Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 03:49 PM

24 posts, read 30,373 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my husband and I will be moving to Chicago in a few weeks. I have a few questions though that I'm having trouble sorting out myself (I lived in Chicago from 2006-2008).

1) We want to have a month to month lease, since we plan on buying a place this summer. Anyone know of any reasonable places? We may even do a short term stay hotel, anything for just a month or two.

2) Dunno what neighborhood to live in that would fit this criteria when we buy: he will be taking classes at Truman to fulfill pre-nursing prerequisites and then attending UIC starting in January 2015 (maybe taking classes there earlier). I'll be working at the Archer stop on the Orange line. I am assuming a place on the red/blue/brown lines would be best, but I'm not sure of an exact area. We'd like to stay on the north side, or maybe even a safer area of the west side, as long as property is affordable (we'd like to have a 2 bedroom or more, price limit of 200k). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 04:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,728,818 times
You might find something that is month-to-month around Boystown or even the Belmont Red line stop, but be be prepared to pay a signficant premium, and really not sure why you would need to -- sound like you you already realize that a trip via the El's orange line is gonna require a transfer (presumably at Roosevelt) and unless there is some reason that you should endure a transfer filled commute but your friend cannot then it probably just makes sense to find a "regular" full year lease...

Truman Is walking distance from Wilson red line stop...

I guess you should grateful you don't need to rely on the south side red line. Sounds like a mess with many commuters waiting extended periods for shuttles.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:51 PM

24 posts, read 30,373 times
We don't want to do a year lease though because we want to buy a place.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:53 PM

198 posts, read 824,378 times
What may be a good fit and avoid the premium short terms charge is an association rental. Many associations rent units that are foreclosed to cover assessments until the bank resells the property. They are month to month but be aware that they can cancel it just the same as you so you aren't in total control but you also aren't stuck in a year lease. Also the rents are typically below market because of the risk. Another option is a sublet, which is a defined term but typically between 3-6 months. Most home searches aren't concluded in a weekend, then there's the closing process which typically is another month, so this would be a way to get you a shorter term than a year but avoid being kicked out before you close. Then of course there's the 5-6 month rentals that are available at a premium at many of the downtown apartment complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: