Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,006 times

Advertisements

I recently looked at an apartment in Logan Square on the corner of Kimball/Diversey/Milwaukee, a large studio for $700, very cute, except I wasn't sure of the neighborhood. I'm a 29 year old female, will be living alone, do you think it's safe for me? It's also a first floor apartment which I've always heard is a bad idea to have.
From reading up on the area I've heard anything west of Kimball is not great, I didn't know if being on Kimball was going to be bad as well. I've looked at some of the crime rates in the area and it makes me nervous. Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default If you don't feel comfortable...

...then don't do it. It does not matter how "street smart" you are if some creep wants to break in a d steal your stuff it is a lot easier to get in / out of a first floor place than a secure high rise. Heaven forbide if some real criminal sees you come back home late at night and figures a first floor unit makes for an easier target.

People that pay more for a secure building with a doorman are buying piece of mind.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Thanks Chet! I think I'm slowly talking myself out of it, and that definitely helps! I love the actual apartment, but I'm not in love with the area.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 PM

There are lots of other options. $700 / studio is not such a screaming deal that you could not find something that you feel safer with, maybe just a building that is a little more secure.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikid View Post
Thanks Chet! I think I'm slowly talking myself out of it, and that definitely helps! I love the actual apartment, but I'm not in love with the area.
Just to let you know, as I think you are new to these Chicago boards, Chet is the resident anti-Chicago poster. I would take his advice with a BIG grain of salt. He will do anything and everything to convince you that you should move to the suburbs and not live in the city. He has probably never visited that intersection before in his life.

That area is perfectly fine. A little gritty looking but it's safe. Obviously, I wouldn't walk around alone at 3am but I wouldn't do that in almost any place in any city. The area is really cleaning up though and gentrifying. So it could be exciting to live around there as new bars and hot restaurants are contantly opening up. Have lived in the area for 26 years and there is nothing to fear.

In regards to west of Kimball. It's not bad west of Kimball. I think more so when you get west of Pulaski.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Just to let you know, as I think you are new to these Chicago boards, Chet is the resident anti-Chicago poster. I would take his advice with a BIG grain of salt. He will do anything and everything to convince you that you should move to the suburbs and not live in the city. He has probably never visited that intersection before in his life.

That area is perfectly fine. A little gritty looking but it's safe. Obviously, I wouldn't walk around alone at 3am but I wouldn't do that in almost any place in any city. The area is really cleaning up though and gentrifying. So it could be exciting to live around there as new bars and hot restaurants are contantly opening up. Have lived in the area for 26 years and there is nothing to fear.

In regards to west of Kimball. It's not bad west of Kimball. I think more so when you get west of Pulaski.
I second this. That's pretty close to the el stop. As mentioned above, be street smart as you would anywhere else in the city, but I wouldn't call it any more dangerous than anywhere else. I know a handful of females in your age range who live over there.

As far as the first floor thing, you'll have decide your own comfort level.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 PM

Thank you both very much! I'm still on the fence, but I think I'm most uncomfortable with the fact that it's a first floor unit, I do think another unit is available in that building so maybe I'll look into that. I'm definitely warming up the area though, I originally wasn't looking in that area and never really had any plans to look in Logan Square at all but I looked at this one on a whim. But I feel more at ease from your guy's opinion of the area. Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2013, 09:11 PM

93 posts, read 265,036 times
When I lived in Logan Square 2-3 years ago, it seemed like the further north you got, the less the "stay east of Kimball" rule applied (there seemed to be much more of a distinction on Armitage, for example, than on Diversey).

In addition to being close to the "L" you would also be reasonably close to Logan Blvd, which is a beautiful place to run/walk/hang out in the summer and fall.

I understand the qualms about being on the first floor, but otherwise I don't think the neighborhood would be something to worry about any more than any other reasonably safe area in Chicago.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:49 PM

Default What a load of horse pucky! Somebody can't read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Just to let you know, as I think you are new to these Chicago boards, Chet is the resident anti-Chicago poster. I would take his advice with a BIG grain of salt. He will do anything and everything to convince you that you should move to the suburbs and not live in the city. ...
Anything unclear about the SOLID REASONING for my recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are lots of other options. $700 / studio is not such a screaming deal that you could not find something that you feel safer with, maybe just a building that is a little more secure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...then don't do it. It does not matter how "street smart" you are if some creep wants to break in a d steal your stuff it is a lot easier to get in / out of a first floor place than a secure high rise. Heaven forbide if some real criminal sees you come back home late at night and figures a first floor unit makes for an easier target.

People that pay more for a secure building with a doorman are buying piece of mind.
"calling out other members" is a vioation of TOS. Post had been reported

Old 07-06-2013, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
I live east of there (Avondale Triangle) but am up that way a fair amount. It's been on an upswing, in terms of gentrification. However, I'm not sure I'd give a thumbs up to a female living in a first-floor apartment around there. There's a fair amount of MLD activity around, as well as some muggings around the Logan Square stop. These are issues you'll have to face anywhere in the city, but I'd try a bit further south and east, if you can. There's a lot of really pretty old buildings in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: