was doing was telling the same not very important stories to people with slightly different accents but otherwise a great propensity to respond more to the fast food and car dealer ads than any of the "news items". He moved back home and got a job with a smaller state agency that actually runs an efficient budget...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago