Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
Well, you know Cubans (they do know their food). But, this spot is only a 15 minute walk from the OP, so it's probably worth a try. Thanks for your post.
i agree, and it's good food. I was just throwing some other stuff out there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 PM

106 posts, read 173,168 times
Thanks for all the great options, here is what I have has

Mr. Pollo - very very good chicken and pretty damn cheap
Kuma Corner - good chicken burger, really rude people though.
Taqueria traspazada - pretty good authentic Mexican, super nice and good price

I plan on hitting all of of the offerings here.. And very very exciting

Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Smoque for bbq.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
Thanks for all the great options, here is what I have has

Mr. Pollo - very very good chicken and pretty damn cheap
Kuma Corner - good chicken burger, really rude people though.
Taqueria traspazada - pretty good authentic Mexican, super nice and good price

I plan on hitting all of of the offerings here.. And very very exciting
If you go to Orbit Room try their Rumchata very good!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Little Bucharest is a nice little Romanian bistro. Technically in Irving Park but close enough. I also like the little BYOB patio out in front of El Potosi just up the street from Little Bucharest. The food itself is nothing spectacular but there's something homey about their little outdoor dining area. Settle in with a couple of friends and a six-pack of Carta Blanca.

I was intrigued by Nelly's Saloon (another Romanian joint) around the corner from Kuma's. But the minute I walked in I was greeted by reeking cigarette smoke and glares from the three guys in there that gave me a sense that I wasn't welcome. So I turned around and walked out. Maybe you'll get a different vibe from the place than I did if you give it a whirl.

Another place to hit up that's technically in Irving Park but right on the Irving Park/Avondale line is Mirabell. One of the last old-school German joints in the city and still one of the best.

Last edited by Drover; 06-03-2013 at 09:29 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 10:07 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post

The Best:
Square - Very good food and I prefer over Kuma's. A lot more variety in their food. Place that merits almost a weekly visit for me. Decent place for nightlife too.
!
I'd be surprised if we hadnt crossed paths there before. Burger rivals Kumas and beer list is typically exceptional

Old 06-03-2013, 10:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
They must have come a long way since the couple times I checked 'em out; I think they had just opened then and maybe they hadn't found their stride yet. The impression i got is that it was just a gussied-up corner bar that was mostly riding on Kuma's coattails and taking in the spillover of people who didn't feel like waiting in line for an hour.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:26 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They must have come a long way since the couple times I checked 'em out; I think they had just opened then and maybe they hadn't found their stride yet. The impression i got is that it was just a gussied-up corner bar that was mostly riding on Kuma's coattails and taking in the spillover of people who didn't feel like waiting in line for an hour.
Well personally, I'm a fan of the simple corner bar with a few tables. They have become slightly busier, but you still get a ton of folks who stop in for a drink or two and walk back across the street. The burger is among the best that you dont have to wait an hour for, great chips, sweet potatoe fries, and bbq sauce

Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Something I forgot to mention about Joong Boo - if you are a fan of sushi..sashimi, then go there on Wednesdays. They have a huge platter of fresh sashimi for like $25. Pretty sure it's like 40+ pieces of fish. Amazing deal (and it's $35 normally which is still a great deal).

Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I'd be surprised if we hadnt crossed paths there before. Burger rivals Kumas and beer list is typically exceptional
Yeah their burgers do rival Kuma's. Only thing is Square only has a few types of burgers while Kuma's has dozens. Anyway, their other food is pretty good too, especially their sweet potato fries with bbq sauce. Delicious!

We probably have crossed paths. I will frequent it usually after work on Fridays to grab something quick to eat, for Sunday brunch or if I have someone in town visiting and want's to go to Kuma's, we do our crazy wait at Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago