Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:41 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,336,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsj View Post
Then it hit me, i'm almost 45 now...maybe i'm too old for the Lincoln Park/LakeView/Boystown area?
I'm a 52-year-old gay male, and I'm still here in East Lakeview. So it can be done. I do have to admit that nowadays I'm finding the Boystown nightlife scene a little too intense compared to how I took to it when I was younger. I still like East Lakeview's daytime vibe, however -- the shops, the eateries, etc.

As others have mentioned already, Andersonville does have a quieter, gentler vibe compared to Boystown, especially for more mature gay males who are partnered. And you do have a better chance of realizing your wish list at your price point on the Far North Side as compared to the more popular neighborhoods closer to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM

725 posts, read 3,018,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsj View Post
Thanks and Thanks for the quick replies! Didn't expect that to be so quick.

MJ: Its still in an early planning stage, but I would be relocating with my partner (36)...no children. Price point (Assuming apartment for the 1st year of the move:
~1500/mon max.
- 2 bedroom/2 bath
- washer & dryer in the unit
- at least 1 garage spot
- modern, clean, quiet+++

Probably an unreasonable request but those are 'ideal' not required.

Thanks again!
Re: Lakeview - It depends on how social you want to be. Lakeview is good for walkability and convenience (to red line stations, to nightlife, restaurants/shops, to your friends, etc) though you have to remember that hundreds of drunks (including gays, frat boys, and trixies) at wee hours will quickly get annoying. Andersonville would be the second gayest neighborhood in my opinion, followed by Rogers Park. The trajectory is usually something like Lakeview (20s), Aville/Edgewater (30s), Rogers Park (40s) haha.

For your wish list, most of Lakeview will be expensive vintage apartments with no w/d or an old coin-operated w/d unit in the basement of the building. Newer condo units will have w/d though $1500 is kind of low balling it. Aville has some newer buildings that could accommodate your request. Rogers Park as well, though not a whole lot of new construction. There certainly are a lot of rehabbed buildings that can work, and RP will get your money the furthest. If you want to be closer to downtown and high rise living, the South Loop is growing in LGBT presence (at least, according to Grindr hahah), though it's still a mixed demographic of yuppies, med students, college kids, stroller moms, etc. and is completely gentrified (the only downside is that you really don't have a neighborhood feel compared to the north side). I'd also recommend the West Loop which has a similar demographic as the Sloop, but personally I'd rather be closer to the lake/ red line/ lake shore drive than the highways.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,589,617 times
I'll second the Edgewater votes. Very gay friendly with a little grit here and there. Quite a few restored buildings that will have in unit washer & dryer, hardwood floors, yadda yadda.

I've noticed a rather large older gay population off Morse (red line) in Rogers Park. That area seems to have some momentum as well.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM

92 posts, read 161,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I was going to a shop near Andersonville, and I went down Greenview just south of Foster. Wow such beautiful homes! And quiet. Check that area,, its really beautiful! I think that street reflects other such streets down that way.
Do you mean Greenview south of Montrose? Greenview doesn't run up to Foster. Greenview south of Montrose is beautiful, especially around Hutchinson.

Andersonville is a nice area, as is Ravenswood, on the side streets near Montrose and Ashland.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,485,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
You might be able to find that in Berwyn, which is a first-ring suburb that has been increasingly popular with partnered gay couples.
True. Berwyn's gay households increased by 41% between 2000 and 2010 and it's now the third ranked city in Illinois for same-sex couples per thousand households (just behind Oak Park and Evanston). This is definitely a welcome and growing segment of the city's population.

Berwyn touts gay growth | Blogs | News | OakPark.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago